Following the Roadmap: Voting to Test our Proposed APHE Shell Changes

I’m completely down for nerfing this shells damage and changing the damage to a cone for the sake of realism, especially since not every country uses APHE shells and the ones that do have a massive advantage. However I would absolutely love to see solid shot, APDS, APCR, and HEAT/HEAT-FS shells receive a damage radius improvement along with this (specifically APCR AND HEAT/HEAT-FS).
APCR for example was a lot stronger IRL and acted more like solid shit, however it has practically zero damage radius or spalling ingame.

7 Likes

Germans aren’t the only ones with Cupola weakspots…

Also I don’t think I’ve ever been cupola shot as a KT.

3 Likes

btw, this will also benefit to soviet tanks you all hate)

3 Likes

but for many tanks, cupolas are the only place where they can penetrate and kill germans.

1 Like

Good changes

There is no reason APHE should be so unrealistically strong while all other shells are realistic

1 Like

Why not do both make AP APcr apds and hesh consistent and make AP he less over performing?

1 Like

3 Likes

It will benefit the hundreds of tanks ingame who don’t have APHE and have to constantly fight against overperforming APHE

Mostly British/French tanks

3 Likes

In the example you brought up. There aren’t many tanks with the short 75mm that face the Tigers and Panthers anymore. They more commonly face the long 76mm.

1 Like

I need to disagree. The problem at lower tiers isn’t with APHE being too strong, it’s with other shells being stupidly bad.

Not everything that is realistic is good for the game, if you really want it that bad just throw this mechanic to sim only and leave AB and RB unaffected.

This change makes a tone of vehicles impossible to balance and makes the game more frustrating to play. APHE in current state is what balances out armor profiles of tanks. This change will absolutely decimate value of weakspot knowledge and make one shot kills less likely which will definitely not help the game

1 Like

i gave you bunch of different examples. can you show me how to destroy tiger 2h when you on the t-34-85/sherman without shooting in cupola?

2 Likes

AP performs realtively realistically, APHE does not

The obvious option is to correct APHE instead of making AP perform unrealisitcally well

3 Likes

If this change makes a tank like the Tiger II significantly stronger, it will inevitably go up in BR

Shooting the cupola before was not a viable option, it only shows that you could on the armor viewer but in reality its practically almost impossible. The realistic thing to do is not engage the KT and just flank.

The APHE is fun to use primarily because it is very reliable. That’s also why cold war vehicles who have access to “better” rounds like HEAT-FS and APDS still choose to use it - they want the guarantee of a kill and not the RNG fest that are “realistic” damage models that plague these rounds. As such APHE shouldn’t be nerfed, instead solid AP should be buffed to be more reliable.

Second thing is the balance - they’ve already shown one example - Tiger H1. Without it’s cupola weakspot it will perform statistically the same as the Tiger E, meaning that they will get the same BR, with the only difference being that the H1 will be more annoying to play because of the corner infantry grenades. Same with the 75 Jumbo - gone would be the cupola weakspot, MG port becomes unreliable if shot at an angle (which are usually difficult shots to make) and the lower side weakspot currently only works reliably thanks to APHE shooting the spall at a 90 degree angle up - meaning that this tank will overperform, get raised to 6.0, where it will get penned frontally by most guns and the community will cry. And since KV-1B/E are premiums they won’t be touched and become even more egregious to play against, since even hitting that pixel wide hitspot won’t be enough.

Low tiers are imo best tiers, and weakspot hunting gameplay works. This change would just make getting kills unreliable and unfun - this isn’t top tier where shooting center mass is the play, you will still have to aim for driver ports and turret corners, just with this change your damage will be subject to RNG. Let it stay how it is now.

4 Likes

no, it’s not.

Realistic doesn’t mean good for the game. This change will absolutely butcher balance at ww2 BRs

1 Like

realistically does not mean fair and good.
if you complain about unrealisticness, why don’t you delete your account (or even do a wipe) after every death?

Is the cup half empty again?
Look at it from the bright side, it will make other shell types more useful.

2 Likes

making APHE act more like it really did will probs make people stop coping over solid shot as they arent going to behave much differently now