Fiat G59-4A

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Description: The Fiat G59 was an Italian post-war fighter derivated from the already existing G55 made by the Italian company Fiat. After the Second World War, the Italian Air Force asked Fiat to develop a new fighter based on the glorious WW2 fighter. And so Fiat started to study which engine could fit the G55 body in order to satisfy the Air Force request. Initially, Fiat studied using the Isotta-Fraschini Delta RC.40, but the idea was scrapped, and the Rolls-Royce Merlin was selected. The first prototype, made in 1948, was a twin-seat G55 with a Merlin engine from one of the P51s of the Italian Air Force. The ITAF was satisfied with the new aircraft and proceeded to place an initial order for 30 units. The first version, equipped with the Merlin 500/200, was designated as G59 1A–G59 1B and entered service in 1950. It was mainly used to train new pilots for jet aircraft. The second version, designated G59 2B, was a twin-seat version made for training, with 19 units being produced after 1950. The first armed version was the third one, the G59 A/2. This version, originally developed to satisfy an order emitted by the Syrian Air Force, was equipped with 4x 20 mm Hispano Suiza 20 mm cannons and two pilons for bombs and fuel tanks. A total of 30 units of this version were produced; 26 were bought by the Sirian Air Force, and the remaining 10 were bought by the Italian Air Force. Later, one was bought by Argentina for a test porpoise. But the most produced version was the last one, the G59-4A/4B. This version was made in a single- and two-seat version, with one of the main notable differences being the canopy. Compared to the previous version, which had the canopy of the normal G55, the A4 had a bubble canopy. A total of 40 units (30 A4 and 10 4B) were produced, and all entered into service with the Italian Air Force in the latest months of 1951. Those were used as trainers (like all the others G59 in Italian service) and were replaced in the early 1970s by the Mb326. This version in the specific could be armed with 4x 20 mm Hispano Suiza cannons and two pilons for bombs and fuel tanks (same armaments as the 2A version).

Why it should be in game: Like the G59 2A it could be a good fighter in the line before the G55. Since they are very similar, one could go to the line while the other one could be placed in the premium line.

Specifications

Riepilogo

Sources

Riepilogo

STORMO! Special Hobby + Italian Kits 1/72 FIAT G.59-4A by Philippe Martin
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM: Il Fiat G.59 fu un aereo da addestramento monomotore monoplano ad ala bassa a sbalzo, derivato dai precedenti G.55 Centauro e G.56
Fiat G.59 (Centauro) Fighter / Fighter-Trainer / Advanced Trainer Aircraft Specifications and Pictures
https://okb01.eu/negozio/1951-1960/fiat-g-59-4a-volo-mascellani/
Fiat G.59-4A terra – OKB01
FIAT Aviation Brochure 1956

Pictures

Riepilogo

5 Likes

I’ve always thought the G.59 was one of the best looking prop fighters, I’d love to see it ingame one day.

1 Like

Big +1 from me. One of the few early post-war planes to come out of an axis nation.

1 Like

+1 yeeess! Merlin Fiat! Fiat with a Merlin!

1 Like

Reminds me of the P-51. I like it! +1

1 Like

Afaik all 4A had only 2*12,7 mgs. Do you have any proof showing 4A having cannons or at least theoretical possibility of such armament installation?

They were able to be equipped with such configuration as my sources states.

1 Like

+1 chunky P-51 lol

1 Like

here another confirmation. From FIAT Aviation Brochure 1956

2 Likes

I think that the G.59-2A should be premium and the G.59-4A should be TT, since the -4A was for Italy and the -2A was for Syria if my memory serves me right. Other than that though the two planes are very similar

Both used by Italy

Nice, hopefully that would be enough for Gaijin. Have you seen any information about rounds per gun for HS cannons on G.59 btw?

1 Like

Unfortunatly no

Yes, but it was intended for Syria whereas the -4A was intended for Italy. Its a small thing, they’d both be very similar anyway

Yeah but that doesn’t mean a thing as Italy operated various G59 A2. Sure, a syrian A2 could be added but that doesn’t mean that the Italian One shouldnt come to the game

A +1 from me, as a fun sidenote the G.59 seen in the last photo was later rebuilt and restored under orders of the Aeronautica Millitare. They had the GAVS group restore it as a G.55, the conversion was extensive, and everything was done as it would have been done at the factory. The GAVS group even sourced a real DB 605 and 20mm MG 151s. Honestly, they did a really great job!

Spoiler

2 Likes

+1
Yes please

2 Likes