Fiat 6616 (RH202)

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

General info
The history of the Fiat 6616 began during the 1970’s, at the time the company would begin to start designing a family of vehicles for the scope of being multi-role, they would first come out with the Fiat 6614. Generally speaking, after the second world war Italy and many companies learned the need of having light armored vehicles which could be armed. So their was a gap to fill, especially because at the time most vehicles Italy would operate weren’t actually Italian, they’d be supplied by America or other nations such as Britain or France. Mainly due to those countries having a stockpile of unwanted vehicles they had no use for, so therefore a lot would serve inside the post-war Italian armed forces. The Fiat 6614 would primarily be used as an APC, as adding more armaments unto the vehicle didn’t prove to be very effective. Such examples were the Fiat 6614 with FIROS MLRS, and Fiat 6614 with a M40 Recoiless rifle. They wanted to allow the vehicle to mount actual turrets that were being used by IFV’s around the time, as stated previously fitting them unto a 6614 wasn’t going to work. So what Fiat did was heavily modify the 6614, which after several versions would eventually bring the Fiat 6616. The first prototype of the Fiat 6616 would be completed in the year of 1972, and would actually generate a lot of interest from Italy. The 6616 in terms of survivalbility was quite poor. It would only be able to withstand small caliber fire, and if lucky could protect against shell fragments. In terms of mobility however it was great, it would be able to reach speeds of 100km an hour, and gave it a range of 700km. It similarly to the 6614, would be amphibious, and would be propelled by its wheels, however it would only go at a speed of 5km an hour. Italy would buy a batch of 50 vehicles for the Carabinieri. The ones in full time service with Italy would go on to mount the OTO TC-20, an Italian made turret that used a a 20mm Rheinmetall RH202 202 autocannon, this cannon would be able to use a multitude of munitions including APDS, HEI and API. Optional equipment included the predisposition for a recoiless rifle, which was tested by the Italian army and actually put in service inside of the Peruvian one. ATGM launchers for things such as MAPAT, Milan and TOW could also be mounted however these wouldn’t be used in service. After the Italian army would receive all of the orders, Fiat, alongside OTO Melara who dealt with the armament of the 6616, were confident enough to attempt to market this vehicle for export which lead to nations such as Peru and Somalia to also place them into service. In Italian service its most popular deployment was in Lebanon, during the UN backed peacekeeping mission during the Lebanon civil war. Eventually it would be put out of service, most of them would be placed into storage, some turned into static displays and few remained in their original bases they served in.

Armament+Equipment
20mm Rheinmetall Mk.20 Rh 202 auto cannon
12.7mm Machine gun
7.62mm Machine gun
Smoke Grenades
Optional equipment:
ATGM-
MAPAT (tested by Italian army)
Milan
TOW
HJ-73C AT (used by Peruvian army)
106mm Recoiless rifle (tested by Italian army, used in service with Peruvian army)
Flare dispenser

Specifications

Spoiler

Why it should be in game
I believe it should be in game as this would be very popular among players. It allows players to use the Fiat 6616 with a different weapon system at a lower BR depending on the armament. There is also room for Gaijin to add several premiums in the form of the Peruvian or Somalian variants. Overall it would not be OP, would be a relatively easy addition.

Sources

Spoiler

Autoveicoli da combattimento dell’Esercito Italiano Dal 1956 al 1975 volume 4 (book)
Century of Italian armored cars - Nicola Pignato
L’AUTOBLINDO FIAT-6616 di Filippo Cappellano
Fiat 6616 Brochure
Fiat 6616 - Wikipedia
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM: La FIAT Tipo 6616 è un'autoblindo leggera degli anni settanta
Army Guide
https://new.qq.com/notfound.htm?uri=http://new.qq.com/omn/20180209/20180209A05TYU00.html?pc
从二战开始,各国装备大口径火炮的轮式装甲车有哪些?
Janes Light Tanks And Armoured Cars : Foss Cristopher : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Photos

Spoiler

5 Likes

+1

+1 we need it
there was also a 25 mm prototype with the oto tc 25 turret, similar to the one used on the M113 A2 DK PNMK M92

6 Likes

+1, since we got the type 87 RCV prototype. This shouldn’t be that much different.

4 Likes

+1 it would be very fun scout

2 Likes

absolutely we need this, you should make a suggestion for it !

1 Like

This vehicle would be nice to put it at BR 6.7 in the normal technology tree. We already have the version with the cannon we are missing the one with the 25mm machine gun

2 Likes

Retired Danish IFV model with a 25 mm cannon in an OTO Melara turret.

2 Likes

+1 obviously

There is one weapon that is missing that the 6616 utilized, UB-32 rocketpods salvaged from downed Mi-24’s

dDMh4Nl
79Vxvg0
E7YuA-uXoAQoKrP

4 Likes

OK so I love Italy up to 5 BR. Real unashamed fanboy, I am British not Italian.
Love the Breda 501, love the line up at 3:7 and 5.0. Just so much fun and leads to reading about Italy WW2. Educational and respectful to Italy in WW2.

As an Italy player the game at 6.7 is horrible, this fast 70s stuff is no fun especially unmodded. To face it all in a WW2 tank is terrible as well so it is a big no from me to bring more of this junk into the game.

Your post is a nice well-made piece, but I don’t like the inclusion of these never used prototypes in a WW2 game. They are upsetting and kill the game for me playing as Germany ,USA, Russia are no fun when playing Italy at 6.-7 BR.

This version is actually mass produced.

5 Likes

Ok I accept that but I don’t enjoy the game play from either side.

Magah Hydra Vibe, it would be funny.

Also there are no reason why we don’t have Fiat 6616 Rh202 already in game, this is so obvius car to be add

3 Likes

I had no idea they had done such a thing, this version with missiles could be put as a premium vehicle for italy, while the normal one would be fine in the tech tree.

1 Like

I dont think you understand that the game has never been about historical scenarios where vehicles face each other based on the date they were first made/seen. I dont see your reasoning making much sense.

If you had read the post, which to me makes it clear you did not, this was not a prototype and saw mass scale production and even export success. It was widely used in Italian service so it has every right to be seen in game.

5 Likes

I dont care what the game was (it was ww2 and two sides in fact) I care about how bad it is now and how much worse it is getting

I read the post I voted no and I said why. That is it .I hate these things in an era of WW2 tanks. They ruin the game for me.

Blockquote

So with your logic this game should have only WW2 planes

2 Likes

No that’s just your bad English

I have found internal schematics of 6616 T20

2 Likes

To note, that is of the prototype :)

2 Likes