F6U-1 Pirate | All Teeth rotten

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

The Vought F6U Pirate was the first fighter jet made by the company and was one of the first naval jets to utilize composite materials and an afterburner.
It was only used by a single squadron due to its lackluster performance and slew of mechanical problems and was retired from service in 1950. Including prototypes, only 33 aircraft were built.

History

Following a specification for a single-seat naval fighter powered by a jet engine in September of 1944, Chance Vought was awarded the contract for construction of 3 prototypes, internally designated V-340, on the 29 December 1944. These Prototypes were then given the designation XF6U Pirate.

The first test flight was completed on 2 October 1946 with a less powerful Westinghouse J34-WE-22 turbojet engine. It took until late 1947 before the last of the 3 prototypes would take to the sky and shortly thereafter a total of 30 production aircraft were ordered.

The Production aircraft differed to the prototypes, having an ejection seat, a redesigned vertical stabilizer, 2 auxiliary fins and a more Powerful Westinghouse J34-WE-30A turbojet engine with an afterburner.

The production was heavily disrupted because Chance Vought was moved from a factory in Stratford, Connecticut to another facility in Dallas, Texas.

The planes had to make a 2782km road trip because the fuselages were still made in Stratford, then trucked to Dallas to fit them with the engines and then hauled out to Ardmore, Oklahoma for acceptance testing. The first production version, the F6U-1 Pirate, made its first flight in the Summer of 1949 with Air Development Squadron 3 or VX-3, and was deemed unacceptable for operational use.

Towards the end of 1950, Vought was told that “the F6U-1 had proven so sub-marginal in performance that combat utilization is not feasible”. It was operated for a brief time by one Texas-based US Naval Reserve squadron during their transfer to jet aircraft before being used to develop arrestor gear and barriers. The production aircraft totaled a measly 945 flight hours, with some barely flying for more than 6 hours.

Specifications

Crew: 1
Length: 11.46m
Wingspan: 10m
Height: 3.39m
Wing Area: 18.9m2
Empty/Loaded Mass: 3’320kg / 5’850kg
Powerplant: 1x Westinghouse J34-WE-30A turbojet, 1429kgf without, 1916kgf with afterburner

Maximum Speed: 959km/h
Climbrate: 40.95m/s
Range: 1’880km
Surface ceiling: 14’100m

Offensive Armament: 4x 20mm M3 cannons under the nose

Pictures

Vought-F6U-1-at-the-National-Museum-of-Naval-Aviation

43114817f5ee0d988a6cfd2b1cad6292

Sources

Koehnen, Richard: “Chance Vought F6U (Naval Fighters Number Nine)” ISBN 0-942612-09-4

https://web.archive.org/web/20160304110122/http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/attractions/aircraft-exhibits/item/?item=f6u_pirate

5 Likes

Fuck yeah! I Love this idea, TBH I am a US naval Aircraft FANATIC. I deeply love the Corsairs and im warming up to the F2H Banshee and going after dem Cougars. So im Freaking Stoked at the Idea of getting more Early US Jet aircraft. TBH If I was the Original Poster I WOULD HAVE. Included some suggestions for more maps to add carriers to and such so that players could make better use of the Arrestor hooks and cables especially in Naval RB and Naval AB(God I hope Carriers are Added someday)

But The Fact that this One is Named the F6U-1 PIRATE OH LAWD I love it already. It also has an afterburner? freaking sweet! TBH since it being an early jet and having Sub optimal performance I think that BR 6.7-7.3 would be good enough for it.

TBH I just cant wait for this to be Added by Gaijin so I can Slap pirate Decals on it and just go plunder the Skies.

2 Likes

More crudler early jets please!

Here’s a diagram of some of the internal components, note the armor plates.

Spoiler

3 Likes

+1, we really need more early jets

Would be 8.0 BR for 3 modes in rank V. But I don’t know F6U-1 located before or after F9F group

Comparing the specifications of the F6U-1 and the F9F-2 according to their respective SACs, the F6U is… much worse. Perhaps the only thing it has going for it is a marginally higher stated maximum speed (518 kn vs. 500 kn).

2 Likes

Looks awful. I want it.

1 Like

I could 100% see this ending up as a battlepass vehicle