F4U Corsair "Death Whistle"

[Would you like to hear this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

I am here today to talk about the “death wistle” , a distinctive sound often associated with the F4U Corsair, an American fighter aircraft used during World War II and the Korean War. This sound, resembling a sharp and mournful wail, has been described as one of the most recognizable sounds of the aircraft.

The “death wistle” occurred when the Corsair was in a dive or performing high-speed maneuvers. The unique shape of the aircraft’s wings and the structure of its radiators caused air to flow through them in a distinctive way during high-speed maneuvers, creating this distinctive sound that was heard by both pilots and enemies on the ground.

Despite its evocative name, the “death wistle” did not have a significant impact on the performance or effectiveness of the aircraft. However, it became an iconic element in the history of military aviation, symbolizing the power and identity of the F4U Corsair.

Video

Spoiler

Sound compilation

My suggestion is to implement this the same way the F15 howl, the SU27 howl and the Gripen whistle have been implemented, making fly-by and ground battles in general more realistic.

16 Likes

I hope that blue notes in general become more common. They’re really cool and kind of absent from the game, which is sort of sad.

7 Likes

Suggestion passed to the developers for consideration.

5 Likes