F/A-18 Hornet (Legacy): History, Performance & Discussion

Yep. BOL-500 dispensers are available for the Australian and Finnish Hornets.

4 Likes

Hmmmm…
US Hornets never had that one though
Trialed only with LAU-138, right?

1 Like

Yes. It’s the only one mentioned in multiple documents, and considering that the LAU-138 was already operational on Tomcat by 1995, so it was the only option in terms of minimizing logistics footprint.

1 Like

So I might hope F-15C MSIP with AN/ALE-58 (built in LAU-128B/A launcher)

F/A-18E Super Hornet Block I addition AN/ALE-50 towed decoy countermeasures

1 Like

US F-18s should receive BOL since every other country already gets experimental equipment on their airplanes (or even worse, equipment they never used) - German Mig-29s having R-27ER at all, JAS39C having copy paste AIM-9M when their missiles shouldn’t be smokeless, Yak-141 existing, F-16AJ existing, F-15J having AIM-9M it never used, GR.7 with barely functional gunpods etc.

1 Like

Had the software update so could use it

The Swedish never used the 9M but the Hungarian ones did and i don’t even know if sweden used the AIM 9L(i)

It was built aircraft that was full intended to become the new naval air craft and might get an updated loadout in the future so R73 and R77

Yeah that never existed but the F16 is very similar to the F2 any ways so that makes sense

Its a F15C so that airframe has used it and its just their to fill out the modifcations

Gun pod did exist for it they just didn’t put the guns in the pod and some times used them for ECM i believe and for airflow
Continuing the discussion from McDonnell Douglas AV-8B(NA) Harrier II - A truly American Harrier:

photo above proves that wrong for the gun pod of that gun

If there’s one thing about the Hornet being added eventually that excites me (aside from performance): It’s the aggressor camouflages

VFA-125 Rough Raiders 9
VFA-125 Rough Raiders 3

3 Likes

Had the F/A 18 a actually aim 7 MH I heard that these are significantly better than aim 7 m

F/A-18 had AIM-7P which are even better than MH, the Ps have lofting, inertial guidance, better clutter discrimination, better jamming resistance etc.

Spoiler

1 Like

AIM-7M standard has lofting already (just not in-game). AIM-7P in the context of war thunder offers only inertial guidance, datalink.

1 Like

Not really. Just the H from what I know
20240124_172857

2 Likes

What document is this? could you share the link?

The rest of the document shows you can point AIM-7M “up” with lofted command and it will travel upwards in a similar fashion to the method the R-27ER uses currently. “Manual lofting” is a real thing.

(iirc)

I have no idea but I assume that from the F18 as above is states TGT size to small, only f14 and f18 have thos option

I presumed it was the F-15 weapons delivery manual based on the style

Well wouldn’t they be similar as they are both aircraft made by the same nation with the same air to air loadout

No, because one would be Air Force and the other is Navy.

Fair point
but would that apply to the F35 though

It is but not to the efficiency of real lofting. Say you are at 40k ft firing at a target that the missile will take 60 seconds. It’ll fly 20 seconds at 30°, then guide normally. Manual lofting, you’ll bleed alot of airspeed, can’t reach 30° and missile will not have that flight profile, it will react more than normally. Do the math, the missile gains like +10km in alt doing so and above 40k ft the sustainer actually adds speed to the missile.

And on the R27 the guidance “feature” makes it loft anyway ingame.

I thought aswell due the style, but I pretty sure its the f18. There isn’t a tgt size option in the f15 and f16s don’t carry sparrows

I don’t recall saying it is equally as efficient