F-16C Block 50M - One of the best armed F-16 in the world

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

F-16C Block 50M

History:

In 1995 the FACH (Chilean Air Force) launched the “Caza 2000” program that sought the acquisition of a new fourth generation fighter-bomber to replace the old fleet of Mirage 50 Pantera and Mirage 5 Elkan, also because in that same year Peru had acquired the Mig-29 from Belarus so the FACH did not want to be left behind in terms of technological and military capabilities. Another reason for this acquisition program was that they wanted to standardize the Chilean fighter fleet since in the FACH inventory, in addition to the Mirage 50/5, the A-37B Dragonfly specialized in land attack was also used, so it was a logistical problem to operate different models of aircraft.

Chile launched an international competition to find out the options available in the international fighter market, to which France applied with the Dassault Mirage 2000-5 RDY, Sweden with the Saab JAS-39 Gripen and after a strong lobby, the United States with the Lockheed Martin F-16C/D and Boeing-McDonnell Douglas F/A-18C Hornet. It is worth mentioning that the United States sought to recover relations with Chile that had been paralyzed for 20 years due to the Kennedy amendment that prevented Chile from buying U.S. weapons when Chile almost went to war with Argentina, which greatly affected relations between Chile and the United States. Thus, between 1996 and 1998, these aircraft were presented in different versions of the FIDAE in Chile (International Air and Space Fair) showing their virtues.

The United States F-16C during FIDAE 1998

At the beginning Dassault of France had an advantage due to the fact that the FACH used the Mirage 5/50 for several years so there was already experience in the handling of these fighters, also the FACH did not seem interested in the American material because for 1997 the Kennedy amendment was still in place so the American manufacturers could not give all the information required by the FACH. However, this changed in 1997 when American companies pressured the United States government to lift the veto, which happened, thus opening the doors for the purchase of North American war material.

Due to budgetary problems due to the international financial crisis of late 1998 the budget dropped from 600 million dollars to only 300 million so the program was put on temporary suspension waiting for better times, so in 2000 the Lockheed Martin F-16C/D Block 50 was finally chosen to be the new fighter of the FACH and in 2002 signing the contract for the sale six F-16Cs and four F-16Ds, all belonging to Block 50, for an amount of 550 million dollars. Thus, the “Peace Puma” program began and the first F-16C Block 50M aircraft made its test flight on June 23, 2005 with the registration 851 and later in 2006 the first two F-16D Block 50M series 858 and 859 arrived in Chile and began to operate this North American model in Chile.

Roll-Out Ceremony of the F-16C/D Block 50 of the Chile Air Force at Lockheed Martin, April 14, 2005

Chilean Vipers have the ITT Exelis ALQ-211 (V)4 AIDEWS pod, a complete electronic warfare and self-protection suite, maintenance software, Link 16 and the AN/APG-68(V)9 long-range radar. The Chilean Air Force also requested the arrival of the AIM-120C-7, Boeing GBU-31 JDAM and the AGM-84L Harpoon II, the Raytheon LGB GBU-16, the Rafael Python IV missile and the AN/AAQ lighting pod -28(V) LITENING. The Chilean F-16s are one of the F-16s of their category with the best weapons in active service in the world.

F-16C Block 50M FACH 853 equipped with 2000lb Paveway II laser-guided bombs and AIM-120C AMRAAM missiles (the latter for training)

Initially the paint scheme of the Chilean F-16C/D was different from the other F-16s operated by the rest of the countries, this was a requirement of the Chilean Air Force so for several years they sported a quite beautiful and unique light gray camouflage, this was so until 2017 when the paint scheme was changed to that used by the F-16AM/BM bought second-hand in Holland to standardize the paint scheme of the fleet, although today you can still see some F-16C/Ds retaining their original paint scheme, which is curious, the Chilean vipers also have the insignia of the Chilean aviation groups in their paint using the insignia of the FACH aviation group number 3 on the F-16C/D.

Original paint scheme F-16C Block 50M

F-16C Block 50M with its new camouflage scheme and carrying AIM-120C missiles during the 94th anniversary of the FACH, year 2024

Video taken by me of an F-16C Block 50M during FIDAE 2024, you can see the painted symbol of aviation group number 3 near the nose of the plane and the details of the fighter

Specifications:

• Crew:
  • Armament:
    • Primary: one M-61A1 20mm multibarrel cannon with 500 rounds
    • Secondary:
      • Bombs: Mk.82/83/84 Bombs, Griffin LGB, Opher LGB, GBU-10, GBU-12 Paveway II and III, GBU-31 JDAM, Raytheon LGB GBU-16.
      • Rockets: LAU-3A each with 19 FFAR rockets
      • Missiles: AIM-120C-5/7 AMRAAM, Rafael Derby, Python IV, AIM-9P4 Sidewinder, AIM-9L/M Sidewinder, AGM-84L Harpoon II, AGM-65F/G Maverick.
    • Additional systems: AN/APG-68 (v)9 radar, Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS), Pod ITT Exelis ALQ-211 (V)4 AIDEWS (Block 5.2 configuration), RF radar wide spectrum electromagnetic jammer, Passive RWR (Radar Warning Receiver), ALE-47 Airborne Countermeasures Dispenser System (chaff y flares), Lighting pod AN/AAQ-28(V) LITENING II, ALQ-131/ALQ-184
  • Dimensions:
    • Length: 14.8 m
    • Wingspan: 9.8 m
    • Height: 4.8 m
    • Weight: 8,936 kg
    • Maximum takeoff weight: 16,875 kg
  • Performance:
    • Powerplant: General Electric F110-GE-129
    • Thrust: 29,000 pounds
    • Maximum speed: 2414 km/h
    • Fuel capacity: 7,000 pounds internal, typical capacity, 12,000 pounds with two external tanks
    • Range: more than 3221 km ferry range
    • Service Ceiling: 15240 m

Photos:

Sources:

6 Likes

They are folding the F-16 in the tech tree, I guess that means another F-16 is comming …

1 Like

I think that the F-16s that will be included in the game are quite inferior in weapons compared to this one from Chile

1 Like

+1

1 Like

thanks bro

1 Like

+1, could be an interesting addition

1 Like

Thank you very much bro, in case they added it I would like it to be with the original paint scheme because it is more unique

1 Like

It’s possible that would be 14.0 BR (Air AB, Air RB & Air SB) and sub tree for israel

2 Likes

I also think that the Chilean F-16C is for 14.0 because it is somewhat better than the current F-16s in the game, especially in terms of radar and weapons. I would like to know more about the Israeli F-16s that have yet to be added, especially the F-16I Sufa

I guess 6x AIM-9L replace with AIM-9X and 6x AIM-120C-5 instead 2x AIM-7M on F-16C Block 50 and decompressing max BR to 14.0 next year

In the future F-16AM MLU from belgium up to 14.0 if AIM-9X replacement 6x AIM-9L

Gajin could add F-16I Sufa early batch at 13.7 BR in the future. But I don’t know Sufa (e) located after F-16D Block 40 Barak II or F-16A Block 10 Netz

1 Like

I think Python 4 is equivalent to AIM-9X. As I have read, the F-16I Sufa is an F-16D Block 52+ so it would be better than the current Israeli F-16, although I think it would go along the lines of the F-16 Barak II since it is also two-seater, so the Chilean F-16 Block 50M is a variant that Israel does not have.

Hermoso 😍😍😍😍😍

2 Likes

Probably after the Barak II, since its a heavily modified F-16D block 52 at its base and used primarily for strike/multirole mission

1 Like

Was this upgraded by Chile? If so, the only place it should be is in either a South American tech tree or the US tree…if it was upgraded by Israel, then it can go there maybe, if they don’t have their own F-16 equivalents

There is a proposal to make a Chilean subtree in the Israel tree, as Chile operates a lot (but not only) of jets built or upgraded by Israel

So. The planes from nations that are not ingame and their planes are built by the U.S go to the U.S TT of course if any country needs it it can have it

Well, it has Israeli weapons such as the Python 4 air-to-air missiles, Griffin and Opher laser-guided bombs, there are not many F-16s that use the Python 4 as their main armament so it would fit well in Israel, after all of this weapons were adapted to be launched on the Chilean F-16 by Israeli companies since they are not compatible with the F-16 by default. They also use the JHMCS (Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System) from Elbit systems.