F-16/F-15 Dogfight AMRAAM's Shooting

Hello, in this report I would like to appeal for adding Dogfight mode to American aircraft production, and especially the option of firing AMRAAM missiles without the radar lock on the target. (For the uninitiated, this mode consists of the Missile being fired and maintaining a straight flight trajectory to the target, it will not catch its target by itself and will fly in Pitbull mode, the missile catches the first target it detects in the selected area. In normal conditions, the missile’s radar search zone is drawn on the HUD, but it would also be possible to provide such a circle outside the cockpit .
Pros: Quick and easy operation of the missile, especially in circling combat
Cons: The missile catches any target and it is ineffective when many allies are engaged in combat.)…

I would also like to discuss the topic of Turning the Fly-By-Wire system on and off, which would not only give a better atmosphere in Dogfight but would also have a positive effect on the balance between Western and Eastern Aircraft, taking into account their Pros and Cons.

3 Likes

What you are suggesting is lock on after launch capability (LOAL), that wasn’t developed until the AIM-120C IIRC, which we don’t have in game at the moment. Sorry. In a few months we may see it though, possibly in December.

As for the fly by wire turn off you would easily superstall your aircraft, things like the F-16 were designed by nature to be unstable and without their fly by wire the pilot will not be able to control the aircraft effectively.

He’s talking about MADDOG mode, which afaik is a bit different than LOAL - you can’t relock to switch target or update the missile data, the missile goes on its own for its entire duration. Aim-120A definitely had it.

The Aim-54 Phoenix also had a similar mode known as “dogfight”.

10 Likes

Oh I might have misinterpreted it, sorry.

2 Likes

Yes I talking about MADDOG

1 Like

Put a bug report in for it, they’ll either accept it or tell you they can’t for balance.

1 Like

does this mean LOAL or would it work like a 9 on a rail?, also HOLY SHIT micas would be busted if u added this lmao

1 Like

not quite like 9 because you would have a very wide search zone and no possibility of controlling the missle radar in HMD mode and the missile could only be fired in front of Plane and lock first target what missle see

I dont think the AMRAAMs in war thunder had LOAL capabilities or an ability to actively switch target after firing. this would be an interesting thing to see when the Fa18 and eurofighters get added in the future though

Thats not correct. A maddoged missile can still be slaved to the HMD prior to launch.

1 Like

To add, some SARH platforms can do something similar through FLOOD mode. FLOOD mode is where the radar is essentially fixed fowards (like ACM mode) while emitting and the missile goes for the target with the largest return.

1 Like

it’s a bloody tracking radar, it’s not using the host radar whatsoever so it won’t have a gigantic search, if by gigantic you mean R60 then fair enough but that still not abhorrent

@YeeT_and_Delete
yeah i saw this in dcs, first target locked it’ll fire immedately right?

1 Like

You can already turn off fly by wire… that’s already in the game…

Not exactly, as the radar doesn’t lock anything. In simplistic terms, think of a radar lock like a laser pointer telling the missile what to go to, while FLOOD mode is like holding a big-ass flashlight forwards and the missile tracks the “brightest” reflection.

1 Like

well whatever i saw did what i said