F-15 Eagle: History, Performance & Discussion

I guess 12.7 might be 4th gen fighter aircraft with carries 8 & 10 ARH BVRAAM, and 13.0 for 4th gen fighter aircraft upgrade to early 4+ gen technology & early 4+ gen fighter aircraft

I wonder MiG-29SM (9-13M) “Fulcrum-C” weapons system, avionics , radar & engine like MiG-29S (9-13S) but with carry the guided Air-to-Ground armament ?

MiG-29SMT nearby 4+ gen fighter aircraft

202 knots x 96.8. That answer divided by 15 degrees per second. Again, using sea level.

Just though I’d link in here, radar returns for bodies of water are much more challenging to deal with especially if significant waves, or angle of incidence are a concern in comparison.

1 Like

You can’t just use empty weights plus stuff, because empty often excludes a bunch of other things. Stuff like pylons, or the ammunition for the gun, sometimes the gun itself. Look at the damn SAC’s you posted, they both give weights for A2A loads at 9720 lbs fuel, which is certainly not a coincidence that the test is also at that fuel amount. The F-14D with 4 Sparrows and 4 Sidewinder is 57186, significantly heavier than the listed example. The F-14A with 4 Sparrows is 53166 lighter but with the armament difference only by around 1000 lbs.

I’d presume the exact same thing is happening with the F-15, where you are missing around 500lbs of gun ammo, 4 80 lbs LAU-128 rails, the wing pylon itself(don’t know its weight, probably around 250 lbs like F-14’s wing pylon). We’ve killed most of the weight here, my guess is the rest is the adapter between the pylon and rails, the pilot, oil for the engines, chaff/flares, various stuff.

Like come on this is softball. Your own source contradicts your math. Try harder.

You’re right, I was wrong in that case. What do you think of the restricted material proving me right in the other regards?

1 Like

Do NOT share classified or export restricted documents under any circumstances. And doing so in a limited way is no excuse.

The rules are very clear

2 Likes

a yes, the very heavy 500lb Sparrow

I think your misunderstanding, the F-15 has a better sustained rate.

I think that I’d have been able to disassemble that argument the same way, but I can’t do so given that such material can’t be posted here.

Thanks for the interesting read and supporting argument! :)

lol, evidence was provided that shows you’re wrong and when it’s deleted you dismiss it as though it wasn’t seen or viewable on the internet. Bad faith.

Nobody was arguing about the instant rates? It was the sustained rate this conversation was about, and those sources proved the sustained is lower on the F-14B.

Full circle, once again the F-15 has a higher rate at speeds where it won’t matter. The F-14 was also on auto sweep. This is just like when people were telling me the F-4 phantom was gonna dominate the MiG-23 in flight performance. Same deal.

Evidence was provided that shows you’re wrong.
F-14 on auto is at 0 wing sweep at 285 knots.
It’s irrelevant that it was on auto because even on manual it’d be the same result.

1 Like

I can’t post a rebutal without using the forbidden documents so???

That is the now-deleted post interpreted those docs wrong, but I can’t argue that without actually using them.

Why do you even keep replying, I didn’t mention 282 knots. The person I was arguing with stated as much that the F-14 out-rates the F-15 during the middle portion (where they’d be operating) even on auto wing sweep.

The F-15 beats the F-14 only at sufficiently high speeds that the pilot would not be able to sustain the turn long enough based on the charts I saw.

Bad faith from you.

Why does the wings sweeping back make the data not relevant? That’s how the aircraft is trimmed within limits?

Oh, and the sheet for manoeuvre on, has been provided so that’s not technically an issue.
So actually, an F-15A rates approximately the same in terms of peak sustained rate as an F-14B, however the F-14B then drops off more as the wings sweep back which is to be expected. The F-15A also better sustains its rate at lower speeds.

Ultimately the F-15C with the better engines will rate even better, so yes, it’s going to fly better.

You’re forgetting; you’ve conveniently shared the graph for a mid trim f-15A, at 102% war trim the F-15A has a slightly higher top speed of M2.0.

Additionally where do your radius values come from? Best sustained radius for the F-14B is 2000ft, for the F-15A I will need to calculate it, but at M0.3, its radius is 1700ft, the actual minimum may be even tighter but I cannot graph it to find the exact value.