F-14 Tomcat: History, Performance & Discussion

iirc, many jets got auto-flaps/slats now.

I think its a terrible idea though, specifically in mouse aim. I think it should be something you can turn on (like SAS modes) in full real controls, but mouse aim already takes a massive amount of control away from the pilot, auto flaps/slats is just an even larger loss of control

1 Like

It is that bad. You could dogfight pretty much anything and have a good chance of winning, except maybe the f16. Now you dump all your speed at the first turn, sometimes breaking your wings. It is impossible to gain energy again unless you stop turning. For me the tomcat is ruined and I cant bring myself to playing it more than a couple of matches before the frustration tops… Also this auto radar bs only adds insult to injury… The tomcat radar is just worse now… Honestly F this… I had my fun on that, it was good while it lasted. I ll keep revisiting but It will never be like it was…

5 Likes

I mean tomcat would never win in a 1v1 against an F-16 because of how poorly modelled the F-16 is.

I’ll have to try it out myself against good duelists but I have hope it’s still good

Also, just to complete the radar rant, they keep adding more bs features for ppl that cant be asked to do anything themselves, reducing control for the rest of us, while not addressing any issues whatsoever. How many years do I have to wait for my radar to stop jumping on its own from one target to the next on TWS, making the use of it more difficult than it should be? How long do I need to wait to get target info other than its freaking course and distance ? No option for closing velocity in knots, no ability to see the target altitude other than your Eyeball MkI and no option to see your radar altitude scanning bracket (30k to 0 feet at the range of your target for example or whatever)… How long do I need to wait to have the actual radar control a RIO could have ? Target aspect switch, target size switch ? Too much to ask I guess, got to focus on bogus premiums and pointless " features" instead of any improvements…

Rant over

9 Likes

Wasn’t the TWS jumping on targets supposed to be fixed recently(feb 14)?

Because clearly it’s not. In fact, I haven’t noticed any improvement.

4 Likes

Daily reminder that the word itself ‘fixed’ with Gaijin Entertainment can never be trusted or always good.

2 Likes

just fyi, not a single thing in this game works as intended 100% of the time. Even if they’re “fixed”.

One thing I’ve been a bit curious on after learning about it recently: Supposedly during their last deployment and years in service, some F-14Bs were retrofitted with a “Sparrowhawk” Head-up Display. Do y’all think that could ever be added to the F-14B in-game?

1 Like

Got any sources for this? Im curious

Edit: Nvm, found some pics:

Spoiler

4 Likes

You can turn off auto-flaps control in the settings, I already had them on manual and I haven’t noticed a difference after the update. I can activate the flaps at will.

2 Likes

Dose AIM-54C smokeless now?
I tried F-14 in Sim mode, I cannot see my AIM-54C smoke tail at all. But I test it on “test flight”, it still shows the tail.
I really hope that’s not a bug, AIM-54C should has reduced smoke motor.

By the way, the F-14 radar in the cockpit looks terrible, the size-ratio didn’t match the screen size at all.

Look at the slats on the front of the wing

Nope, it can be less visible in weather where any contrail is less visible, maybe that’s what you saw.

1 Like

The slats at the front of the wing open… regardless of what setting you have

its a bug for All missiles. Sim has a bunch of bugs currently.

1 Like

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/uw8Xd15wMoHP

Here is the bug report I posted, feel free to click the button if y want to see the slats fixed (unlikely lol)…

1 Like

link is broken

1 Like

lmao

3 Likes

They think the NATOPS is classified/restricted…

1 Like

Was it the F-14A preliminary Flight manual, or a later version?