Eurofighter Typhoon (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

If we get true pitbull mode, then Yeah, same.

I don’t know what you mean by that, but we already have pitbull mode for Fox-3s.

Wouldn’t even be close

Sorry?

Do we?

IIRC all ARH missiles in game require aircraft radar lock before launch.

Amraam can be launched and instantly go pitbull, locking on the first target its seeker sees, without a radar lock from the host aircraft.

A Mach 2 capable jet versus a Sub Mach capable jet, with the Mach 2 jet having the ability to fire a missile with longer range as well…

1 Like

You mean mad dog?

No, fox-3s can be fired from TWS.

Your suggestion would require a spool up and lock similar to an IR missile, without the radar slaving it there would be no way of doing this without making it essentially just usable like a fox-2… and I don’t really see the point as every aircraft with Fox-3 will have a TWS mode. So select target you want on TWS, arm and launch… it’s the same as real life. No hard lock necessary.

1 Like

Yes, more than likely.

Been a while since I played DCS so all the terminology has all but gone

Think he means mad dog, which means with the missile selected, if you press fire it will launch and self guide to a self designated target.

I’ve confused my terminology, I meant mad dog as fireball mentioned.

1 Like

Down side to this is you can accidentally fire.

I understand this. It’s pointless. Unless you want to ramp up TK’s… the current methodology of just using TWS and being able to fire without a STT lock is all we need. Otherwise ACM lock, launch… simple stuff really.

Mad dog can be useful for close ranges shots on aircraft without HMD. But yeah ultimately it’s just a realism feature and nothing particularly crazy.

Not exactly pointless as you can use it in a similar way to an IR missile.

I’d rather not be TK’d by a point blank 35+G radar missile constantly.

1 Like

I mean you can still get TK’d by high G pulling IR missiles at close ranges.

So nothing really new

1 Like

This drastically extends the range and decreases chance of dodging it even if you do notice it. Chaff resistance will be nerfed soon especially in rear aspect.

Oh? Please do tell us more. What about the EF makes it incapable of being used in the modern day?

I said “fully capable”, words have meaning. The Eurofighter simply doesn’t fulfill it’s primary roles very well against modern stealth aircraft. This is a big concern, something they are going to be late to the party with once again. It is what it is. If supplemented by F-35s it could still be useful though, hence I didn’t simply say “incapable entirely”.