• Grouped before F.6
  • Un-grouped after F.6
  • Un-grouped before F.6
  • Somewhere Else
  • No
0 voters

Presenting to you the English Electric Lightning F.2 - “Frightening”

Historical Background

The English Electric Lightning F.2 was the third production variant of the iconic Lightning series, following the earlier F.1 and F.1A models. Introduced into RAF service in late 1961, the F.2 was a step forward in the evolution of the Lightning, reflecting advancements in technology and a further understanding of the requirements for a modern interceptor during the Cold War.

The Lightning F.2 was the first variant equipped with a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) attack display, which provided pilots with a more advanced and user-friendly interface for targeting and navigation. The variant also featured an upgraded radar system, offering better detection and tracking of enemy aircraft. The cockpit and instrumentation were refined, and the F.2 introduced a liquid oxygen breathing system, which allowed pilots to operate at higher altitudes more effectively & easily.

A total of 44 Lightning F.2s were built from 1960–1963, with the aircraft produced at the Samlesbury facility and assembled at Warton. It was at Warton that these aircraft made their maiden flights, marking the beginning of their service in the Royal Air Force until 1988 where the final F.2 variant was retired.

Once in service, the Lightning F.2 was stationed at key RAF bases, including RAF Leuchars and RAF Wattisham, where it played a vital role in the air defense of the United Kingdom during the height of the Cold War. Although it was eventually succeeded by more recent variants like the F.3 and F.6, the F.2 remains a significant milestone in the history of British military aviation, symbolizing the relentless pursuit of technological superiority.

Following the F.2’s development, the Lightning was adapted for export, leading to the development of the F.52 variant. Primarily sold to Saudi Arabia, it retained the core features of the F.2, including the CRT attack display and upgraded radar, with modifications to suit the Royal Saudi Air Force’s needs. The F.52 significantly bolstered Saudi Arabia’s air defense capabilities in the 1960s, providing a high-performance interceptor tailored for the Middle Eastern environment.

Specifications

Crew:
1 (Pilot)

Powerplant:
2 × 14,430 lb (reheat) Rolls-Royce Avon 210R

Dimensions
Length:
16.85 meters (55 feet 3 inches)
Height:
5.97 meters (19 feet 7 inches)
Span:
10.67 meters (34 feet 10 inches)
Wing Area:
45.1 square meters (458.5 square feet)
*some sources show 485.5 sq feet but im not sure which is correct.

Weight
Empty:
27,000 pounds (12,247 kilograms)
Gross:
34,500 pounds (15,652 kilograms)

Performance
Max Speed:
Varies slightly with Mark and load; approx. 1,500 mph (Mach 2.27 at 40,000 ft)
Climb Rate:
25,000 feet per minute (7,620 meters per minute)
Ceiling:
60,000 feet + (18,300 meters +)
Range:
800 miles

Armament

• 2 × 30 mm ADEN cannons
  • 2 × de Havilland Firestreak air-to-air missiles
Images

Sources

AIRFIGHTERS.COM - English Electric Lightning F2
English Electric (BAC) Lightning
Thunder & Lightnings - English Electric Lightning - History
https://www.baesystems.com/en-uk/heritage/english-electric-lightning
F.2 - Lightning Association
English Electric Lightning - Wikipedia

Sources below used from wayback machine
https://www.eelightningsig.uk/variants.html

Thank you for taking the time to vote and read my suggestion, it took a decent amount of time researching and compiling this.

6 Likes

its got the guns in the nose so will actually shoot were you aim so it probs will be the same or higher

1 Like

It is actually weird that there is only two English Electric Lightning in the game so far. It would also be nice to see its upgrade, the F.2A, which were able to drop its Firestreak missiles, and instead equip a total of 4x 30mm ADEN.

I know! Since they changed the Red Tops to work more like aim-9bs, I think that dropping the red top for overall better performance, guns and only a slightly worse missile is a plus.

they still perform a lot better than sidewinder Bs, they can slave to a radar for easier locks and track a lot better, I still swear by them because their quicker locks and longer range keep them better than the firestreaks questionable IR sensors and short burning motor, I think that’s worth 3G less overload, my friends call my nuts for it. I would put down the red top for firestreak if it meant I had guns that shoot where I’m shooting though

Yea it is a bit odd, especially since its likely an “easier” addition to have. There is actually already a suggestion for the F2a made a few years back I think. However, In war thunders gameplay, I think the F2 would be more competitive, the F2a has the extra large belly like the F6 but without the more powerful engines, however, the F2a does have a better wing style in which I believe helped in drag, climb and a energy retention

To be honest, I’ve never used aim-9bs, just referred to what I had read online. But I don’t like the new update, as an avid lightning user (my most played plane), I had got used to and liked the short range, higher G version, nowadays I feel like my missile doesn’t track if the enemy is doing anything but going straight, I used to be able to pull sick side-aspect shots they werent expecting.
It also might not help I play with like 250 ping, not sure if that part matters though.

they are really really bad, SRAAMs on a hunter in a full uptier are a billion times better

Lol, the SRAAMs on the hunter platform is so niche and hard to play.
Does it even have flares?

Nope.

1 Like

Please tell me the pot belly is now removeable