Douglas F5D-1 Skylancer - A Short-Lived Backup Fighter

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Douglas F5D-1 Skylancer

Hello everybody. I’d like to suggest the Douglas F5D-1 Skylancer for US aviation in War Thunder. The F5D-1 was a development of the F4D-1 Skyray jet fighter for the US Navy with a supersonic capability. However, its development and prototype stage were short-lived due to the F-8 Crusader being selected for the Navy. Nevertheless, the F5D-1 was a greatly improved aircraft with excellent handling characteristics over its predecessor, the F4D-1 Skyray, alongside expanded weaponry and new radar.

Key Characteristics

• Naval fighter and interceptor
  • Refined airframe based on the F4D-1 Skyray
  • Retained Pratt & Whitney J57-P-8 afterburning turbojet engine
  • New armament bay doors for guns and unguided rocket packages
  • Four sidewinders or two AIM-7B sparrows with active radar seeker

History

Design and Development

Douglas F5D-1 Skylancer was followed by the development of F4D-2N, an all-weather version of the F4D-1 Skyray, in 1953. It was decided to aerodynamically refine the design to exploit an extra thrust of the Pratt & Whitney J57 fitted to the Skyray instead of the planned Westinghouse J40. Two prototypes were ordered under the initial designation F4D-2N. They redesignated the F5D-1 Skylancer, as the new design became more different from the F4D-1.

The F5D-1 retained the delta wing planform and overall wingspan and wing area of the F4D-1. However, the wings were much thinner, and the fuselage was 8 feet longer. The wing was built with thicker reinforced skinning to correct problems encountered with dents, dimples, and depressions, which could happen during high-speed maneuvering with the F4D-1 Skyray. The internal fuel capacity was increased from 640 US gallons of the F4D-1 to 1,383 US gallons. The fuselage of the F5D-1 was slimmed down in the region of the wing roots to improve the transonic flight characteristics. The air intakes were redesigned, a taller fin and rudder were fitted, and the landing gear track was widened. The leading edge slat arrangement, rear control surfaces, and inboard trailing edge trimmers were all redesigned. The prototype F5D-1 retained the same J57-P-8 engine as the F4D-1, but the afterburner cooling intakes were enlarged and moved forward. The armament consisted of retained four 20-mm cannons, four Sidewinders, and new unguided rockets. Both guns and unguided rockets were to be mounted in armament bay doors beneath the F5D-1’s fuselage.

The F5D-1 Skylancer would have an advanced electronics fit with an APQ-64 radar in place of the F4D-1’s APQ-50 radar, as Douglas intended to combine it with a new weapon in development; the Sparrow II or the AIM-7B Sparrow. It was an evolution of the earlier (AIM-7A) Sparrow I beam-riding missile, and it would have an active radar seeker that enabled a fire-and-forget capability. However, with the Sparrow’s technical limitations and insufficient performance from the test firings, Douglas dropped out of the Sparrow II program in 1956.

Flight Testing

With the F5D-1 Skylancer design evolved enough to interest the US Navy, it ordered nine test aircraft with fifty-one production aircraft. The production variants intended to have the more powerful J57-P-14 engine, which provided some 16,900lbf thrust with an afterburner. The later production aircraft would be planned to have the General Electric J79, which would have provided even more power to make the Skylancer capable of Mach 2 flight.

The first F5D-1 (193208) took off from Edwards Air Force Base and made its first flight on April 21, 1956. It managed to exceed the speed of sound during the flight and could attain a maximum speed of nearly 1,000 mph at altitude. It also had excellent handling characteristics.

Consequences of Politics

Shortly after two prototypes and two production aircraft had been constructed, the Navy canceled its order for the F5D-1 Skylancer. Douglas abandoning the Sparrow II program didn’t help it that much. The Navy had chosen the Vought F-8 Crusader to be its primary supersonic fighter in service, which stated that the Navy did not need to have another fighter that shared very similar performance characteristics.

The F5D-1 Skylancer not only served as a backup but also as a backup to a backup. The Navy had ordered the Vought F-8 Crusader in 1953 and improved the Grumman F11F-1F Super Tiger in 1955, so the F11F-1F was a backup to the F-8 Crusader in case of failure while the F5D-1 was a backup to the F11F-1F as well as to the F-8. The F-8 Crusader had been proved highly successful, so neither F11F-1F nor F5D-1 had entered production and Navy service. Another potential reason speculated by historians that the decision to select the F-8 over the F5D-1 was to curb Douglas’s de facto monopoly on military aircraft contracts for the Navy, as the company was already producing the A3D Skywarrior, A4D Skyhawk, and the AD Skyraider.

However, this was not the end of the F5D-1 Skylancer. Four aircraft continued to fly in various military test programs in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Two F5Ds were grounded in 1961 for spare parts, and the other two F5Ds became NASA test aircraft in research programs during the 1960s. Both NASA F5D-1s were retired in 1970, and these are the only two surviving aircraft that ended up as museum aircraft today.

Specifications

Douglas F5D-1 Skylancer

General Characteristics

• Crew: 1 (Pilot)
  • Length: 53 ft 9.6 in (16.4 m)
  • Height: 14 ft 10 in (4.52 m)
  • Span: 33 ft 6 in (10.21 m)
  • Wing area: 577 sq ft (51.7 sq m)
  • Powerplant: Pratt & Whitney J57-P-8 afterburning turbojet engine
    → 16,000 lbf (71 kN) thrust A/B
  • → 10,200 lbf (45 kN) thrust dry
  • Internal Fuel: 1,383 US gal. (5,235 L)
  • Oil Tankage: 3 US gal. (11.35 L)
  • Empty Weight: 17,444 lb (7,912 kg)
  • Gross Weight: 28,739 lb (13,036 kg)
  • Max. Takeoff Weight: 31,204 lb (14,154 kg)

Engine Ratings

• Military + Afterburner:
    →16,000 lbf @ 6,050 rpm @ S.L. Static
  • Military:
    → 10,200 lbf @ 6,050 rpm @ S.L. Static
  • Normal:
    → 8,700 lbf @ 5,750 rpm @ S.L. Static

Performance w/ Sparrows @ Mil. + A/B

• Thrust-to-Weight Ratio: 0.56
  • Sea level Speed: 743 mph (1,196 km/h)
  • Critical Altitude Speed: 791 mph @ 35,000 ft (1,273 km/h @ 10,668 m)
  • Stall Speed: 153 mph (246 km/h)
  • Wing Loading: 49.8 lb/sq ft (243.1 kg/sq m)
  • Takeoff Distance - Calm: 2,240 ft (683 m)
  • Rate of Climb: 18,830 fpm (95.7 m/s)
  • Service Ceiling: 49,800 ft (15,179 m)
  • Combat Radius: 400 miles (644 km)
  • Combat Range: 1,306 miles (2,102 km)

Armament

• Avionics:
    • AN/APQ-64 radar
  • Guns:
    • 4 x 20-mm Mk.12-0 cannons (125 rpg; 500 rounds)
  • Missiles:
    • 4 x AIM-9B Sidewinders
    • 2 x AIM-7B Sparrows
  • Bombs:
    • 2 x Mk.81 250-lb bombs
    • 2 x Mk.82 500-lb bombs
    • 2 x Mk.83 1,000-lb bombs
    • 2 x Mk.84 2,000-lb bombs
  • Rockets (All located in the armament bay doors; replaced cannon guns):
    • 72 x 2-inch (51-mm) Gilmet/Redstone rockets
    • 36 x 2.75-inch (69.85-mm) Mighty Mouse rockets
    • 6 x 5-inch (127-mm) Zuni rockets
  • Drop Tanks:
    • 2 x 300-gal drop tanks

Supplemental Data

Diagrams

F5D-1 Cockpit Panel for Prototypes

Mockup Cockpit with APQ-50 Radar

Images

Conclusion | Why it should be in the game

While the F5D-1 Skylancer did not make it to the US Navy service, it could have a place in War Thunder as an improvement over the F4D-1 Skyray, which was added as an event aircraft. It also could be placed as a tech aircraft available for research. I feel the F5D-1 Skylancer would be a far better alternative to the F4D-1 since the F5D-1 has better handling characteristics, slightly improved performance, and cannons in the fuselage that are easy to use and aim. It would have an opportunity to employ two AIM-7B Sparrows with fire-and-forget capabilities. However, these missiles would have limited performance compared to the conventional AIM-7 Sparrows with semi-active radar, so these missiles shouldn’t wreck the game that much. Ultimately, I’ll let the developers decide how they shall model and balance the F5D-1 in the game as long as it provides a valuable difference gameplay-wise from the F4D-1 Skyray.

Sources

Thank you for taking the time to read my suggestion! 😃

2 Likes

+1 as standard tech tree since they rather unfairly put the F4D-1 as event

The ultimate Skyray! I was always curious about the Aim-7B, as I was unsure if it was tested on this prototype or a F4D testbed. It would be a funny yet impractical missile to say the least given its likely poor tracking (especially at low alt) and maneuverability (cough Aim-7C which only turns after the Bruner runs out and pulls 15Gs).
The upgraded engine is something I’m extremely exited for though, as maybe it will help this vehicle hold some speed and turn at low speeds. However it’s unfortunate the issues such as the low ammo count and lack of countermeasures weren’t remedied.

Just because one aircraft was incorrectly made an event vehicles doesn’t mean this one should be. This variant is arguably more worthy of being an event aircraft than the F4D-1. If I’m not mistaken there may be another variant of the F4D that that could be added to the tech tree, I don’t know though. Not to well versed in the history of the F4D series and what other additions we could receive.

2 Likes

A +1 from me as a TT aircraft since the F4D-1 was sadly made an event!

1 Like

IIRC, neither F4D-1 testbed nor F5D-1 was ever tested with the fully functional AIM-7B missile. I have no clue if they were functionally mounted on an aircraft and fired off during the testing. All sources I have read said nothing about the functional missiles with the said aircraft. However, the F4D-1 testbed with serial 134763 was said to have completed a series of flights with dummy Sparrow II missiles on August 23, 1956, demonstrating successful launches under simulated attack conditions. Previously, another F4D-1 testbed of 134754 completed its first flight on July 13, 1956, with the functional X24A system.

I have the photographs of dummy AIM-7B missiles being mounted on both F4D and F5D.

F4D-1 (134763) with dummy Sparrow II missiles

Three completed F5D-1s (139208, 139209, and 142349) take off in formation. 142349 is nearest the camera with the dummy Sparrow II missiles.

Here’s more information regarding Sparrow II (AIM-7B) for anyone who is curious. Note that this is a design study, not a test configuration, however.

3 Likes

+1 as a tech tree plane.

+1 One of my favourite aircraft to exist. Would love to see it in game! Personally tho, I would not add the aim-7 due to them never being fired from the platform

are you sure? there looks like there’s pictures with aim7s in this thread in the comments

F-14A IRIAF never fired the R-27s but got em anyways. I don’t see why F5D shouldn’t get Sparrows.

1 Like