Does these HE Shells really have Similar Penetration?

I just don’t think the Battleships HE Penetration is correct.

The devil’s in the detail. Although you would expect a much bigger HE to have a much bigger penetration it isn’t necessarily true on a linear scale.

Probably the biggest factor here is the fuze delay. The smaller shell has 0.3m delay so when it goes bang the forward explosive pressure wave is contained and amplified within the armour enhancing its penetration effectiveness. The big BB shell has no delay so it’s potential explosive radius is almost spherical and will cover a larger area overall, that’s good news for anyone behind the armour, less so for exposed personnel elsewhere.

1 Like

The issue as well is that the tanks apparently feel no blowback from large calibre HE rounds.

You would think that a tank taking a direct hit from a large calibre HE shell would knock the crew around quite a bit. Even if the tank itself was relatively undamaged

1 Like

esp. from a round half the size of the tank itself.

1 Like

A tank taking a HE round would likely result in a ‘Technical Kill’ destroying external fittings, optics etc and shaking the crew forcing a rapid withdrawal as real life repairs don’t generally happen in seconds (WT = “hold my drink, I’m just off to fit a new barrel”). There’s plenty of videos from a certain European country that show vehicles scuttling to safety belching smoke and flames after encountering HEAT and surviving to tell the tale.

1 Like

Here are the tank HE shells plotted. It is not linear at all. It is somewhat linear from 1g-3kg, but from there, it becomes a mess. You can also see, that past 8kg, the curve is very flat with a small elevation.

i mean there are pictures from ww2 showing what a KV2 round did to tanks, a battleship round? Should blow the tank to small pieces.