Does the Abrams have a spall liner? No from what I could find

It may be surprising to you, but youtube channels often get things wrong. Actual servicemembers have confirmed both with photo and video evidence, as well as their own accounts that there is no crew-internal kevlar spall liner.

5 Likes

the fact that t90m with spall liners in turret and hull and relikt armour getting exploded and easily captured is insane, and yall say that abrams is just a bottle of plastic with wheels is totally understandable.

1 Like
  1. Youtube videos aren’t a valid source.
  2. Crew testimonies aren’t a valid source.
  3. A video titled ‘‘Why putin is terrified of new Abrams’’ is just typical clickbait nonsense.

If you believe that spall liners are present, you’ll have to provide primary source evidence to support that claim, that means manufacturer documentation, test reports, tank manuals, etc.

1 Like

Last photo is referencing UFP steep angle and its equivalent armor protection value.

6 Likes

This also shows the book is filled with errors because the glacis plate of an M1 Abrams isn’t 2 inches thick.
If they can’t get that right, then I highly doubt they get composite RHAe against various shell types right.

2 Likes

Which variant is he describing and how thick is the UFP of the particular variant he’s describing? Provide sources. Educate me.

Apparently, there is no trustworthy sources for the Abrams, so how could you confidently make an accusation like that?

1 Like

1,5 inch / 38.1mm

lol. 😆 (still no sources)

Have I had a discussion with you before you?

2 Likes

You merely asked for what the thickness should be and then edited your comment afterwards, I answered your initial question.

If you wanted the sources, just ask for them next time.

Anyways, the ultrasonic readings of the M1 show 38.1mm as do the M1A1 hull blueprints from the CATTB stress testing report.

1 Like

I get the distinct feeling you’re around 14 years of age given the over-use of emoji’s, ‘‘bro’’ and need to ridicule anyone who disagrees.

Anyways, if you have a better source to offer, I’d be happy to reconsider my stance on the matter.

1 Like

There is a spall liner system. Not a makeshift system added after production of the tank like cheap Russian tanks.

1 Like

T-90M is completely revamped from A models and T-90M built with add-in spall liner stated within the hull, it’s also a way to distinguish between A and M.
There is no source that proves Abram get any type of spall liner, they consisdered using it but the weight for it is too high.

I don’t think weight was the concern at all, rather it’s not expected that any serious enemy munition is going to have a good chance of penetration.

The spall liner is on the T90M is a clear afterthought. It’s looks makeshift compared to vehicles like the leopard 2A7s. Abrams does not have an external spall liner you are correct. The engineers actually thought about spall protection while designing the Abrams. Spall protection does not have to be exterior liners attached to the armor. Spall protection can be internal such as the Abrams.

3 Likes

Yes, it is possible but the game is not set up for it currently. Maybe eventually they will do something to help the Abrams. It’s sad as of now. I believe you’re trying to say the Abrams engineers included a passive spall liner in the armor materials & design. You are more than likely correct.

Although, Finding sources that could be excepted will never happen.We all know it’s a better tank than what’s implemented in the game. Not much we can do about it though besides continue to cry/complain and hope they eventually feel bad for us😢

2 Likes

Although in the meantime Abrams and those tanks that its crew has protection vest+helmet should get them as a quick solution. (If Gaijin actually care…)

Every nation in-game utilizes spall vests & helmets for their crews

Yes but that also Depending on years they were available. If Gaijin design to make it as a modification like flak vest or drone ranther than standard kit from the get go.
“Most” didn’t utilizes ballistic vest for vehicles crew until much after 70-90s.

Most of these vehicles remained in service until they were introduced. Including stuff such as the Type 61 for Japan. Technically, even Panzer IV’s depending on the nation that used them.

you mean “until they were phase out”
Then it would be better if Gaijin introduce ballistic vest+helmet base on BR they’re going to fight in.
For example if you take BMP-2 to fight at BR 10.0+ their Crew should get ballistic vest+helmet as standard kit. But if player use it below BR 10.0 BMP-2 crew doesn’t get ballistic vest+helmet same with others.