Does the Abrams have a spall liner? No from what I could find

This only proves that the internal spall mitigation works. The guys lived. Your hanging kevlar blankets wouldn’t have stopped any of this.

Also from this report:

‘The U.S. Army Research Laboratory (ARL) and the University of Delaware (UD) have
developed an enabling technology to produce a polymer matrix composite-based integral armor
with improved multihit ballistic capability. Current applications for integral armor composites
include the Composite Armored Vehicle (CAV) technology demonstrator and Crusader
self-propelled howitzer platforms. Present integral armor manufacturing processes involve
adhesive bonding of a composite structure with ballistic armor tiles, spall shield, and nuisance
cover. ARL, UD, and the CAV/Crusader composite structure contractor, United Defense
Limited Partnership (UDLP), assessed through-thickness stitching to improve the multihit
capability and reduce manufacturing costs. The patent-pending co-injection resin-transfer
molding (CIRTM) process was used to produce a stitched, co-injected integral armor panel that
demonstrated improved multihit capability. The spall shield was fabricated with a phenolic resin
for fire, smoke, and toxicity protection, while the remainder of the integral armor (structural
composite resin encapsulating the tiles and the nuisance cover) was fabricated with an epoxy
resin for structural performance. Through-thickness stitching and CIRTM were used to enhance
the damage tolerance and to reduce the cost of the armor.’

Cope.

19 Likes

First things first, S2 glass is fibreglass not ballistic glass.

Copy and pasting the same quote I posted except bolding the letters doesn’t change the fact its talking about insulation and sound dampening and integrating that into the spall liner, not bonding the spall liner into the composite?

Yeah the guys lived, what? You think all crew died prior to the invention of spall liner? War Thunder has got you guys severely overestimating how powerful weak shape charges are. Edit: even strong shaped charges arent a crew death sentence, friendly fire incidents involving missiles like hellfires show crews can survive.

Your study doesnt apply to the abrams, a study was also conducted into making a composite hull bradley, that doesnt mean bradleys have composite hulls.

“cope” want a serious discussion? Go to GHPC discord server and “vehicle discussions” there are research members and crews that can talk to you about it. Because ive already spoken to them and other people about it. Of course you’ll only do this is you’re interested in learning

14 Likes

This has nothing to do with the M1. Its a paper on researching an experimental composite armor for vehicles that never went into production.

7 Likes

Even the second page says that this is not a official government doc and doesn’t represent the army.
Screenshot 2023-12-18 101616

8 Likes

Read the references and footnotes section. Plenty of references to the Abrams program. In this document, on the military website, from the ARMY RESEARCH LABORATORY, references many Army programs…and you claim its not an official government document? You are truly delusional.:

Look again, search ‘Abrams’ and see what pops up in the footnotes.

Speaking of being dishonest, how can you claim this…:
“The findings in this report are not to be construed as an official
Department of the Army position unless so designated by other
authorized documents.”

…some how means it is not an official document? It only said that it can’t be considered an official position, which it would be hard to do as a research paper and not a mission statement, order, or request.

…and who said otherwise?
This is the BALLISTIC GLASS you seem to have ignored:

6 Likes

I do find it amusing you guys completely ignored the two PDFs that explicitly refer to the XM-1 as having a spall liner.

17 Likes

I didnt ignore it, you just ignored what I said instead

“my DTIC doc doesn’t contradict your source as my source is talking about production Abrams (document date is 1996), yours is talking about the XM1.” from a previous comment

7 Likes

The XM-1 was a prototype. Not the production M1s.

6 Likes

So let me get this straight, you’re arguing that the XM-1 being the prototype translates to the production model not incorporating the features that they insist be on the prototype?

15 Likes

I forgot about that link, sorry. But also wtf does this have to do with the abrams? This is anti spall film for glass? Glass… Metal is not glass, it doesnt shatter into a million pieces requiring a film holding it together

Second page of your document
Screenshot 2023-12-18 103107

4 Likes

Go read “King of the Killing Zone.”
https://www.amazon.com/King-Killing-Zone-Story-Americas/dp/0393332934

1 Like

I mean M1E1 had extra steel welded to the hull to simulate increased hull weight. Afaik M1A1 uses the same hull armor as the M1. So for Gaijin its probably not good enough evidence

3 Likes

…which does not state that it is not an official document. It says the findings in the report aren’t an official position. You claimed it said that it wasn’t an official document. That is not what it says at all.

LOL! The cope and denial here! XD

It’s ballistic glass. That spall lining in between to hard and spalling layers stops it from shattering. Glass is well known for fragmenting into many dangerous pieces…unless it has a spall liner BETWEEN the hard layers. Keep up.

11 Likes

What? Go to GPHC discord server vehicle discussions if you want to talk to other people, there are people dedicated to researching tanks there, like the Tankograd people and those focusing on western tanks because I think you need some help.

Like we went from tanks which use metal to glass??? What does glass have to do with this, unless youre talking about fibreglass which goes back to what I originally said.

3 Likes

What do you think spalling is? Please define it.

already did in my post, unless youre saying spalling isn’t fragments?

3 Likes

This is just blatantly incorrect

And pictures of unfinished hulls is disingenuous

9 Likes

source?

6 Likes

Its the turret. If you can’t tell that, perhaps you shouldn’t be commenting here.

7 Likes

this is why I chill in the british discussion posts lol

3 Likes