Distinct "PHX" marker instead of generic "MSL" for AIM-54 active seeker on RWR

you cant think what will come from F-14 and F-15 for example? theres no sense to add this not realistick stuff
ah, you tried to state that IFF on RWR is reaslistic, all comes into place

Except you can defeat a Phoenix while staying on the offensive by out maneuvering them which is harder to do against missiles like the AMRAAM or R-77.

Its extremely easy to tell if its a Phoenix launched at you. Just look with your eyes. Pay attention to your RWR if an F-14 is pinging you. You have all the tools in the world.

Is it burning for a suspiciously long time and you’re not getting an immediate RWR warning?
Probably a Phoenix.

Was it a shorter burn time and you didn’t get an RWR warning right away?
Probably a ARH that’s not a Phoenix.

Nice off-topic ad hominem

But just to show what an uneducated kid you are:

1 Like

If an RWR can accurately detect what missile is locking it, then sure, add that to the UI, but not for every RWR just because phoenixes are annoying (which is the intent I get from this post).

1 Like

And if both an F-14 and F-18 (APG-55) were pining you?!

That’s a very niche scenario
In real matches a mix of many missiles are gonna be launched from a long distance away, and by the time they get close they are all long burned out.

It’s not a matter of particular RWR, but a matter of missiles.
I.e. RWR is not the determining factor here, the missile seeker is.
I explained it in more details here and here.

theres not stated thay it works by identefication of all planes by freq/etc, might be just like other NATO RWRs, like AN/ALR-46, so, only target type, not country that operates it.

Who cares how it works?
It can tell friend from foe.

If enemy is operating the same radar type, you can always change your own radars’ PRF a little bit to make it distinguishable from the enemy planes.

AN/ALR-46 also can, but only by plane types, like MiG-29 and F-16

prove that.
page you provided - nothing in that case.

Did you provide any proof on how it tells friend from foe?!
Plus, if you want mindlessly realistic IFF then Soviet and NATO planes that play on the same team shouldn’t be able to IFF each other …

BTW, this is all off topic as I have told you already.
Have some forum etiquette and make a new thread if you want to discuss RWR IFF.

theres no proof on that.
same as RWR have IFF based only on freq

Why not? just dont put WP and NATO planes in same team.

Or we can have proper game design
You already have planes from opposite sides in the same nation … e.g. F-16 MLU in China.

Then how do you have the face to ask for proof on the counterclaim when you have no proof for your own claim?

And no, it’s not only based on “frequency”
There’s much more to a signal than just “frequency” …

Also stop the off-topic
Go make a thread if you want to discuss RWR IFF.

In real matches you can also zoom in and see what missiles have been launched at long range.

Id be most interesting in this mechanic for Air Sim, where that isnt really an option

Fair enough. I don’t really play sim so I don’t have anything to say about that.

I still think that this is like a copout. You’re just asking the game to tell you what to do instead of using what you have to make a decision on what to do.

Also, as for multipathing - if all the missiles actually worked historically, multipathing would not work against the AMRAAM, R-77, or PL-12. So it wouldn’t help anyway in distinguishing what to do the way you described.

Notching works against all missiles, but more advanced missiles have thinner and thinner notches. In which case you turn away, which is a more reliable way to defeat AMRAAMs, R-77s, PL-12s, and the like.

rwrs don’t distinguish radar systems irl its actually just detecting the IFF (Identify Friend or Foe) and that’s what gives you a reading of what aircraft is radar pinging you (in reality enemy aircraft would simply not show as an unknown signal on an rwr) the f4c for example does not have an IFF (if I remember correctly) and that why it doesn’t distinguish between different radar pings, but this is simplified Ingame so that all aircraft will reply to IFF signals (reply meaning that EX: F-15 IFF pings an F-16 IFF the f16 would then send a unique signal back the f-15 saying hey I’m a friendly)

Yes they do, they are fully able to distinguish the radar system based upon the frequency the radar is operating at.

Thanks to flame for this doc:

The tornado was actually able to distinguish the Phoenix seeker from other radar systems

1 Like

Thanks
Can you please share the page number, name and cover of the document?

I don’t have that info I’m afraid