[Development] Discussing reports related to the Challenger 2 MBT

In that case will we see responses to posted sources from users in the abrams, MANPADS and now this devblog soon™?

10 Likes

The document can be read fully. There is no issue there. As explained in the blog however, shells in game are calculated using a specific uniform system. Not raw penetration data: [Development] Improved Calculation of Armour Penetration in the game - News - War Thunder

I appreciate the response, and I’m not expecting responses directly from devs, especially out of office hours.

That said:

It feels like a lot is been seen and nothing done about it.

L27A1:
The source the devs are talking about includes a comparative analysis of the same test done with different darts. They show the CHARM 3 performing better than many darts which are in game that it performs worse than. The least I would expect is for them to make them equal given they don’t have “better data” for the test comparison they want.

ERA:
The current ERA does not provide level 5 protection. I’m not sure if they are maybe testing it wrong or interpreting the angles wrong. I’ve also seen some people suggesting that the TES should have level 6 protection. I also don’t understand where the aluminium backplate thing came from.

Damage model:
They said they are going to refactor it, but this is fairly non-committal. I struggle to believe it’s as easy to penetrate the mantlet in real life as it is in game. I guess we’ll have to see with this.

3 Likes

The thing is, the values are made up by gaijin (as they are classfied). Primary source got provied, that stated the penetration in number, so shouldnt the values be tweaked to match the primary source?

8 Likes

That is because gaijin stated it is Armor Sheild R (Even tho it isnt), and it provides STANAG 6

1 Like

The developers have checked out the ERA and it currently does meet the Level 5 protection at the specified 30 degree angles within the sources submitted:

Smin, you know that it combines not only the ERA/NERA block, but also backplate, air and hull side? The STANAG 5 is only to the block.
And it says

19 Likes

change-my-mind

26 Likes

This^

Also putting it more eloquently than I would’ve.

Just to add a little bit more to the L27A1 thing. doesn’t the current penetration calculator rely on having All the dimensions and material composition of the round. something that isn’t known publicly? Therefore any data given by said calculations would be estimations? and then wouldn’t a primary source such as the ones provided in reports of penetration comparison be taken into account?

When hell freezes over

Just for my sakes, when it says “frontal arc” does that mean a 25mm APFSDS round should bounce clean off if it hits square on from 500m or from the front of the vehicle? (if that makes sense at all)

Currently there is no clear evidence that only the ERA brick itself (not factoring in the rear plate) provides level 5 alone. The developers currently base it on the ERA + Back plate.

I will elaborate in a sec

2 Likes

yeah

1 Like

Devil on his way to write a literal essay for Smin

6 Likes

ADHD kicking in, someone get him a coffee too XD

1 Like

…how did they get that wrong?

So it should be a different ERA with STANAG level 5? Which it currently still doesn’t get in game?..

4 Likes

yeah shame too many words = nuh uh source incorrect

at this point it feels like purposeful misinterpretation of data.

That or its horrible translation errors. however my money is on the former.

1 Like

Ok, so as we can see on the Brochure

It talks about hybrid add on armor that combines reactive and passive elements, so something like that
It never talks about any backplate. And as it can be seen, it can be aplied to multitude of things, such as APCs, IFVs and MBTs. If the STANAG 5 protection was achieved only with help of 40mm backplate, it would had to be stated. If that is the case, and it is not stated, the company would be making false advertisement, and could be held responsible for loss of human life, in case of a war scenario it would fail to protect against threat corresponding to the STANAG 5.
If ASPRO-HMT was made specially for the Cr2 TES, it would be understandable, but it is not stated anywhere, rather the oposite, it is made for multitude of vehicles.
Also talking about Cr2 backplate
Challenger 2 with Dorchester Level 2G armor package, where you can see the backplate, in combination with VARMA block(it is not the marked one, the marked one is 200mm block, VARMA is on top, and it is the same thing that can be found on Dorchester level 2E and 2F, and it is also underpreforming, but i already made a report about it so not gonna elaborate about it). So the backplate was not made with ASPRO-HMT in mind.
Hope that clears it out.

25 Likes