[Development] Buccaneer S.2B: Swashbuckling Sky Pirate

okay, this may be a translation issue. I usually refer to Tiger B/II as Tiger King

1 Like

Never had them in real life as far as I know

Not a translation issue, originally it was called “Royal Tiger” by british troops who were the first to see them in Normandy 1944. just different names for it with King Tiger being the most common

1 Like

They should be man in the loop TV guided. They sent video back to the launch aircraft over data link and the crew could then fly the missile from a first person perspective.

2 Likes

No worries, i am only joking. The “Tiger King”/“King Tiger” actually is derived from the ambigous “Königstiger” which is the german name for the bengal tiger.

1 Like

As i said they were trialed

There is a problem though with man in the loop TV guiding. When the range of the missile is 60 km it can become very powerful. IMO, a cool feature to reduce the OPness of such TV guidance would be to physically switch to the weapons technician seat and guide it via the screen in the cockpit.

1 Like

Somehow I doubt they’ll be introduced with the guidance like that and will just be given the same type of contrast TV guidance as the Mavs, at least on introduction anyway, I’ll be very exited for them if they do get the correct guidance though

The AJ168s have a different approach to the ships than the Kormoran. Where the Kormoran is somewhat sea-skimming, the AJ168 attacks from altitude. ie, the AJ168 performs a steep dive onto the ships. This would reduce the problem with the buggy hitboxes and stuff.

2 Likes

with more than 100kg of explosive it will destroy some tanks : )

Have you got any evidence for that? I think I recall a rough sketch for a proposed bomb bay gun pack, but I’ve done a lot of reading about the Buccaneer and never seen anything to suggest one was actually tested.

1 Like

Is the Pave Spike TGP ever going to get refitted to any of the US aircraft (in the US tree) that could equip it?

The F-4E and F-4C / -4D could really use another look as US airframes in general rarely ever seem to have access to their full spectrum of ordnance, or other features(e.g. AN/ASX-1 TISEO) that for all intents and purposes should be present, but aren’t for some reason considering that they are already implemented on what is practically the same vehicles in other trees ( Kurnass 2000)?

4 Likes

The Kormorans aren’t even sea skimming in game though, as long as the point of aim remains brokenly set as the top of the tallest point on a ship they’re more than likely going to overshoot on side aspect launches or will fuze on a mast and do minimal shrapnel damage to the ships

1 Like

Nice to get a Buck without having only AIM-9B’s, time to get grinding with the Sea Harrier.

3 Likes

Yeah they are not sea skimming AShMs. But do they not appraoch the target at a low altitude? (some time since ive fired it at a ship, i dont remember) I believe the problem was that it always attacked the centre of the hitbox, and the hitbox was a rectangle that included all of the ship. Thus causing the centre of the hitbox of most ships to be empty air.

But we will see how it is implemented on the devstream

1 Like

TV but not electro optical like Maverick. The pilots literally fly the missile in. Similar to TV missiles on helicopters in Battlefield 2 if you’re not too young for that haha.

3 Likes

That vehicle also sits at a higher BR. Though they might be added when they do separate BR’s for Ground and Air.

The question now is will they be modelled like that

1 Like

Iirc it was in the original specification, but was quickly dropped and never left paper

… Oh the poor flareless subsonics.

Another insult to injury.

1 Like