Interesting! Found notes about the transfer of J35F1 35420 as a spare aircraft, but nothing of the modification of the J35F2. Do you know any more about it?
It was a testbed for modernized systems, specifically EMFCD, Sweden would get to fly it and try it out and as thanks for integration and testing J35F1 was given to us.
So its the same aircraft? The text to the photo says that karup received the F1, while the EMFCD was modified onto a F2
We got the F1 also but it was used for spare parts. F2 underwent EMFCD and went back to Sweden as part of the F10 squadron
So, overall, what other Drakens Danes operated which can be unique and still useful in WT for Drakening it all over the enemies? I am aware of pre-WDNS Draken
F-35 WDNS (mainline strike fighter)
F-35 Pre WDNS(use of bullpups and napalm, worse RWR)
TF-35 WDNS (Jammer and chaff dispenser and SEAD lead aircraft plus better RWR and WDNS systems)
TF-35 (Jammer and chaff dispenser and SEAD lead aircraft)
Could argue 9.7 for the Pre WDNS models as they used 9B missiles which would give sweden a 8.7-9.7 NE jammer and strike focused Draken, and then the upgraded pair for 10.0-11.0 NE
(So a J35D (using this as a reference for engined power over the J35A) engined long trial Draken with only 2 missiles and countermeasures and a RWR at 9.7 while the better versions sit at 10.3)
Could throw in the J35F2 and F1 but they wouldn’t be too different, iirc there was a towed decoy one but I’ll need to double check
@Savage-SRC for now a list of differences,
Realistically gaijin could add the Recon models but they don’t offer a change in gameplay aside from the camera for photos on the Nose.
Which unit used the F2?
Let me ask, I’m not actually sure about that one
F10 used it
Ah i misunderstood. I thought you meant the danish air force used them!
F10 wing also used J-35J’s up until the 1990’s
@JimmieJugend I did get that wrong I skipped the page talking about the handover.
J35F1 was given to us and used for spare parts, J35F2 after integration of EMFCD was flown back to Sweden with the J35F1 being given as a reward for help with setting up the F2.
F1 was chosen as we didn’t see a reason to have the IRST sensor on the nose like the F2 had.
Till 1999 no?
December 1999 to be more precise
Did find this neat little page on the early procurement of the F-35, even mentioning that due to close ties with the US airforce and their naming system that we decided to make the Draken based on their own naming system
From what I have read, the RF-35 WDNS and RF-35 pre WDNS were also able to carry a lot of the same armaments as the F-35, so they would also be contenders for potential aircraft.
RF-35 lacked bullpups which is why I didn’t include it when mentioning the Pre WDNS
Since we are all yapping here, some Danish pilots were reschooled to fly Filip (F models), in preparation for the tests with 35571. Saab also made offers after the initial orders for converted 35F models that had been modified to fit the 35XD specs, but without any of the additional pylons and the option for PS-01 in the nose (for the first model at least. 35FD, as the project was called, is a total mess and never became a thing, but in a different timeline, Denmark may have flown hodgepodged Filips.
I still have to work on the Starfighter and Super Sabre submissions one of these days, now that I have about as much source material as one can get (besides the flight manuals, but I have books written by the pilots and ground crew, so I probably have everything besides a couple figures).
Likewise I also need to decode the AIM-9N-3 DE-84. I know what is different about it, but I don’t know what it does to the actual performance in the game. It’s another option for the WDNS mod anyhow.
And lastly, I got my big breakthrough post that I also have to make, just because there is only one other person I would trust to write the submission, and that’s the guy I got the book from. That SINGLE book I could only find in some ancient Dutch store on all of the English internet.

