Cold War Bombers: Enhancing Historical Depth and Gameplay in War Thunder

Late cold War strategic bombers would just be missile fodder at this point in time. Pretty much anything past 4.3 (ie Pe-8) lacks the required balance of performance/defence/survivability to thrive.

*Obviously this doesn’t include the complete outliers such as Ju288, or types such as the Buccaneer that play more like attackers than true bombers especially when being AA missile slingers themselves.

The game definitely needs is a rejig on large bombers from top to bottom if they are to have a future. Additionally rather than jumping straight to the household names such as B-52 or Vulcan instead take a more measured approach and bring in the first generation of post war types such as B-45, B-50, Tu-80 ,il-22 etc, with incremental performance improvements but still firmly subsonic and retaining at least a tail turret. The problem is though 99% don’t want these stepping stones and just want what they see on TV in the same way many fighter jocks demand Stealth and Fox 3 but not the late 40s learning curve machines.

Honestly I don’t see a solution arriving any time soon. What will work in one mode will likely be very broken in another. Maybe once full BR vs mode come in to play it will be a real possibility.

1 Like

I honestly don’t see subsonic Cold War bombers in game, like the b52. We already have things like the Vautour that is completely unbalanceable, fighting supersonic jets in pretty small maps. And, with such a big bomb load, having the b52 any lower would make it to good. Supersonic ones, maybe, but even then

I’ve requested it to be transferred over to the Suggested Aircraft section of the Forums, hopefully my message will get actioned as soon as it can.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m a bomber player and love all the big flying beasts in the game and would love to one day see the B-36. But, i don’t think things like the B-52 and other similair bombers currently have a place in the game. Playing bombers above 8.7 just makes you a missle magnet and most fighters that can carry bombs will take out the bases before we even get there.

So, i think reworking the bomb bases might be a solution to this. Offcourse you need to look at way more to make it work but it would be a good start. So, instead of the 3 to 4 we have now. They could look into replacing them with light, medium and heavy bomb targets. So every class has something to go after. Creating a heavy bomb target further back in the map (2 for example) could allow for bigger payloads to be dropped in air rb. Or something that requires 2 full drops for a bigger reward or something.
Maybe keep the mediums at the same health as the current ones are now and place them between of the map and some light targets with less health point around the front lines for the fighters or for the people that are grinding a new plane and don’t have a full payload yet.

The increased bomb loads would make a challenge for balancing in ground rb but i’m sure with some changes they can make it work.

1 Like