Chinese Air-To-Air missiles, History, Performance & Discussion

anyone know about the PL-9N??

The pl_9_n is a texture file, n being the normal map iirc. (pl_9_c is also a texture file)

1 Like

It is normal “PL-9”, not an upgraded model.

So the PL-9C should be chinas 9M equivalent then right? Or it should atleast have have some actual ECCM in the seeker right?

PL-9C has R-73 type IRCCM, but it is slightly better than R-73 in that regard. (Slightly smaller FoV?)

Basic PL-9 has no IRCCM.

then PL-9 could be the missle that really helps china, only problem is i dont think its for most of their regular domestic planes

its an export only missile, and even then its mostly export J-7s that use it, JF-17 doesnt use PL-9s afaik

Most soruces seem too sight the JF-17 as using the PL-9, which makes since as it’s both an export missle, and similar in size and ergonomics too the PL-5

PL-9 is more comparable in size to the PL-8 than to PL-5s, but yes I looked into it and it seems Nigeria uses PL-9Cs for their JF-17s

1 Like

But the issue is most websites that mentions Nigerian JF17 has PL-9Cs don’t have any credible source to back their claims.

I actually remember trying to find photographic evidence of PL-9’s used the on the JF-17, but in the end I couldn’t find any, so now I’m definitely not so sure. It’s very possible that the PL-9 might be a sign of other PLA aircraft coming besides the JF-17

1 Like

Maybe a Pakistani / Bangladeshi J-7 variant as new squadron / premium vehicle

1 Like

Hopefully we will get more strike jets alongside the fighters. JL-9/FTC2000 could fill some gaps.

1 Like

I guess could add Lead-In Fighter Trainer (LIFT) and Multirole light combat aircraft Hongdu L-15A gap between Q-5L & JH-7A if armed PL-12 and Guizhou FTC-2000G Mountain Eagle

I mean, China is probably one of the best prepped trees for ARH.
PL-12 on JH-7 and J-8F and AIM-120 on F-16 MLU.
Now we just need proper IRCCM IRAAMs.

3 Likes

I hope this year gajin consider AIM-9M or AIM-9M-9 replacement AIM-9L and AIM-9P replace by AIM-9P-4 on F-16A Block 20 MLU

1 Like

PL-17

2 Likes

those loadouts are very confusing

The trajectory of the PL-17:

It’s supposed to loft really high (up to 30KM) to go above the detection of enemy AWACS and radar.
It’s range is more than 300km.

So the PL-17 is really a R-37M alike missile. It goes to the stratosphere to achieve maximum range but then it cannot really maneuvers at high alt. So if the target maneuvers at all, the missile is wasted.
(At 30KM , the aerodynamical surface of the missile are useless because there is not enougth air to move the missile).

5 Likes

PL-5EII

3 Likes