Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion

ah balls, now it makes sense. i thought i stumbled on something like that.

Got section 26ed, which to be fair, seeing as it wouldn’t be sensible to say what our armour was and wasn’t resilient to

Again, to refer to my previous comments

I suspect in absence of anything better, we’re gonna have to go with increased resilience to fragmentation (be it artillery or spalling from shot) and maybe small arms.

I mean regardless spall is fragments, and the body armour provides full protection against that, your not asking for it to stop an apfsds XD it’s equivalent to a spall liners kevlar protection to the vital organs

I would not make a connection between wearing PPE inside a tank and the existence of spall liners. It’s not really a logic I can follow since it is common to wear PPE in all tank in all nations, having spall liners or not

1 Like

ehhhh, here’s the thing
If i was strictly speaking acting true to life I wouldn’t expect ECBA to stop hot fragments from a penetrating 125mm round from the side.

The other thing is the X-ray doesn’t discriminate based on where you’re hit. So a .50 hitting your toes might not be a instant death, but 5.56 to the vital organs might, if you catch what i’m saying

And i’m concerned Gaijin will somehow use that as an excuse, even though it’s ridiculous and unfair.

I suppose you’d need to ask whether tanks with Spall liners wear PPE to the effect that they can stop incoming small arms fire or not

1 Like

Are those the 50cal plate carriers?

RAC blokes are funny about what is a tank and what isn’t. I’m pretty sure they’d deny the AVRE was - especially one with Royal Engineers inside it.😄

But yeah, that was on Op. Motorman in 1972. The turret was to face backwards at all times, they covered the barrel with a tarp to disguise the fact it still had one, and no HESH ammunition was deployed with the Centurion - so it was just a bulldozer so far as any political sensitivities went.

3 Likes

apart from anything else i feel like a HESH loaded Centurion could’ve been a liability. wasn’t Op Motorman for the installation of watchtowers?

Depends on the type worn, I mean British crews can be Sean with virus body armour recently.

Here are some Danish Crewman wearing Plate Carriers

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.ukas.com/wp-content/uploads/schedule_uploads/00002/4354Testing-Single.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi1lav2zcmDAxUgQEEAHTFTCVoQFnoECA0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2OdRCzVpU2ikdfpFD6-rjL
This isn’t ppe it’s literally body armour, it’s designed to stop fragmentation
The 50 test is used to measure the resistance of a material against fragments. The standard was originally made for bullet proof helmets, but today it is used for all situations where fragments can occur. It is also used for bullet proof vests, riot equipment and ballistic plates.

To measure the V50 value, different FSPs (fragments) are used where the most normal size is 1.1g. This fragment is fired at with different velocities, to measure the resistance of the material against fragments.

The most common standards for testing the fragmentation resistance of a ballistic product are:

US Standard - Mill STD 662 E
UK Standard - UK / SC / 5449
NATO Standard - STANAG 2920

1 Like

PPE meaning Personal Protection Equipment which body armour should fall under

Yeh i think PPE is too broad of a term as it also means safety boots, dust mask, high vis etc. If you just say what it actually is being soft body armour there’s no confusion.

1 Like

Motorman was getting into residential areas that the IRA had control over. They barricaded the entrances with cars and buses then burned them down to stop them from being moved. That’s why the Army used the AVRE’s.
This was after they detonated 22 bombs in Belfast which killed 9 people and injured 130.

1 Like

All I’m saying is if the crew member dies from 5 direct spall hits without the chest armour, but survives from 2 leg hits and the body armour stops the other 3 leaving the crew member orange or red it’s worth having imo.

I think some people in the Army would be Sean.

1 Like

It would be funny if they just added the armour as spall liners in the exact shape as the torso but with a x1.01 size increase.
Just take the torso model and multiply it by 1.01

3 Likes

that’s fine, but the problem is for us we have no idea what that ECBA actually provides in terms of levels of protection. we could work backwards using STANAG 2920, but that doesn’t actually give us a figure.

I mean air crews already have a flack jacket modification so i don’t see why crews shouldn’t get equivalent protection, it’s literally stated that it must be worn.

2 Likes

Helicopters too

2 Likes

Yes we do https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a8005c140f0b62305b88b37/20151022-FOI_2015_09029_ECBA_Osprey_protection_levels_publication-O.pdf

1 Like