Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

He has better armour values lol

1 Like

lol !!😂

1 Like

What i don’t understand is a mod posted a photo to prove a point for the armour but when i do it in a bug report it’s not good enough Community Bug Reporting System funny enough it actually shows how the armour block is behind the 2 visible steel plates around the breach

2 Likes

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/VAYhfQNIBFbX

I think the Rotor thickness is very clearly mislabeled in PA after further examination. Look at the Leopard 2s trunnion. Its 240mm thick, and is pretty fat. I think the real things trunnion is made of Titanium or something like that. Could be completely wrong. Anyways. Comparing to the Challenger 2s rotor its pretty clear that they are about the same size, and noone has any issue with the Leopard 2 trunnion thickness. I think the Challenger 2s rotor thickness value it tells us in protection analysis should be changed to 200 when hovered over. Atleast, thats what it seems like when visually compared. I however do not know the rotors true thickness. Just whats visually available to observe.

so, this video has 2 very interesting things. one is an image of the lower frontal plate with spall liner, and the other is a mention it can reach 80kph on road.

Interesting, what time are these shown at?

images at aroun 29:00 and the 80kph at around 31:00

That certainly looks like a spall liner to me

3 Likes

It has already been reported
https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/S3xGexRIXPBx

oh so… fix by the end of 2028. lol

2 Likes

fixed in only 4 years ??? dream on lol 2138 more like

Fix? I’ll have you know that’s actually just the storage location of a blanket to keep tea warm. Please provide 2 primary sources and a signed letter from the designer of the tank to prove otherwise)))

1 Like

e4734c7a2e8b75c80601e3381c2bbbea8ad15e4f_2_493x1000
so in the updated armour model the layered composite block behind the 2 laminated exterior plates should cover more of the breach area like in the photo’s atm its just the exterior plates that is acting as amour. The last photo shows the thin sheet covering the armour layout blown away to see where it actually covers.

Old vs New Collision model:

Also i’m pretty sure the image of the trunnion/mantlet assembly is taken from inside the turret looking out the way.

Spoiler

Based on lighting, there’s a brighter well lit area seen through the barrel hole, with a singlular dim and yellow light (almost like there’s a torch lighting up a dark interior) for the visible assembly.

This makes sense as it would leave gaps for the actual breach trunnions to slot into, heres a very rough mockup:

And how it currently is in-game:

Spoiler

13 Likes

did you make this?

These are the in game collision meshes without the 0 thickness parts that I assume are to prevent shrapnel from getting through small gaps.
For the new model, they are the parts:

• gun_barrel_dm
  • turret_bottom_dm
  • cannon_breech_dm
  • gun_mask_03_dm
  • turret_04_front_dm

would make sense when replacing the barrel i guess

I had the same hypothesis (the breach trunnions slot in the ‘‘mantlet holes’’ which face the inside of the tank) a while back (post 7058, where I try to explain it). It just seem more plausible than the opposite.

I think it will be interesting for the people which support the thesis of the ‘‘mantlet hole facing the outside’’ to justify why they think that, to explain how did they come to that conclusion.