Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

Apparently its £10 a shot

Just love our MOD procurement. Doesn’t want to spend money so tries to make a cheap alternative but then all the problems that come with trying to do it on the cheap causes it to become horribly over budget and doesn’t even see service….

I had a reply typed up yesterday but deleted it, about how ridiculous it was that we were being asked to calculate the weight of a steel plate of given dimensions vs an aluminium plate of given dimensions.

3 Likes

That was funny to see. Especially when they want it to hold up to wear and tear. I know there are aluminium alloys that are harder but it’s still aluminium and sheared bolts is a common theme with it.

1 Like

zhxplkwnbji91

New report, regarding the chemical protection of ASPRO HMT.
https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/hUjNza9bvJyP

Minimum protective value of above 600mm
Likely value of 1200mm, which lines up with TES’ original armor values upon release

13 Likes

Also, did we ever find out where they pulled this aluminium thing from?

They claimed it was sourced, did they ever reaveal the super secret magical source?

I Really Admoire Your Tenacity I Admire Your Determination GIF - I Really Admoire Your Tenacity I Admire Your Determination Perseverance - Discover & Share GIFs

6 Likes

To my knowledge, no, the source is still a bottle of ketchup in a place the sun dont shine

Still hilarious they think a mid 2000s ERA built for an mbt where weight isn’t a real problem wouldn’t be able to stop an rpg which is seen in almost every battlefield on the plant made in 1988…

1 Like

I shall add it to the list, any others in the past few days. I need to do a sweep to check for them at some point.

1 Like

No lol
It was kind of pulled from nowhere and very quickly dismissed by everyone (including myself) who wrote a giant report calculating approximate weights in relation to the TES armor package weight.

Aluminium allow came in FAR under the expected weight, while steel was quite realistic.
It’s not aluminium

I can’t remember if anyone’s actually tried contacting the company who made the ERA to see if we can’t get some basic stats or knowledge about it? Like how they tested the protection level of it or what kind of chemicals threatens it can defeat?

1 Like

Apparently the xray does not currently line up with the damage model. Real TES protection value is 500mm in game right now. The number is wrong in xray, so we…kind of??? defeat RPG-7 PG-7VL, single stage rounds.

sort of.

After god knows how many years its good to see something happening with the challenger 2s, this little think tank is great for getting info… Just praying gaijin actually act on what we provide

1 Like

Goodluck with that lol
Defence companies tend to only speak to representatives, not public enquiry

How-about-no GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 Like

Watch the armour remake butcher the protection to Leclerc level

1 Like

It always confused me as we all know it’s at least two layers of armour. The outa layer of era and the inner layer of composite (most likely varma from what I’ve been told?). So how have we in game been stuck with one block of “ERA” with the same stats as just a normal block of varma? Would it not be more correct for it to be a block of Varma (30mm and 400mm respectively) with era ontop which gives 400mm of ce by itself?

Cracks me up, knowing this is giving Gaijin such a headache, while i’m doing all this while I watch Breaking Bad clips and eat squares of chocolate lmao

8 Likes

Make an inquiry about adding some ERA to your totally real tank (a ford transit)

1 Like