Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

its a damn shame man, damn shame

oh also has anyone noticed how fucking loud the chally 2s and 1s are now?

1 Like

I mean the CR1s and 2s have always been quite noisy but…

1 Like

CR2s are quiet because your hull down on a hill waiting for get farmed through your mantlet.

3 Likes

Glorified Casemate you say?

What it feels like.

How does Gaijin decide what armour is high hardness or just normal rolled armour?

If we could get some of the armour plates changed to high hardness the Chally 2 could become quite a bit more tanky. For example getting the outer/inner plates on the LFP and turret changed to high hardness would help a lot, without actually getting the armour thickness increased.

The Leopards, Arietes, Leclerc, VT4, STRV-122 all feature this to a degree, so it could be possible

2 Likes

In some cases there are sources that state what metal is used. In other cases, they make guesstimates on what would most likely be used. Also photos on ballistic tests can tell to a certain degree due to different behaviours from HHA and RHA.

Fun fact, the side skirts on the newer leopard 2’s found on D tech side skirts aren’t HHA, they’re composite.

1 Like

seriously man try do anything that isnt letting people roll into your LOS is a death sentence, im trynna spade the tes now, coming back from the BK and 2E and its torture.

The chally 2s feel like theyre made out of paper when in reality theyre great for defence

or the fact the chally 3 TD is a mix mash and doesnt have the correct armours at all.

ive got all the challys bar the 3TD now seeing as its HP got nerfed, and its armour is incorrect, ive decided to try and spade the challanger 2 TES, it has become a bloody chore, the L27A1 round is pretty pathetic in comparisson to other top tier rounds, the mobility is god awful, the ERA does absolutely nothing seeing as most ATGMs are tandem and go through it, or the fact most auto cannons can pen it easily anyway. And it has a giant table on the roof designed to jam IEDs im sure but ofc thats useless in game and just gives the position away.

I thought the chally 2s where great when i first got them as they were my first top tier,… but now after getting 4 other nations to the same BR i realise how bad they actually are and how difficult it is to make them work effectively.

Don’t talk about my beloved M-84 like that :(

I also played 11.3 challies a bit to grind for the desert warrior. I think scorching my balls with a blowtorch is more fun than this. It’s just tragic at this point.

7 Likes

I hate to go against the grain, but I honestly enjoy the Challengers, they aren’t the best MBTs but anyone who says they are unplayable needs to learn to play the game

I’ve played quite a few games in them today and have frequently been in the top of my team

2 Likes

The CR2s have an almost entirely reactive play style, which is fairly counter productive to the whole winning matches and grinding efficiently thing, ergo relatively unfun, thus unplayable.

4 Likes

I would urge you to prove it, best games in a CR2 are 4-6 kills with 2-4 assists. Russian CAS and T-80s finish the game with 8-12 kills.

Your L27A1 isn’t reliable

1 Like

I also enjoy them, which is why I want to see them get better. They aren’t ‘unplayable’ in the sense you cannot get kills with them, personally I maintain a pretty good K/D in them. The main problem is they are very uncompetitive, especially in 1v1’s or in carry matches. If your team leaves, which is very common seeing as UK gets paired with USA a lot. (USA players spawn once and if they cannot spawn CAS after death they generally leave, at least in my experience.)

In those 1v1 or carry scenarios you pretty much have nothing going for you as far as advantages over any given tank. The only big advantage you get is reload, and now that Abrams and Leclerc got their reloads buffed to about the same level it isn’t nearly as significant as it used to be. At this point you get:

Worst shell in top tier - L27 has lower pen than most and only okay spalling.
Second/third worst protection in top tier. (behind Ariete and arguably Leclerc)
Worst mobility in top tier - bad top speed, poor acceleration, lose all speed in turns.
Largest/heaviest profile in top tier - Difficult to hide behind buildings or cover effectively, and in the case of 2F and TES you have the pizza tray as a massive ‘shoot me’ sign.

3 Likes

They are certainly not unplayable, but they are just not fun to play.
11.7 challies are a bit better, but the 11.3 just feel like you play an “armored” snail.

Best summary of Challengers so far.

Don’t forget Merkavas. At least the Challengers has turret cheek armour.

Only 1 of the 11.7 Challengers are 11.7 worthy, that being the 2E. Unironically 3TD needs its BR lowered same with all current 11.3 Challengers.

2 Likes

15 Likes

basically it, people see us get 4-6 kill games and tell us were doing fine. They then dont look at how we can get 10 kill games quite easily in other tanks at the same br, let alone with assists, caps, baits, bounces (still pissed they removed points on bounces, effectively nerfing all my heavy tanks even more).

The challengers are flat out bad, same with the arietes. Both of these tanks are fcked beyond belief at brs thy shouldnt be at (the ariete would actually be a good tank at 10.3/10.7, but gaijin NEED to fill the top tier line up for italy or they would get complaints, there solution is to ham fist a tank that cant perform at the wrong br).

3 Likes