Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

Ok are you all done, YAPPING?

1 Like

Well the contradiction is, that there is a official project for a bridge between 2A8 and MGCS. But we have no official requirements for it publicly available (there are likely some when they expect to show the prototype next year but likely internal).
Which means that a demonstrator form Rheinmetall (not KDNS) with a 130mm gun from Rheinmetall would stay a private venture as long as it’s not ordered for procurement. Which was my point even if I have made it quite confusing.

But devil is right we should bury this/move it to another thread for it is off topic

1 Like

Well that’s something we can agree on

1 Like

Yet they fitted the 130mm to the tank, carried out live firings and revealed it publicly before fitting the smoothbore 120mm in the turret, and you think there was no intent in that w/r/t the CR2LEP bid and assessing UK interest in re-arming challenger?

After. 120 was fitted in 2019 LEP, while 130 was mounted in 2020. It was done somewhere in early 2020, official release was done in late 2020 before RBSL singed the contract for Cr3 in early 2021.

2 Likes

This. Besides, I think this has been discussed enough.

1 Like

It probably it’s a test Shell Made with a heavy alloy to simulate the weight of a real tungsten alloy shell

I believe France is choosing the 140 mm low pressure cuz DU performs worse at higher speeds than tungsten, and if You remember France it’s the heaviest user of uranium in europe since they have a Lot of nuclear plants, and the 130 mm its a high pressure meaning it performs better with tungsten alloy

The low pressure comes from the Ascalon massively increasing the chamber pressure. There’s also a few other design considerations that went into its design (which mostly align with native French developments) but Ascalon will be using a tungsten penetrator. But this is not the thread for this.

Either way the British will eventually end up choosing either one of the two if not just buying whatever either France or Germany produce which is probably most likely.

My apologies. I had thought the 130mm CR2 footage had accompanied it at NEDS in winter 2019 when the proposal for CR2 with a 130mm gun was first made public, and DSEi with the 120mm had been the following summer not the preceding one.
RBSL’s NEDS 2019 presentation for CR2LEP had included the proposal for the 130mm Challenger but only displayed the shell, not the gun.

4 Likes

“oh, 63 new messages, wonder if they found anything new about the challenger 2”
→ look inside
→ german mains arguing again over 130mm chally 2

4 Likes

this is how this thread is ending

1 Like

Thats a bad way to end it

1 Like

God damn that is a long fucking rod.

8 Likes

I mean, if that was legal, then almost every single tank using the Rh120 would be allowed into the US tree as the progenitor of that gun was the 120mm Delta gun trialled by the USA for the T95 medium tank.

Hunnicutt’s “Abrams” book pretty clearly states that while the USA had to fight tooth and nail to get the MBT-70 to use driver-in-turret layout and the 152mm Gun-Launcher approved by the Germans, the Germans were absolutely fine with buying the old 120mm smoothbores from the USA and even suggested them as an option for the MBT-70 program.

It’s actually a bit of a shame the brainrot over ATGMs won in the USA for a short time.

Ahem digression over, please return to standard discussion of the topic at hand.

On that note though:

The 130MM demonstrator uses the same sights as on the CR 2 LEP RBSL, CR.3 and Ajax and not those found on Leopard or any future planned development of Leopard. So whilst neither went for the gun, the UK is the only of the two countries that had the government purchase any of the technology shown on the tank.

Not that I particularly care about this argument because its a no-brainer that it should be in the British tree because Germany have other options.

I know it might sound rude, but dont. Let it die.

1 Like

I am currently reading through this, regretted it once i read all the way to the bottom.

the ascalon so far can only go up to 20 MJ in chamber presssure and its naturally put up to 16 MJ and as i said this may be because of the DU rounds performing worse at over 1600 m/s according to tests and hence why some rounds like M829A3 have been limited to 1550 m/s in exchange they are really long, or at least that’s my suspicions on why they developed the ascalon

Pause…