Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

From what I could find, DM63A1 is compatible to different guns. DM63 can only be fired from Rheinmetall L44 and L55 guns.

Right now, the only way I can think of making Challenger 3 competitive is giving it DM73, L55A1 was designed with DM73 in mind, the higher pressure allows it to fire heavier rods with the same velocity

The higher pressure is generated bye the DM73 charge. The A1 was made to withstand that pressusre. Normal 55 can also fire it, but it will survive iirc max 3 shots before takng damage that makes it impossible to continue fire

yeah thats what I said, a polish magazine says DM73 prototype weighed 10kg instead of 8.5kg for DM63 (with petals included). I dont see DM73 being added and DM63/A1 wont make a difference in game so…

3 Likes

iirc DM63A1’s were created from upgraded DM53

1 Like

grafik

The penetrator itself is the same so that would only be a change made to the sabot, likely because of the increased pressure.

6 Likes

so im assuming higher penetration comes from higher velocity?

Ill have to find that penetrator material velocity chart, because at a certain speed, stuff doesnt get better.

Yes, according to Rheinmetall DM73 achieves a muzzle velocity of 1780m/s.
grafik

hmm thats only 30 m/s faster than DM53 in game, you can probably put that in a calculator to see penetration values

Well, that 30 is a big step when it comes to irl. it might seem insignificant in game, but irl it is a big jump

This was done already. Using the same data as DM53 but with a muzzle velocity of 1780m/s, it results in 663mm.

1 Like

yeah im thinking about if it achieves 20% increase because iirc that was the original goal or claim

DM53 is also not in service anymore. Only DM53A1, DM63 and DM63A1 are being used. These rounds all have a lower muzzle velocity of 1720m/s, caused by the more consistant performance.
The 20% increase will be achieved by KE2020 Neo.
grafik

1 Like

ok so correct me if im wrong, current DM73 is only a bridge between previous rounds and the KE2020 Neo (DM83 im guessing) which will be all new, that round aims for a 20% improvement and that is still under developement

3 Likes

Should i go to the 7AV topic and drop this there?
image0 (2)

6 Likes

I enjoy when Russian mains complain about something instead of getting all the preferential treatment ngl, it’s a nice change of pace

4 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQK0u-VswSw Demo showing that even if you compare to ERA the ingame armour value for Chobham is way off

2 Likes

I already know where to send my recently aquired M55 VX rocket….

I just got CR3 and it’s already going to be made unplayable, unless it gets DM63A1…

Prepare for it to be even more ammoracked than the CR2s. Mantlet shot= ammo detonation.

1 Like

Ain’t no way gunjob was on and he didnt take a look at my report =(
this is so sad, i wont ping him but if he’s on could somebody send him here =) v
https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/WGF4kjuoocHb

i think i told you before why it got denied

yeah i know, but gunjob did tell me to post it so maybe if he sees it, it can at least get send to a tm and i can be denied by them, instead of the first mod to see it saying no and locking the topic so i cant even say why i sent it as a bug report :/