Ch’ŏnma-2 (Prototype) – Crown Jewel of the Korean People's Army

Since driver sits in the same spot as in T-64/72/80 its safe to assume all of them sit in turret…if so i wonder whats the ammo capacity and reload rate in such cramped conditions.

I don’t understand. You mean that nuclear weapons are easier to develop than modern tanks?

Nukes predates modern MBTs, so relatively speaking, yes.

wow. I didn’t know that. It was easy to develop a nuclear weapon. Then other countries can just develop nuclear weapons rather than tanks or airplanes.

Well, not exactly.

Its harder to access materials required for nuke than for tank gun but once you hav them, its “relatively” easy for goverment to slap it together. Little boy and fat man were primitive but they were still nukes in the era of Shermans and Pershings.

Recently Ive been seeing images of the M2020 with ERA blocks covering the front and sides of the turret, and the sides of the hull. Judging by their appearence, they look like they were probably inspired/based on Chinese ERA.

I dont know much about Korean tanks, but id imagine not much if anything is known about their ERA, though if i had to make an educated guess id say its protection is probably comparable to either Kontakt-1 or Kontakt-5.

Regardless, it could be a nice add-on armor modification for this vehicle

As I know, they imported the production line from USSR or Russia, even China. Developing a 125mm production line by self, is another problem. As I know, North Korean did get some 125mm cannons from Iran or another country(I don’t remember), and used them in Sŏn’gun series. But 125mm storage
run out in later time, so Sŏn’gun stopped developing and producing.
So, 3 possibilities, first, new 125mm supply source. Second, self developed 125mm base on 115mm. Third, 115mm gun. I think the 2, 3 are more possible.

Full breakdown of the new additions on the M2020 can now be found on RedEffects channel

2 Likes

Redeffect is far from a reliable source

Renamed to M2020 Prototype, while M2020 Production suggestion is currently pending (with some improved photos, armour analysis, etc.)

Have also updated parts of the suggestion to reflect the new information, such as the proven lack of an autoloader now.

Why would that be

1 Like

highly biased at times, and rarely supplies any valuable input

This particular video seems accurate enough, I didn’t see any glaring issues. Can’t speak for the rest of his videos though.

2 Likes

Has the autoloader actually been disproven? As far as we know, the tank has 4 crew members, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have an autoloader - for example, the Leopard 2 PT14 and CV90120 both have autoloaders AND 4 crew members.

Elaborate?

1 Like

The CV90120 has a semi-auto loader, hence the 4th crew member is a loader.

And, IIRC, the Leopard 2 PT-16/T14 had a semi-autoloader mode IRL, with both full and semi being available (hence the existence of the loader). But in game, only the full autoloader is modelled.

So unless North Korea developed a semi autoloader, we’re sure. It would be a pretty odd thing to do as well. Bearing in mind none of their MBTs have ever had an autoloader, it makes some sense they want to continue that trend (maybe for ease of training? reliability issues?)

Unless we get an unedited clip of it firing 2 shells so we could time the reload, or we get closer photos showing e.g. a shell ejection port, we won’t get 100% confirmation, but the reveal of 4 crew is ~90% of the way there.

3 Likes

It’s not meant to be some magical reliable source but a little bit of insight about the new M2020s modifications. He’s decently well knowledged and usually goes in-depth with stuff he researches and a example of this being the T-14s engine (definitely more reliable than LazerPig).

And 1 thousand times better than The Military (misinformation) Show 😂

6 Likes

We can agree on this lmao

From what I recall, the website I downloaded this from claimed it to be the Ch’onma-2 back in 2015. I have not retained the source, but I’m skeptical that something like this would go unnoticed by defence analysts, unless of course it was released after the tank’s reveal in 2020.
m2020in2015

3 Likes

I haven’t seen that before, and reverse image search shows nothing. I’m going to do some more digging!

2 Likes