Ch’ŏnma-2 (Prototype) – Crown Jewel of the Korean People's Army

I mean they have a 3 micron semiconductor manufacturing facility apperantly. Thats good enough to make a Intel 8086 copy. And also maybe good enough for the making the missiles.

Besides, its not gonna be very hard to just import the ICs needed here, its very old ICs.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it isn’t a worry, but most definitely it is much less so than countries such as Germany and USA.

The majority of the money spent in those countries doesn’t even go to equipment, which people often times forget. USA is always pointed too with “see, big number so we’re the best”, but then explanations as to why China is rapidly approaching the US position despite the lower budget is simply ignored because it either:
A. Doesn’t fit the narrative of the person
B. The person isn’t aware of things such as what I mentioned (most likely option)
C. The person is aware but isn’t confident enough or well versed enough to talk about it, hence remains quiet
D. Other options I don’t mention here and can’t be assed to think of

5 Likes

A tank is not an APS system.

I never disputed the claim that these tanks are made in North Korea.

Ignore me then, sorry 😅

Agreed. This is the same thing that happens here: people don’t like North Korea and then assume they must be still in the 70s RE their military. When, in reality, they appear to be modernising pretty quickly and are becoming a real threat to South Korean forces (which, yes, while they have the K1/K2s, they also still operate ~600 M48s.)

1 Like

North Korean still has a long way to go. Very much so in the aviation department and incredibly so in the naval.
As well as the fact that ROK is protected by the USA while we are unsure whether DPRK would be protected, they have been on shaky ground with both PRC and Russia for a long time.

Nevertheless, they are indeed making big steps militarily. It’s fun for games, but I do wonder what it’s worth in real life…

4 Likes

Unfortunately, T-62s and their modernised variants, while completely outmatched by K1s, K2s, maybe even M1s if the US fully gets involved, can and will still kill. I think it’d be a similar situation to Ukraine/Russia tbh. Ukraine has more modern western vehicles for the most part but both countries still heavily rely on 60s, 70s, 80s era vehicles.

Agreed, I was reading up on these and they really are behind. North Korea’s air force is in shambles.

1 Like

I mean they objectively are with their M2020. Outside of the imported APS system and gunners sight and commanders sight. If i were to guess, also probably imported.

Which is impressive given up untill the M2020 they were in the 1960s. Still majority operating essentially heavily upgraded T-62 tanks.

33% of nothing is still nothing. “Large sum of money” can be still relatively small.

None of the above require things like complex electronics such as microprocessors.

We didnt see exactly theirs APS work, even with video.

Weve seen APS they field to work. You cant possibly prove that they produced it.

Not only i suggest it, I strongly believe it. Why would their allies allow them to produce their own complex parts when they can keep selling those things to them?

Do we?

Never said that. On the contrary.

People still need to eat, sleep and travel to work. You still need qualified workers working in your factories. NK being tolatiarian hellhole does not change that.

Again, 1/3 of nothing is still nothing

I was under impression they fear NK nukes, howitzers and rocket launchers in eange of Seoul, not dolar store armatas.

I agree and i kept that in mind.

My bet is nukes.

Indeed.

Oh they do.

Their upgraded T-62s are on par with or better than the T-62M which was an 80s upgrade. And again, they have vehicles with modern ATGMs, modern SPGs, etc. They were more in the late 80s-90s if you compare them to Western tank development.

But, comparing years isn’t really effective. The fact is they have equipment from the 80s-2000s, they have upgraded vehicles, they aren’t a 60s army comprised of vehicles at the same level as the T-62, Leopard 1, Centurions, etc.

1 Like

No offense, but it seems to be that neither parties involved really did keep such things in mind and did stick to the bigger numbers.
I view both of you as the “they” category you mention.

I mean this with no malice, but I think it’s a conversation that lacks a lot of context where neither side seems to get anywhere, hence why I voiced my own input.

And yes, if any of you knows the conversations I take part in on these forums, I understand the irony of such statements and I recognize that I am for from innocent in this regard.

2 Likes

It’s good to have your input, ofc I’m a little biased towards wanting the suggestions, so it’s nice to have a more objective third party involved in the conversation :)

2 Likes

My own country was a communist party led soviet puppet state for 40 years. How our industry looked back then is integral part of our history books.

Im just applying that info on North Korea and its worse situation.

No need to explain it, this isnt an echo chamber like reddit and more opinions are always welcome.

1 Like

Honestly more like late-ish Leo 1 and Late-ish M60.

M2020, very akin to early M1 Abrams. With an M2 Bradley ATGM launcher stuck to it.

And by the 80s the most upgraded of T-62 were still way short of the early T-64 and T-72.

And noone claimed they were, but id be lying if i wouldn’t consider a late Leo 1 or Centurion over the Chonma-ho 215/216.

While there are many things we would likely both likely be able to say about the topic, I don’t quite intend to get into it here.

In any case, I think that North Korean capabilities are being underappreciated and dismissed without much proof to prove their stuff being fake. Sure, there’s not so much to prove legitimacy either, but for the vast majority of their military equipment I quite believe it to be legitimate hardware, even things such as M2020.

Regardless of DPRK economic output, I still believe their military industrial complex to be an improving one. Hell, even Serbia is managing to produce things one wouldn’t expect them to considering their population and economy, I wouldn’t put it past DPRK to be able to produce much heavier hardware.
This is of course helped by the fact that many of these new generation vehicles that were shown off seem to be based on older platforms. I do believe they are more than capable of producing new platforms too though.
This is also helped by potential (and very likely) foreign help. Russia was mentioned earlier, but we really don’t have much evidence to support this idea. Much the same case for China.
There is practically no doubt of foreign assistance, but until anything is 100% confirmed I don’t like to make such proclamations.

3 Likes

I would give +1 because the suggestion is well-made, but we know almost nothing about it, not even its name (same goes for a lot of NK suggestions unfortunately).

5 Likes

There’s no way to verify these penetration statistics unless you are Kim Jong-un’s brother or something

1 Like

What penetration statistics?

These are all Chinese rounds already in game. I’m assuming that North Korea has received export APFSDS rounds from them.

1 Like

imo highly likely is not good enough. Might as well give them ANY 125mm round from Russia, USSR, China, or Iran

Would’a been a good event vehicle.
Oh?
Too soon?

1 Like