Can we stop arguing over whether a particular vehicle is too strong or too weak?

You’re arguing against something I didn’t say. I’m not asking WT to simulate every part of real warfare. I’m asking for the vehicles themselves to be modelled as accurately as possible.

Arcade gameplay and accurate vehicle characteristics can exist together. Having capture points and respawns doesn’t mean a tank’s armour, reload time or mobility should be changed just for balance.

And “why is it so unrealistic then?” is exactly why I’m asking for improvements. Calling it a game doesn’t answer whether a particular vehicle is modelled correctly.

If accurate modelling makes a vehicle too strong at its current BR, adjust the BR. That’s my point.

Yeah, that’s the point I’m trying to make. I don’t play air much, so I can’t comment on BOL specifically. But I agree with the principle: get the system working correctly first, then balance the vehicles around it.

Sure, but realism is what got me interested in the game in the first place. Making money and getting the vehicles right shouldn’t be mutually exclusive.

I’m not asking for a full simulator. I just want the vehicles to be as accurate as possible. Why should I have to play another game to ask for that?

I agree the game needs balance. We disagree on how to achieve it.

Why are artificial nerfs fine, but artificial buffs aren’t? Both move a vehicle away from its real capabilities.

I’d rather have vehicle characteristics based on the available evidence, then use BR and matchmaking to balance them. BR isn’t a perfect solution, but “the game needs balance” shouldn’t be a blanket excuse for inaccurate modelling.

And if a bug report is valid, the vehicle being strong or weak shouldn’t change whether it’s valid.

That quoted statement is exactly what I’m asking for: balance changes that don’t contradict realism.

A well-supported bug report should be judged by the evidence, whether fixing it makes a vehicle stronger or weaker. Then adjust the BR if needed. I don’t expect every report to be fixed overnight, but the standard should be consistent.

Fair point about meta-chasers. Me getting bored of one vehicle doesn’t mean everyone else will. I shouldn’t have generalised there.

But I explicitly said in point 1 that stronger vehicles can have their BR raised. I’m not against BR changes. If that’s what people are asking for, we agree.

My concern is changing vehicle characteristics away from what the evidence supports just to balance them. Discussing whether a vehicle is too strong at its current BR is perfectly reasonable. I worded the opening too broadly.

Fair enough. Being able to switch vehicles doesn’t solve an unfair matchup. I overstated that part.

Your last point is something I agree with. Accurate vehicles and fair matches should go together. I’d rather keep the vehicle’s characteristics as close to the evidence as possible and improve its BR placement than change those characteristics just for balance.

And yeah, let’s hope some competition gives Gaijin more reason to improve things.

1 Like

Sure, I want it to be enjoyable too. That’s why I suggested adjusting BR. My point is to keep the vehicles accurate while giving them fair matchups.

the game wont ever be perfectly balanced and there will forever be meta chasers trust me there. I used to play high level MK8 Deluxe and SSBU several years ago i know how awful broken metas can be for a games health.

we can hope…

If some people enjoy playing strong vehicles and never get bored of them, fine. Raise their BR so they face other similarly strong vehicles. That makes the matchups fair, doesn’t it?

1 Like

I wish i didnt know about all the fake rafale buffs that made that possible so i could live in ignorance to such an extreme level of BS you can die to…

I think ill cancel my plans to spade the 14.0 and 14.3 hornets with that being a possibility

I think the real reason is that people asking for a strong vehicle to be nerfed don’t own it. If they did, they wouldn’t want it nerfed. And people asking for buffs do so because it’s the only vehicle they have, so they don’t have much choice.

Imagine you owned all of them. You wouldn’t care as much. If you think one is strong, just play it more. If you think another is weak, play it less.

Gaijin even published a fairly detailed research post explaining whether the M1’s lower front plate armour should be increased. To me, that shows they care more about accurately modelling vehicles than just changing their stats for balance. Balance should be handled through BR, not by altering vehicle characteristics.

That’s easy to solve. I’d just use that vehicle too.

It’s simple. If you think a vehicle is too strong, why not play it yourself? If you think it’s too weak, don’t play it, or just play it less.

I mean, what even are the vehicles that broke this so called realism for balance?

image
To name one of them

What’s the thing with it?

Hmm, was the single best top tier plane for a year
Had overperforming flight performance, first Fox-3 with no launch limits, only Fox-3 with unique seeker that isn’t a phoenix or fakour, HMD that France doesn’t use on it, extra MICAs, maybe some countermeasure stuff too.