Camouflage Netting for Tanks

In War Thunder, bushes and camouflage paints have been available for some time now to customize and camouflage your vehicles - a few premium vehicles even include camouflage nets in the model.

I don’t think camouflage is overly useful at higher ratings (after the widespread use of thermal optics), but even there and at lower BR especially, camouflage nets would be great.
I envision this primarily as another modification line.

1. camouflage netting for gun barrels
  2. camouflage net for turret
  3. camouflage net for hull

In the case of anti-aircraft vehicles, it would also be nice to have the option of “stationing” your vehicle and throwing a camouflage net over it so that it has maximum camouflage, especially against airplanes.

Something like in this loading screen:
1920x1080_sons_of_attila_chaparral_logo_eng_d6b3c4ed5e028372129f51e694207ec9_999x562_daff32813b76d1fae93c830d62c77d4e

The other option would be to insert the camouflage nets as 3D decoration, which I imagine would be more complicated and far less practical.

What do you think?

3 Likes

I wish the bushes/trees we can stick on our tanks for GE were more realistic looking like the barrel camos you see on tanks like the PzBtl123. So they are more cosmetic whilst giving you some camouflage, without having a whole bush magically glued to the front of your tank.

1 Like

The problem is that the code for such dynamic objects would be… a PITA, and bug prone. Even if its fixed like the netted up Leo 2Asumthing it will introduce a new group of ways the render could misbehave. Look at how the relatively simple static bush object can have weird behavior.
Either way it would be a lot of expense and even more demand on client GPUs.
Which probably means it will be in the next patch.

Hmm, I initially thought of the camouflage nets as “rigid” elements - rather functional.
Dynamic properties, like with the bushes ^^, could come later.

That would be my idea for the practical application, to assign the camouflage nets to individual camouflage coats as well:

Without anything - at the right side, above the decals there are 3 fields where you can activate the Camouflage:

With Gun-Camouflage:

With Gun- & Turret-Camouflage

With Gun-, Turret- & Hull-Camouflage

I think it would be nice to just see your tanks in the camo netting. Kind of like how war thunder live camos are just available to you. This would give the premium tanks with the nets an “advantage” because others can see them. I love the look of tanks with these nets but understand why gaijin might be hesitant to add them. People on War Thunder Live have made some camo nets but they are just limited to looking like a sticker. I would love to see this added in game maybe under the “fictional” camouflage tab.

Why do you write that like its a good thing?

Netting isn’t just camo coloration like skins, but changes and disrupts the outline of the vehicle making it harder to identify at range. They are 3D decorators not skins or stickers.

I dont mean to write it as a “good” thing. In my mind I can see that many people are buying these vehicles because of the camo netting. What im trying to get across is that maybe the premium tanks with these nets will always be visible while if you were to apply one to your tank it would either be only visible to you or maybe if you have the “disable Fictional camouflage” off. this would make it so that if people didnt want to see your camo net they dont have to but you will always be able to see them unless your a premium where having the fictional camouflage on you will still see their nets.

There are YTs of people testing to see if the camo netting on the Leo makes any difference and it doesn’t. What it does is hide weakspots. OTOH- camo netting isn’t fictional. And some (me) like seeing some of the silly camos and decorators.
It can’t be any worse than the bushes that are already in the game.

+1. Ive been wanting the camo net since the first tank with one came to the game. They are more realistic than the bushes we already have. Theyre glued together and make a rigid piece of a werid bush and for me theyre not realistic/nice. And it can be insteresting if they add the anti thermal camos like the barracuda. Even if dont have impact on the gameplay (spoiler: it have. more or les but it have)

I envision this primarily as another modification line.

1. camouflage netting for gun barrels
  2. camouflage net for turret
  3. camouflage net for hull

Haha Good joke. It will be:

1. 500 GE for Gun Barrel
  2. 500 GE for Turret Front
  3. 500 GE for Turret Sides
  4. 500 GE for Turret Top&Back
  5. 1000 GE for Hull Front
  6. 1000 GE for Hull Sides
  7. 2000 GE for Hull Top and Back
  8. Thermal Camo from Boxes that cost 500GE with 1% Drop chance

And with that you will only have the Camo for 1 Vehicle and one Kind of Environment (Woodlands/Gras/Desert etc)

Thats how the Snail works!

1 Like

I would like to see camo nets as well. The bushes just don’t do anything for me personally so I would definitely prefer the nets.

Honestly the bushes we have are pretty close to the bushes and trees we see in the map environment. The problem is anyone who uses bushes has no concept of HOW to use the bushes effectively, so when you see some Panther covered in palm leaves in snowy stalingrad factory, its gonna looks unrealistic and stupid.

I have about 2/3s of the bushes unlocked and only use one type of bush for each camo e.g. palm leaves for desert maps, like second battle of El Alamein. They blend better into the environment and don’t look so out of place