CA1 PRTL - The Dutch sister to the Gepard

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Where would you like to see this vehicle?
  • (independent) BeNeLux tree
  • France: BeNeLux subtree
  • Germany
  • Dutch (sub) tree
  • other
  • I voted ‘no’ in the previous poll
0 voters

Hello all, this is one of the most iconic Dutch armoured vehicles of the 70s, 80s and 90s. Have a read about this parallel produced Dutch variant of the Gepard family. Intended for SHORAD.

TL;DR: The first series-produced Dutch variant of the FlakPz Gepard

20180328200405-cb12cb63-me

History

History

Development

The origin of the PRTL (Panster Rups Tegen Luchtdoelen aka Armoured Tracked Against Air-Targets) lies in Germany, where, in 1965, the demand arose for a self-propelled anti-aircraft gun, based on the Leopard-1 tank. This was to be a radar-guided system, with 30 or 35 mm rapid-fire guns, and suitable for use in all weather conditions. A group of companies, consisting of Oerlikon (weapons and turret), Contraves (computer systems), Siemens (full-degree radar), Hollandse Signaalapparaten (search radar) and KraussMaffei/Porsche (undercarriage), developed a pair of prototypes equipped with two 35 mm guns, which were placed on either side of the tower. This system, designated SPFZ-A, was eventually chosen for further development. After the first two, about five more prototypes were built, with improved radar systems. Four of these were designated SPFZ-B and fitted with a Siemens radar system. These were eventually intended for the German armed forces. The fifth prototype was designated SPFZ-C and had a Dutch (Hollandse Signaalapparaten, now known as Thales) radar system.

On 7 June 1967, the Dutch defence ministry informed the German government that it was interested in participating in the development of an anti-aircraft tank. On 14 August 1967, Hollandse Signaalapparaten in Hengelo submitted a proposal for a separate Dutch radar installation (the afformentioned C variant). In early 1968, the Dutch ordered a prototype, SPFZ-C, the gun system to be equipped with it from Oerlikon-Contraves. On 18 March 1968, it emerged that this Dutch devellopment required a modified turret shape.

Testing

In the years 1970-1971, the Dutch Royal Army, in cooperation with the Bundesambt für Wehrtechnik und Beschaffung (the German equipment testing department) had extensive, comparative tests conducted between the SPFZ-B and the SPFZ-C. These tests resulted in a strong preference on the Dutch Royal Army side for the SPFZ-C, the prototype with the Dutch radar.

Orders

On 28 March 1969, the German defence ministry ordered a 0-series Leopard 1 prototype, J-O-16, for conversion. This was delivered to Oerlikon on 11 March 1970. The type was developed separately on behalf of the Netherlands as the C prototype PT 357, which was completed in spring 1971. That same year, a CA pre-series of five was ordered after the tests mentioned before (CA-3513-3517); this was followed on 10 April 1972 by a request for a bid for a main order in a quantity of 95. On 28 June 1972, Krauss-Maffei and Oerlikon jointly made the offer. However, negotiations broke down.

On 17 April 1973, Oerlikon withdrew and the next day Krauss-Maffei alone made a new offer, which was accepted by the Dutch government on the 26th of April. This was even before the German contract was signed, making the Netherlands the first buyer of the joint project.
On 24 January, the supply agreement was signed for the first two construction series, the CA1 and CA2, together 60 vehicles with the later 35 CA3 production batch approved on the 11th of November 1974.

Coclusion of orders

In 1973, the German government ordered a pre-series of 12 units. To these pre-series models
some more details were changed, after which the final order for 420 systems followed.
From then on, the system was also named ‘Gepard’. The Gepards were delivered to the German armed forces between 1976 and 1980 to the German armed forces. Belgium also ordered Gepards; between 1977 and 1980, Belgium received 55 systems. Meanwhile, in 1971, the Dutch government had already ordered a pre-series of five systems, which were designated CA. Apart from the radar installation, they differed from the German pre-series models only for some major parts like the radar search and track system. In 1973 the final order was signed for a total of 95 systems (designation CA1), which in the Netherlands were given the name “Pantser Rups Tegen Luchtdoelen” aka Armoured Tracked Against Air-Targets, which in common parlance soon led to the designation `Pruttel’. The PRTLs were delivered between 1977 and 1979.

Differences between the Gepard B2 and the PRTL CA1

Differences

The main differences between the Gepard and the PRTL are the search radar, the tower rear, the
Track radar at the front of the tower and the smoke canister launchers on the left and right of the front of the tower. The search radar of the Gepard is equipped with a satellite dish, which, when in use, is vertically raised at the back of the tower. When not in use, the radar is folded away and the dish lies behind the tower. The radar equipment can be accessed through the hinged rear wall of the tower, which also houses some of the equipment. The radar antenna is attached to this back-wall and thus moves with it when the back wall is opened.

The PRTL has a rod-shaped search radar attached to the tower on an articulated arm. When the radar is not in use, the arm is sunk into the tower with the antenna behind the hinged back wall instead. This back wall has a different shape to that of the Gepard and a number of components are also placed differently or have a different shape.

The antenna of the Gepard Tracking radar has a semi-circular shape, while that of the PRTL has a cone shape. The shape of the housing is also slightly different. On the PRTL, in addition to the tracking radar on the tower there are vertical strips to protect the antenna. The smoke canister launcher of the Gepard consists of two holders of four smoke canisters each, which are attached to the left and right of the tower. The PRTL has two holders of six smoke canisters. The Gepard is normally not fitted with side plating, but the PRTL is. For logistical reasons, the PRTL got tracks with a V-shaped profile, this is the same track-profile as already in use with the Dutch Armed Forces. The Gepard has tracks with a double row of rectangular rubber blocks.

20201214173146-06c869d1-me
PRTL GWI (a Mid-Life Upgrade of the CA1) on the foreground, Gepard B2 in the background.

Specifications

Length: 8,15 m
Width: 3,39 m
Height: 2,93 m with radar down; 4,03 m with radar deployed

Weight: 47 tons
Engine: 10 cilinder Diesel (860 pk or 640 KW) 37,4 liter MTU (Motoren und Turbinen Union)
Speed (on road): 80 km/h (officially 65 km/h)
Range: 550 km

Crew: 3 (commander, driver, gunner)

Armour:

Front Sides Rear Roof
70 mm at 60° 30 mm at 0° 20 mm 25 mm
Armament 2x35mm Oerlikon autocannons
Munition types HEI-(T)[3500m (self-destruct)], SAPHEI-(T) [3500m (self-destruct)], APDS-T [3500 m]
Ammunition 640 rounds in turret, 20 rounds APDS Ammunition external extra each per gun (680 total)
Fire Rate 1100 rpm (combined)
Elevation & Traverse Powered & manual
Smoke system 6x2 74mm smoke grenade discharges
Fire suppression Automatic
Night Vision Yes
Fire Control modes (1) Search&Track radar, (2 & 3)Periscope C & G: Passive Optical tracking: 1.5× with a FOV of 50° and 6× magnification with a, narrow, 12.5° FOV. The sights can be guided by both the Search & Trackradar, (4) Observation through the hatch
Optical tracking Optical periscope tracking system & the optical target indicator

Radar systems

Search Radar / IFF antenna

• 15 km range
  • 60 rpm
  • X band (7 to 11.7 gigahertz)
  • IFF Mk. X & Mk. XII with SIF
  • MTI
    This radar would be capable of even detecting small drones at over 10 km of range, with minimal clutter effect because of its MTI improvement factor.

Track Radar

• 13 km range
  • X (7 to 11.7 gigahertz) and Ka Band (26.5 to 40 gigahertz) [NATO K class]
  • IFF/SIF

Both of these radar systems would recieve upgrades, like GPS and Datalink, with the later Mid-Life Upgrade GWI PRTL variant, which would be called the PRTL ‘Cheetah’ (GWI).

View of the radar operator/gunner

View of the gradar operator/gunner looking down into the turret:
20180328200411-faf52543-me

Place in War Thunder

This radar-based Anti-air would serve any tech tree as a good primary or secondairy gun-based air-defence.

Regarding nations

Germany

This Dutch parallel development of the PRTL was in cooperation with various European companies and the German government. The many differences logistic-wise between the PRTL (SPFZ-C) and the Gepard (SPFZ-B) versions would actively hinder any possible future cooperations between the Netherlands and Germany for support and training in both directions, thus both nations chose to keep their SPFZ brigades independent.

BeNeLux

As the BeNeLux subtree for France has been announced in the update seek & destroy France has the highest chance of recieving dutch equipment, however an independent BeNeLux would also be very possible by the large amount of ground-, air- and naval vehicles that have been part of these nations. The three BeNeLux nations (Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourgh) share a long history of economic cooperation through their union. However, this cooperation has not been limited to just matters of justice, economy or education. Policing and defence are also integrated for certain parts of these nations’ armed forces. Militairy donations to other nations go through the BeNeLux diplomatic channels regularly. For further info please go to: BeNeLux (Belgium, Netherlands & Luxembourg) Ground Forces.
The PRTL would be the token gun-based Short range Anti-air of any BeNeLux or Dutch tech tree.

Pictures

On the field

20201214173135-9900398e-me
20201214173146-06c869d1-me
20180328200406-e078e957-me
20180328200406-850681c8-me
20180328200411-14e81777-me
20201214173145-0dc12442-me
20180328200410-a7f8aa00-me

Sources

Sources
2 Likes

the Pruttel or smth idk

+1 for me since it’s pretty iconic SPAA vehicle for the Dutch. Though I’m not exactly sure how this would fit into the French tree.

If they were to only give the ammunition it had at the start it could come at 8.3, thus giving a lower BR anti air for the french tech tree and the Benelux subtree.

The original munition of the CA1:

HEI-(T)[3500m (self-destruct)]
SAPHEI-(T) [3500m (self-destruct)]
APDS-T [3500 m]

FAPDS [4800m] and APFSDS-T [4000m] could be used on the early CA1 variant, but IRL this would really destroy their barrels after a couple volleys, which is why my PRTL GWI post is the next option, so a 8.3 and a 8.7 / 9.0 anti air pair could be possible, and neatly fit into the french tech tree (as a Dutch SPAA 📁 folder).

2 Likes