BWP-95

Would you like to see this vehicle in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Should it be a Tech Tree/Premium/Event/Squadron vehicle?
  • Tech Tree
  • Premium
  • Event
  • Squadron vehicle
  • I said no
0 voters
Battle Rating?
  • I said no
0 voters
Where should it be?
  • Future Polish Tech Tree
  • Russian Tech Tree (specify why)
  • Other
  • I said no
0 voters

• General Information
    Back in the 1980’s, it was already understood that the BWP-1 was not sufficiently powerful, so as part of the planned technical modernization, two battalions of new BMP-2’s, designated BWP-2 in the Polish People’s Army, were purchased. The lack of a license for their production and economic problems meant that no more of them were bought, and they were withdrawn from service after 8 years and then sold. This left the newly established Republic of Poland with a thousand of BWP-1’s that were becoming obsolete by the 1990’s standards. As early as 1992, just four years after the end of BWP-1 deliveries, General Staff of the Polish Army has prepared a plan for their comprehensive modernization. It assumed the replacement of key vehicle systems. It was to be armed with a new type of cannon and anti-tank guided missiles. It was envisaged with installation of improved sights and observation instruments, more efficient means of communication, more modern propulsion and stronger armor. At that time, all of their users, including the Russians, underwent modernization of a similar scope.Two production plants responded to the Polish Armed Forces needs – Huta Stalowa Wola (HSW) with consortium members, and Ośrodek Badawczo-Rozwojowy Urządzeń Mechanicznych sp. z o.o. (OBRUM). However, their visions of the new infantry vehicle were
    very different. HSW, in cooperation with Ośrodek Badawczo-Rozwojowy Maszyn Ziemnych i Transportowych and Ośrodek Badawczo-Rozwojowy Sprzętu Mechanicznego, proposed a thorough modernization of BWP-1, which was consistent with the General Staff’s vision. The prototype, codenamed BWP-95, was presented to the army in 1995. Sadly, the vehicle did not capture army’s interest, similarly to it’s later versions with imported turrets.

• Armament + Equipment
    Main: 73mm SPG-9 recoilless gun and 23mm 2A14 autocannon
    Secondary: 7.62mm PKT machinegun

• domestically designed turret by OBR
    • PCO SSC-1 OBRA protection and laser warning system
    • POD-72 Liswarta commander’s passive observation device
    • PNK-72 Radomka driver’s passive observation device
    • Deugra fire protection and explosion protection system
    • new upper gear covers to further increase the vehicle’s buoyancy on the water
    • CERAWA-1 composite-reactive armor which is able to stop 23mm ammunition (72 panels adding 900kg) (it was only used on this vehicle)
  • Specifications

Crew: 3(commander, gunner, driver) + 7 soldiers in the back
    Engine: UTD-20 with 300HP at 2600RPM
    Transmission: mechanical
    Mass: 14 600kg (14,6 tonnes)
    Length: 6735 mm
    Width: 2940 mm
    Ground clearance: 390 mm
    Max Speed: 65 km/h (7 km/h in water)
    Range: 500 km

• Sources

1. Jane’s Armour and Artillery Upgrades 2003-2004
    2. Bojowy Wóz Piechoty Borsuk | Nowa Strategia
    3. SZTAFETA Nr 37 14 września 1995r. (page 22)
    4. Ścieżki do Borsuka: Polskie modernizacje BWP [ANALIZA] | Defence24
    5. Żądło: Polskie pancerze specjalne, cz. III - CERAWA-1 (2s14.blogspot.com)
    6. Polskie projekty modernizacji bojowego wozu piechoty BWP-1 (BMP-1) | (archive.org)
  • Pictures

Spoiler

7 Likes

+1 for a future Polish tree/alliance tree with Poland

3 Likes

Perhaps one of the most interesting IFV projects of the Cold War. +1 no matter how.

1 Like

Probably future Polish Sub-tree, though not sure what nation it should go to

1 Like

polish sub tree in germany

Belong in russian tree with other russian vehicles. Would make a for a great event or squadron addition if not TT

+1 for Polish tree

2 Likes

Polish modification designed by Polish engineers for Poland.
This isn’t “Russian” in any way. BMP-1 that it is based on isn’t even Russian in the first place, it’s Soviet.

7 Likes

We have Soviet tree in War Thunder. Not Russian tree. Although there are no modern vehicles that are not Russian in the Soviet tree, they can be added. Although Poland was not in USSR, addition to the Soviet tree still is logical, as the vehicle was based on a Soviet one. The vehicle was made by a country in the Warsaw Pact, which USSR and Polish Peoples’ Republic were part of. So it is logical for the vehicle to be added into the Soviet tree, as an event or squad vehicle.

I find it more logical as part of an independent Polish tree.
Poland is one of the few countries not yet largely represented in game that would have access to a large pool of unique aircraft while also having a solid ground tree. They would also have a limited naval tree and would be one of few countries at all to have made domestic military helicopters.

To relegate their vehicles to an already huge tree that doesn’t require foreign help would be an utter waste of this all.

3 Likes

In my opinion, a Polish tree would not be unique enough to be a priority to add to the game. The amount of unique vehicles is relatively low compared to other possible additions to the game, such as a Korean tree.

1 Like

A very untrue statement if you ask me, especially when looking at the aviation side of things…

2 Likes

I somewhat agree with this Poland doesn’t have that many vehicles to make a tree.

Maybe a Czecho-Polish combo tree would be the best option.

It woukd be unfair to call Poland 100% Copy and paste like Korea

2 Likes

Poland has more than enough vehicles to justify it’s own tree. I spent a good chunk of my time researching and there is quite a number of vehicles that Poland made which are obscure just like this one.

3 Likes