BRM-3K: Steppe Lynx

BRM-3K

Please, any suggestion or sources, let me know, thank you.

Would you like to see BRM-3K in-game?
  • Yes, I want to see BRM-3K in-game.
  • No, I don’t want to see BRM-3K in-game.
0 voters

The BRM-3K “Rys” CRV is a combat reconnaissance vehicle,

And despite the similar chassis, it is a spiritual and apparent precursor to the 2S38 “Derivatsiya” PVO. In this case, the “Rys,” also known as Lynx, is an infantry fighting vehicle,

Unlike the “Derivatsiya”, which is a self-propelled anti-aircraft and does not function as an infantry fighting and transport vehicle.

Misc.

Why it should be added?

There aren’t many reasons to add the vehicle to the game; that is, there aren’t very complex reasons that warrant a lengthy discussion.

I’ve been playing with the Soviet/Russian Tech Tree for years as my main, but I don’t limit myself to vehicles from a single nation. But, the reason is the ability to give a better chance to players who can’t spend money to get the 2S38. Costing the equivalent of a package in the store, I tend to support it being included as an event vehicle, probably for the year 2026. This would help diversify the rotation of nations receiving event vehicles, as is the case with the Soviet/Russian and Chinese that featured by now.

In summary, the intention is for the vehicle to be an event, thus contributing to the number of players using it and increasing those who aspire to an IFV with an automatic cannon, similar to the “Derivatsiya”.

How would perform in-game?

In the game, the “Rys” would function like any other automatic cannon-equipped Infantry Fighting Vehicle (IFV), equipped with a versatile chassis similar to that of the BMP-3, capable of quickly reaching optimal positions. Its modern transmission would also allow for a swift retreat from the enemy field.

Similar to the “Derivatsiya,” it is equipped with a 57mm BM-57 in the AU-220M Bajkal firing system. However, unlike the “Derivatsiya,” the “Rys” only fires APHE-T and HE-T ammunition, while its counterpart has a broader range of ammunition types.

The introduction of reusing the BMP-3 chassis in an AU-220M Bajkal firing system becomes interesting, as it could be another addition to the arsenal of high-caliber automatic cannon-equipped vehicles in the Soviet/Russian Tech Tree, which is lacking compared to other nations, such as Sweden, which holds the majority of vehicles with this characteristic.

Details

History

The origin of the BMP-3 dates back to the late 1970s as part of the Soviet effort to develop a more advanced infantry fighting vehicle. After a series of tests, the BMP-3 was officially adopted by the Soviet Armed Forces in 1987 and has since played a significant role in various global conflicts.

During the Gulf War in 1991, Iraq operated the BMP-3, marking one of its early appearances in real conflicts. Subsequently, the BMP-3 was involved in conflicts like the Russo-Georgian War of 2008 and the Russo-Ukrainian conflict that began in 2014. In addition to former Soviet Union countries, the BMP-3 has been exported to various nations, including the Middle East and Latin America.

The BRM-3K variant, designed for reconnaissance, complemented BMP-3 operations by providing advanced surveillance and intelligence capabilities. This continued adaptation highlights the relevance of the BMP-3 in global military operations.

Recently, the integration of the AU-220M system has represented a significant modernization in the BMP-3’s armament and combat capabilities. Developed by the Russian company JSC Central Research Institute Burevestnik, the AU-220M is a remotely controlled combat module. Equipped with a 57mm automatic cannon and an advanced fire control system, including electro-optical and thermal sensors, the AU-220M considerably enhances the BMP-3’s effectiveness against a variety of threats, making it more efficient against armored vehicles and low-altitude aerial targets.

The remote control capability of the AU-220M also provides increased safety for the crew, allowing the system to be operated from a more secure position within the vehicle. This adaptation illustrates the ongoing pursuit of updates to maintain the relevance and effectiveness of combat vehicles in constantly evolving operational environments.

Specifications

Vehicle:

Dimensions
  • Length: 7.0 m (22.9 ft)
  • Width: 3.15 m (10.33 ft)
  • Height: 2.37 m (7.77 ft)
  • Weight: 18.7 t (41226,44 lb)
Protection
  • Material: Alloy ABT-102 (All-round arc)
  • Frontal arc: ~Level 5 acc. to STANAG 4569
  • All-round arc: ~Level 3 acc. to STANAG 4569
  • Dimensions (fsrt): 60 mm, 43 mm, 43 mm, 18 mm
Mobility
  • Model: UTD-29M (diesel engine)
  • Weight: 910kg (2006,21 lb)
  • Max HP: 500 hp (375kW)
  • RPM: 2600 rpm (27,03 p/w)
  • Consumption: 10 km/l (23,59 mpg)
  • Operational range: ~600 km (~372.82 mi)
  • Max. speed: 72 km/h (foward) (45 mph), 45 km/h (backwards) (28 mph), 10 km/h (floating) (6,8 mph)
  • Dimensions (lwh): 0,997 m x 1,228 m x 0,598 m (3,274 ft x 4,029 ft x 1,962 ft)

Weaponry:

Offensive armament

Main caliber
  • Model: BM-57
  • Caliber: 57 mm
  • Dimensions (lwh): 5,820 mm x 2,100 mm x 1,300 mm
  • Elevation/depression (degree): +75/-5
  • Rounds per minute: 120 rds/min
  • Muzzle velocity: 1000 m/s
  • Ammunition count: 200 rounds
  • Ammunition options: 53-UBR-281U (APHE-T), 53-ERM-281U (HE-T)
Auxiliary caliber
  • Model: PKTM
  • Caliber: 7,62 mm
  • Dimensions (lwh): 1,098 mm х 0,195 mm х 0,170 mm
  • Rounds per minute: 700/800 rds/min
  • Muzzle velocity: 850 m/s
  • Ammunition count: 2000 rounds
  • Ammunition belt: 200 rounds

‎‎

Ammunition details

53-UBR-281U (APHE-T)
  • 57x348SR
  • Type: Armour Piercing with High Explosive filler, Tracing (APHE-T)
  • Mass: 2,820 g (2,82 kg / 6,22 lb)
  • Muzzle velocity: 1000 m/s (3,281 ft/s)
  • Explosive: A-IX-2 (13 g)
  • TNT Equivalent: 20.02 g
53-ERM-281U (HE-T)
  • 57x348SR
  • Type: High Explosive, Tracing (HE-T)
  • Mass: 2,820 g (2,82 kg / 6,22 lb)
  • Muzzle velocity: 1000 m/s (3,281 ft/s)
  • Explosive: A-IX-2 (153 g)
  • TNT Equivalent: 235,06 g

Others:

Fire control system
  • Model: INA
  • Stabilization: Two-planes stabilization
  • Laser rangefinder: Yes
  • Sight model: BPK2-42
  • Thermal sight: 2nd Gen SAT
Radar system

Sources

Primary sources:

(Misc. info) БРМ-3К Рысь | MilitaryRussia.Ru — отечественная военная техника (после 1945г.)
(Misc. info) http://computerland-spb.ru/images/pdf_uvz/BRM-3K_spreads.pdf
(Ammunition APHE-T) https://www.bulletpicker.com/pdf/ID-Guide-Iraq.pdf#page=206
(Ammunition HE-T) https://www.bulletpicker.com/pdf/ID-Guide-Afghanistan-Vol-1.pdf#page=408
(Engine model) Diesel engines

Secondary sources:

(General vehicle info) ODIN - OE Data Integration Network
(Basic info) BRM-3K Rys Armored Reconnaissance Vehicle | MilitaryToday.com
(Basic info) https://topgun.rin.ru/cgi-bin/units.pl?field=8&unit=2294&lng=eng
(Basic info) BRM-3K Rys | Weaponsystems.net
(Engine model) Army Guide
(Chassis basic info) How was born BMP-3
(Armament basic info) https://defence-blog.com/uralvagonzavod-shows-bmp-3-ifv-57mm-gun/
(Armament basic info) Army Guide
(Aux. armament basic info) https://roe.ru/eng/catalog/land-forces/strelkovoe-oruzhie/machine-guns/pktm/
(Radar basic info) SOV - PSNR-5 (1RL133, kód NATO: Tall Mike) : Reconnaissance, Support and Command Artillery Systems
(Sight model) Army Guide
(Navigation model) Army Guide
(General basic info) https://defence-blog.com/uralvagonzavod-to-unveil-brm-3k-reconnaissance-vehicle-with-57mm-automatic-gun/

Gallery

Assets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkCHLgmK4nM&ab_channel=arronlee33

Please, any suggestion or sources, let me know, thank you.

2 Likes

+1 looks sick

2viv5d

7 Likes

Well… if this 57mm thing called BRM-3K, then what is this thing with 2A72 and ATGM called?

And AFAIK this BRM-3K w/ AU220M dont equip the radar cause it’s on the turret

BRM-3K, 57mm surely is a variation.

Also yes.

No ATGM’s, just the 30mm.

Its the original BRM-3K Rys. The 57mm one is its potential replacement.

2 Likes

Ironic that the IFV would be a better SPAA while the SPAA is a better IFV

So real, I barely see 2S38’s players using it against air targets, even in a few moments in battle.

Is this another kind of 57mm turret?

Also, from this image we could see this 57mm turret thing is not called only BRM-3K (i dont know what these russian text means, but it seems like name of the weapon system w/ BRM-3K)

Do you know what is these things?

Its just one of the earliest versions of the AU-220M turret module, its gone through changes since.

Recon optics.

If you scroll down the comment section, there’s a diagram.

1 Like

I may be wrong but I think this is the earliest turret version, so far that I know the Bajkal WS looks like this:

But this one is also different, so this one is the latest modification:

Forgot to add this.

1 Like