Britain Naval Tree - What’s left to be added for all BRs

I’ve seen it here: ARMOR PROTECTION OF KM BISMARCK by Nathan Okun 9/6/91
and somewhere else too. Obviously a dubious source but the only one I can remember off the top of my head.

If I can find some more sources then i’ll definitely put in a report or suggestion when we get further iterations of British Dreadnoughts.

AFAIK the US Class A had a much thicker, harder face layer than the British Cemented armour. This is supposedly better on thinner plates but did not scale up as well as the British armour (scaling effect’s were higher). That’s why many American Battleships use homogeneous armour where the armour is thicker than 10-inches. Whereas British armour had a thinner surface layer, which was less hard, but the hard layer behind it was thicker. This increased the armour plate’s toughness, and this reduced scaling effects in plates of battleship thickness (10" or more) making the LoS thickness different from its effectiveness. This made it the most effective battleship armour steel of the war followed by German armour.

Well, KGV’s armour design does have its highlights, for example the ultra-wide belt offers excellent protection against diving shells. But her machinery was quite vulnerable as the 14" belt lacking obliquity. According to the trial result of the 15" APC, KGV’s machinery belt can be penetrated by British own 15" gun from 30k yds.

I would say that somekind of modifier to increase the pen would make most sense and would make most sense or maybe even couple it with using USN formula for naval shells.

Honestly I would personaly also like to see different pen tables split between side and deck armor instead of the angles.

the question is if thats more down to the quality of british 15 inch shells. Sadly we dont really have any suitable damage reports since in the battle with bismarck Prince of Wales was not hit in her main armour belt and i could not find anything about duke of york during its fight with Scharnhorst (they probably exist in some archives)

i mean reports like this for HMS Illustrious

British managed to obtain the German 320mm armour plates for Tirpitz after the war and tested them with the 15" gun too and overall they were equally effective as British armour of similar thickness and even better in some categories

3 Likes

From what I’ve seen the armour techniques in Britain and Germany were about on par so that checks out as most of the sources for British BB armour refer to “techniques unseen outside of Britain and Germany at the time”.

So, just like Air and ground then. Where modeling every nation to be identical leaves us gimped

3 Likes
  • BR 5.3

County Class Batch 1: HMS Devonshire/Hampshire/Kent/London. Destroyer
HMS_Devonshire,1962(IWM)
I hope I understood the format for this thread correctly

2 Likes

There is no formatting I think. Its just listing ships that could still be added

2 Likes

Well then pls gib Type 12I for costal (Batch 1, we don’t need Exocets yet). Sea Cat could have been added into the game months ago since it’s way less capable then the Russian aa Missle cruiser or the Douglases SMs

3 Likes

Would be awesome

It has apperantly never been suggested… I will make one tomorrow

BTW to cheer you all up or make your head shake: WOWS just announced a fictional 4th ship of the Yamato class… Which goes toooooo: RUSSIA 😂

3 Likes

Definitely you got the format perfect, and also nice suggestion. Its not a hard and fast rule but it just makes it easier for me copy it in to be honest so thankyou.

1 Like

Warship Number 111 isn’t fictional, she was 30% complete upon cancellation. The WoWS RU devs deciding that the soviets would steal an incomplete hulk (that likely wouldn’t have even been seaworthy) and then give it to the Chinese is, however, the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard from them. RU server only though, lucky for anyone with a low tolerance of malarkey.

God I hope Gaijin hurries up on adding Nagato so I can finally uninstall that dumpster fire and pretend it doesn’t exist.

3 Likes

dont blame you

Ah yes, lets add fictious Aircraft carriers with no counterplay, what could go wrong lmao

On a separate note,

I await guided missile boats. Maybe County with Seacat for UK?

Nah, we need Type 45s. with how nerfed our ships normally are, it might just about be a competitve Br5 ish

2 Likes

Aster 15 missing Pe-8s at 5km range

1 Like

It can even lock onto a Pe-8 that far away?

1 Like

Still pending sadly

2 Likes

Same for my G3 class Battlecruiser suggestion. It would appear naval isn’t top of the list however its somewhat understandable as they’ve just got back from holiday and have been busy with the CR2 devblog (supposedly ‘busy’)

1 Like