Britain Air Tree - What's left to be added for all BRs

Nice list. The Nimrod MR.2 and MRA.4 (as well as a bunch of other Costal Command / Maritime Patrol aircraft) would be good additions.

8 Likes

Depending on how much into test/prototypes we’re going, but for the sake of an addition as a crafting vehicles maybe, BAe P.110.

1 Like

Unfortunately the P.110 would only ever be developed to the mock-up stage so it wouldn’t fit the criteria for additions, the data from P.110 was used in the design of the BAe EAP (which Gaijin has denied) and then went on to secede into the eventual Eurofighter Typhoon.

The exceptions needed to add these aircraft would need to be deep internal decisions and given that Gaijin denied the F-14K ,which was the most reasonable option based on the AJ, because the UK’s lack of a 4th generation fighter is apparently not equivalent to Japan’s lack of a 4th generation aircraft (despite EJ Kai actually being a higher br than anything the UK has but the Harrier). Its highly highly highly unlikely to the point i’d say impossible that Gaijin would make such an exception for the P.110 and not the EAP or F-14K.

1 Like

Good option would be an Omani Strikemaster, they were flown by RAF pilots in combat during the dhafur rebelion

Also what about the two other V bomber? The victor and valiant

2 Likes

Britain NEEDS better Rank VIII planes It is difficult to keep up with the other aircraft in this area, especially in terms of maneuverability

1 Like

Also What about the Hunter T.7 or T.8 or GA.11? The T.8 especially would be an improvement on the F.6, IIRC it could carry AIM-9s in either B,G and L variants
Hawker Hunter T.8: Hunter turns Teacher (ii)
Hawker Hunter T.7: Hunter turns Teacher (i)
Hawker Hunter GA.11: Hunter turns Teacher (iii)

1 Like

Hawk T1 above 10.0 would be kinda painful tbh, maybe it’s missiles should be held. Let the 100 take that spot.

1 Like

I’ll chip in the Shackleton MR.3. Dorsal turret was removed, but two Viper turbojets were installed behind the piston engines, one on each side. These are takeoff boosters, but this is War Thunder, so you’d basically have super WEP in exchange for ditching a turret.

Avro_Shackleton_XF708_left_wing_engines_from_rear_1992

3 Likes

They started that way but were eventually cleared for continuous use.

I was speaking to an ex-Shackleton crew member at a museum (while stood inside a Shackleton). Apparently as the Shackleton’s weight had increased substantially over the years the Viper engines were added so the thing could take-off in a reasonable distance. However they were plumbed into the existing fuel system for the Griffon engines. The Viper engines were not designed to use the same type of fuel as the Griffons and it was feared that using the Vipers for any length of time with this fuel would damage them; hence it was decided to limit their use to the bare minimum needed for take-off.

So while the Vipers had ‘solved’ the weight issue at take-off they were no use while airborne. As a result the crew were forced to run the Griffon engines above 100% throttle for the majority of the flight (Shackleton missions were nearly always flown at very low altitude - and lasted many hours). Predictably this led to a lot of wear on the engines, and as the aircraft aged catastrophic engine failure (as in the engine bursting into flames) became quite common. It had happened to him personally on more than one occasion.

Apparently one day a Shackleton crew were on a long range Maritime Patrol mission when one of the Griffon engines exploded. They carried out the standard emergency procedures (shut down the engine, discharge the fire extinguisher, dump stores, etc.) and headed back to base, being forced to pretty much max out the power on the remaining engines in order to stay airborne with enough fuel to get back home. A short while later the fire warning light for an engine on the other wing came on so they were forced to shut that engine down as well. At this point they were over the ocean, several hours from the nearest airfield, and the aircraft was losing altitude. The pilot decided to fire up the Viper engines because they couldn’t exactly make the situation much worse at this point. To the crews surprise they were actually able to limp it back home on two Griffons and two Vipers.

Following this flight the Viper engines were removed and stripped down by RAF / Rolls-Royce engineers who found no noticeable damage to the engines. As a result the Vipers were cleared for continuous use for up to a few hours per flight. Apparently the reliability issues with the Griffon engines pretty much disappeared overnight once that change came into effect and the engines were no longer being thrashed for most of the flight.

As an added bonus he also showed me a point on the floor of the aircraft. Apparently no crew members were allowed aft of that point during the first 20-40 minutes (I think) of flight or else they would shift the centre of gravity too far back and cause the aircraft to go out of control. That’s how far the Shackleton airframe was being pushed beyond its limits by the time the MR.3 came along.

12 Likes

Wow, thanks for the info. Though I can’t say I would want to be flying one of those things IRL after that story.

2 Likes

Did any of the 3 carry CMs?

Not that I know of, Would most likely be the Same BR as the F.6 or maybe 10.0 cause you trade 3 (4 for the GA.11) ADENS for better AAMs and Ground ordinance

Ah, thank you

1 Like

I dont think anybody has done a suggestion for those yet, on either new or old forums.

you know what ill get onto that then if you want, they shouldn’t be too hard to get one sorted given how prominent their info is

1 Like

Would be cool to see suggested. Its a shame we dont have any of the V-Bombers in game

1 Like

yeah, hopefully with the F-111 in game we might see some more jet bombers

TSR.2 my beloved

8 Likes

I really hope so, that would be really interesting to fly. Especially as it didnt see service, kinda cool to use WT as a simulation for how it might have actually performed in IRL combat

1 Like

I would absolutely love to see the TSR.2 be added. The flight performance should be absolutely incredible.

1 Like