Bell P-63D Kingcobra - Delivering a Bigger Punch

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Bell P-63D Kingcobra

Hello everybody. I’d like to introduce and suggest the Bell P-63D Kingcobra for the US aviation tech tree. The P-63D (Bell Model 41) was a subsequent development of the Kingcobra series, and it was identical to the P-63A-10 but incorporated new changes, such as a new powerful powerplant and a new cannon gun. Only a single P-63D was built, and because of that, I believe this aircraft is a worthy candidate as a premium aircraft.

Key Characteristics

• High-altitude fighter
  • 1,425-hp Allison V-1710-109 with an improved supercharger
  • Rearward-sliding bubble canopy
  • New 37-mm M9E1 high-velocity cannon with 48 rounds
  • Increased wingspan and lack of ventral tail fin

History

The P-63D was built similarly to the P-63-A-10 with a serial number 43-11718 as the first part of Bell’s Kingcobra project in 1944-1945 as an attempt to secure the US Army Air Force contract to continue their development of improved Kingcobra. The P-63D was incorporated with a different engine, wingspan, and canopy. The new Allison V-1710-109 was installed with an improved supercharger, rated at 1,425 horsepower for takeoff. The wingspan was modified and increased by 10 inches. The P-63D did not have a rear ventral tail fin, unlike the P-63Cs. The bubble canopy was installed in the P-63D with two car-like side doors removed, and the air scoop was modified and moved aft. The revised air scoop allowed the canopy to be slid back to open. Perhaps the important change was the installation of a new 37-mm M9E1 cannon in the P-63D.

Only one P-63D was built for the flight trials and flew early in 1945. With the uprated power plant, the P-63D reached a maximum speed of 437 mph at 30,000 feet. This made the P-63D the fastest Kingcobra variant. Although the P-63D had an impressive and valuable performance, it was either subpar or on par with the P-51D Mustang and P-47 Thunderbolt already in service.

The P-63D’s M9E1 cannon was derived from the 37-mm M1A2 flak gun and weighed twice as much as the older 37-mm M4 cannon. It featured a longer barrel, which increased the muzzle velocity by about 50%. The M9E1 had a velocity of 930 meters per second while the M4 was 556 meters per second, both using Armor-Piercing rounds. In air combat, the M9E1 cannon would be more accurate and fast-shooting thanks to its longer barrel with improved muzzle velocity.

Unfortunately, the P-63D was crashed and destroyed in the diving tests, incapacitating the test pilot Robert Borcherdt in the same year. The P-63D only served as a prototype Kingcobra as a baseline for the subsequent production of P-63Es with a ventral fin extension and retained an old car-door canopy. The production of newer Kingcobras was canceled and terminated as World War II wound down. It came too late in the war for a major production order.

Specifications

Bell P-63D Kingcobra

General Characteristics

• Crew: 1 (Pilot)
  • Length: 32 ft 8 in (9.96 m)
  • Height: 11 ft 2 in (3.4 m)
  • Span: 39 ft 2 in (11.9 m)
  • Wing Area: 255 sq ft (23.69 sq m)
  • Propeller Type: 4-bladed constant-speed propeller
  • Powerplant: Allison V-1710-109 liquid-cooled piston engine
    → 1,425 hp (1,048 KW)
  • Empty Weight: 7,076 lb (3,210 kg)
  • Gross Weight: 8,740 lb (3,964 kg)
  • Max. Takeoff Weight: 11,100 lb (4,990 kg)

Performance

• Power-to-Weight Ratio: 0.16 (0.26 kW/kg)
  • Critical Speed: 437 mph @ 30,000 ft (703 km/h @ 9,144 m)
  • Wing Loading: 34.27 lb/sq ft (167.3 kg/sq m)
  • Time to Altitude: 11.2 minutes to 28,000 ft (8,534 m)
  • Service Ceiling: 39,000 ft (11,887 m)
  • Combat Range: 950 miles (1,529 km)
  • Max. Range: 2,000 miles (3,219 km) w/ external ferrying tanks

Armament

• Guns:
    • 1 x 37-mm M9E1 cannon (48 rounds)
    • 4 x .50-cal. M2 Browning machine guns (900 rounds)
  • Bomb:
    • 3 x 500-lb M64 bombs

Images

Conclusion | Why it should be in the game

I made this suggestion to request more World War II-era vehicles for War Thunder. I feel the P-63D was a tremendously unique and improved Kingcobra that featured a powerful engine, a new canopy, and a different cannon with improved velocity. Performance-wise, the P-63D performs better and faster than the previous American Kingcobras, thanks to the uprated power plant with an improved supercharger. Thus, the P-63D would be a good addition as an event, premium, or squadron aircraft that offers an opportunity for dedicated completionists.

See Also

Sources

Thank you for taking the time to read my suggestion! 😃

3 Likes

A +1 from me, would make for a neat premium or even a BP vehicle

I’ve been waiting for this one for a long time. Not the final Kingcobra, but it is the definitive version.

While being a one-off it would be justified to have it as an event/premium/squadron vehicle, given it’s the best P-63 (in both performance and armament) I’d kinda like to stick it in the tech tree. Right before the F-82E, which is currently by itself in USA’s 1st line of Rank IV.