Banded Bombs for the FJ-4B

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

NOTS Banded Bombs for the FJ-4B

A VX-5 FJ-4B with banded bombs at the Naval Avionics Facility

TL;DR:
3 bombs banded together to fit in one pylon, allows the FJ-4Bs to have up to 18 250lb or ~9 500lb bombs

History:
In 1959, Air Development Squadron 5 (VX-5) and the Naval Ordnance Test Station at China Lake started work on enhancing the bomb delivery capability of the A-4B and FJ-4B. The FJ-4B unfortunately lacked the wing clearance to use the multiple bomb rack system that was developed for the A-4B. The solution came when the Test Station suggested that they simply band bombs together for the FJ-4B. The banded bombs were simple, 3 Mk.80-series bombs strapped together with 2 steel straps that would come apart after release, which allowed an FJ-4B to carry 12 bombs on its 4 outer pylons. Testing showed the system to be successful, and in one test, the spread of bombs created a 1400 square feet isosceles triangle. The system was also tested on the A-4B, but the successful development of the multiple bomb rack made any further use obsolete. Ultimately, the FJ-4B would never see combat, and the banded bomb idea would be dropped, and a few years later be replaced by the universal bomb rack, designed for planes that couldn’t carry the multiple bomb rack.

In War Thunder:
It would allow the FJ-4B to have some more powerful ordnance options, especially on the pylons that can’t carry the 2000lb bomb. Would be great for base bombing and maybe CAS. Yes.

“Specifications:”
1x3 250lb Mk.81 or 500lb Mk.82 general purpose bombs, banded together with steel straps.

Also tested with 1x6 25lb Mk.76 dummy bombs

Vehicles:
FJ-4B
FJ-4B (VMF-232) - (technically not as it never reached operational use)
A-4B - (already has bomb racks)
F-100D - (already has bomb racks)

Sources:
Lawson, C. (2017). Back to Basics. In The Station Comes of Age: Satellites, Submarines, and Special Operations in the Final Years of the Naval Ordnance Test Station, 1959-1967 (pp. 162-164). NAWCWD.
Fitch, W. H. (2008). Oral History of Lieutenant General William H. Fitch [Speech transcript] (pp. 140-141, 149, 155, 174). https://www.usmcu.edu/Portals/218/LtGen%20William%20H_%20Fitch.pdf
VX-5 Develops Multiple Bomb Rack to Increase Jet Aircraft Firepower. (1961, March 31). The Rocketeer , 4.
VX-5 FJ-4B Fury BuNo 143494 | VX-5 Vampires FJ-4B Fury BuNo … | Flickr
1958 China Lake Photo Gallery

Yep. not much else to it. Can’t believe I made a non-naval suggestion.

6 Likes

Its such a cope idea, and I love it

1 Like

Very goofy, +1

Ok, so get this. A few days after I originally made this, I looked for some more info on this project, and found out 2 years later, they literally just made a normal bomb rack for the FJ-4B. Omegabruh.
I have no info on it other than this NOTS newspaper article cause the guy who did the interview for the bomb bands already left VX-5 by this point

5 Likes

would be nice too these and all other types of clustered munitions, i know there were more nations that used bomb that are bonded together

more armament variants for vehicles is never a bad thing, i mean we have a toilet bomb in the US tech tree this can be added too

Its awesome
+

Except for the fact they stated the smallest bomb they’ll add to aircraft now a days is 50kg.

Hell yea. The F4J is by far one of the most irrelevant attackers. Just the funny factor would make this an actually interesting vehicle

1 Like

Is that a bug report? F4J late vehicle?

Would be another suggestion, a bomb rack that was tested on the FJ-4B. I think it might actually be the predecessor to the Triple Ejector Rack that the F-100D has. But I have no idea really.

2 Likes