BAe Sea Harrier - Technical data and discussion

No, it is a proposal from BAe for a Sea Harrier FA.2 replacement after it was retired, called Harrier III.
I created a forum on it, search on my profile to find it.

2 Likes

Seems likely tbh.

Extremely excited for the FA.2, is it too ambitious to think the update will drop next week?

@Gunjob I know the Devs have made MFDs more realistic with better utility, any word if this will extend to cockpit warning lights and such? Plenty of these in the Shar!

Next week will be too soon.

2 weeks at least.

Warning lights and stuff can wait, we are in dire need of the correct HUD.

3 Likes

Oh I’m aware of that but I hold very little hope. Think it took over a year for the Viggen to get it’s gun piper, can’t imagine they’ll be in a rush for the Shars. I’m guessing their argument will be that at least it has a “functioning” HUD. Even the Tonka still doesn’t have radar target identification without cueing a missile, how long has that been? And it’s an absolute necessity in SB.

2 Likes

God I hope the FA2 gets it’s proper HUD, having the Gr3 one currently is a tad sad.

I’m guessing week after next for the update, maybe the week after

1 Like

does anyone know if you can run BOL on the dual sidewinder splitters?

No you can’t. Was probably technically possible, but was never wired IRL.

Ah shame

unrelatedly does anyone have a copy of Air International for December 1999?
I’ve seen a couple of comments that it refers to a six amraam configuration, so wanted to do a little digging, but I can’t find a copy of the right issue, figure I’d ask just in case any of you have it laying around.

If all else fails, you can buy it.

1 Like

thirty dollar shipping does not float my boat lmao. Figured I’d just ask, and if someone has it try and find the source for their claim

Think I’ve found the quote you want to investigate.

I too, am now curious.

Air International December 1999 Page 356.
Classics compared.
… FA2 is arguably the most capable fleet air arm defence fighter of its generation. The aircraft can carry up to four AIM-120 AMRAAM BVR Air-to-air missiles, or two AMRAAMs and four AIM-9s, and without external fuel could even carry four AIM-120s and four AIM-9s.

8 total AAMs…worth investigating

7 Likes

exactly what interested me lmao, found it trying to find a harrier with a black “E” on the tail instead of a white one

5 Likes

I still think the FA2’s inboard pylons are wired for AMRAAM. It is too cheap to let it pass. I havent found any comments of any twin rail ready for use of AMRRAM in RN service. They exist. In a 1994-5 USNI proceedings there was a portrait of a F/A-18 with 4 twin rails armed with AMRAAMs leaving an impressive total of a 12 AMRRAMs loadout. I recycled it, I dont have enough space for all that books and magacines at home. But it must not be too difficult to find in UK or USA.

1 Like

@Gunjob yo whats your opinion on this? any hope we can get it?

In the voice of Dwight from The Office, I can just imagine us calling for gunjob for clarification.

Gunjob!
Gunjob!
There’s new information we must investigate!

4 Likes

“Oh, mighty knower of the Sea Harrier and all thing British, declare to us whether the good tidings in fact be truth!”

3 Likes

Bless us, O Gunjob, and these Thy gifts of technical knowledge, which we are about to receive from Thy bounty, through Gunjob our Lord. Amen.

3 Likes

christ if we’re going down the road of prayer writing i’m making one to the god of AMRAAMs to make mine hit more

4 Likes

I don’t know why. But this jumped into my head right about now

Spoiler

aLDDq1P_460s

2 Likes