BAe Sea Harrier - Technical data and discussion

The currently Blue Fox is as close as we’re going to get without more information. I have an order with the FAA Museum for the Nav/Attack manual but its very slow going as they need MOD clearance which is talking alot of time. Plus I expect it to set me back £300-400~ for the copying costs. (FAA Museum is expensive.)

5 Likes

What are all the manuals for both Sea Harriers that you have?

AP 101B-4801-15A - Aircrew Manual - Sea Harrier FRS.1 - April 1984
AP 101B-4802-15A Sea Harrier FA.2 Aircraft And Systems - March 1997 (missing sections)
AP 101B-4802-15B Sea Harrier FA.2 Operations - March 1997 (missing sections)
DAP 101B-4802-15A Sea Harrier FA.2 Aircraft And Systems - July 2002
DAP 101B-4802-15B Sea Harrier FA.2 Operations - July 2002

And a shit load of reports from the National Archives thanks to @Flame2512

3 Likes

I’m talking FRS.1 here
Also, are you in need of Financial assistance :(

1 Like

No ahah its okay.

1 Like

Impressive

Had a thought brought on from another thread about carriers.

Could Harriers like the Sea Harrier and Harrier II actually be launched using CATOBAR? Like we have in game?

Harrier II yes as spain does it

1 Like

What? I’m not aware of any CAT and TRAP Harrier Ops. The Spanish have a ski jump.

1 Like

They don’t have a launch bar on the landing gear or hooks on the fuselage/wings for a bridle in order to engage with a catapult

2 Likes

I mean even if they did the outriggers would melt.

maybe im going mad

Uh not to my knowledge. You watch all the Falklands footage of SHAR FRS.1 and none of them are ever Catted, and Tremor’s account in his book points towards FA.2 and Harrier II being unable to cat.

Yeah, they always used Ramped assisted STOVL but just wondered if CATOBAR was even possible.

Nah, wasn’t built for it. The outriggers aren’t designed to work at those speeds, even if the fuselage could take it and it doesn’t have a hook either.

4 Likes

I thought so, thank you. The convo is the other thread was talking about adding Ramped Carriers. I doubt WT can handle such an addition currently (they can barely get CATOBAR Carriers working reliably)

So yeah, would be cool to get Ramped Carriers in the future to replace the CATOBAR for such aircraft

i thought i saw a EAV8B take off from one but i might be thinking of their Hornets

By the looks of things, they dont need a ramp like the Sea Harriers I think did:

Harrier II doesn’t have Cat equipment either. AV-8B operated off Tarawas (or could) and I know that thing definitely didn’t have a Cat.
Standard procedure is something like nozzles 30, flaps at STOL, full power, and the ski jump and bernoullis do the rest for TO.

Landing, is of course, bludgeoning the laws of physics into submission, with a bit of Vertical Landing.

3 Likes

Yep, ramps aren’t really necessary for any Harrier. They’re just more efficient in getting the plane in the air with a shorter takeoff roll carrying more payload and using less fuel
The US operated both the AV-8A and AV-8B from flat decks (CVs, LHDs and LHAs). They just have a bigger takeoff run. IIRC the smallest US ships that employed a Harrier air group were Iwo Jima-class LPHs that were several meters shorter than the RN’s Invincible-class

6 Likes