BAe Sea Harrier - Technical data and discussion

Oh I am aware. The Blue Vixen was even preposed to replace the Fox Hunter in the F.3, sadly they carried on upgrading the Fox Hunter. But yes the Blue Vixen is a very modern multimode radar.

Did the FRS.1 carry any fire and forget anti ship weapons? Would be quite nice for Sim

Carried Sea Eagle which has an active seeker so would be fire and forget, this is what I have on it;

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 Like

So basically the same as the Komoran mechanic wise? Is there a Suggestion for it already open or should I do one?

I’ll pop something in for it this evening.

2 Likes

That would be great. I just hope the active radar Missle mechanic will be reworked at some point, I hear the Komoran sadly still have the tendency to target the highest point of the ship.

My theory is that the FRS.1 and FA.2 will get it at the same time. Hopefully…

Ive been meaning to spend a while gathering screenshots of it for a report. What i think is happening is the same that happens with all guided weapons when you lock onto a naval target. It locks onto the “centre” of the ship. And so weapons like the Koroman hit way too high and some weapons like Paveways miss altogether. We need a rework of how the target box with naval targets i think and i have some suggestions for it

1 Like

images-54
Sidewinder rail on the inner wing pylon?

Pretty sure that’s a RAIDS pod.

1 Like

Zam, almost thought it could carry missiles on both pylons :'(

Still strange to see it on that pylon. They typically go in place of a Sidewinder.

Will admit that is odd. I was under the impression that pylon was wired for fuel and bombs only.

Also missing gun pods / fins for stabilization. I thought the Harrier needed them.

It accepts Sea Eagle, so must have a decent bit of wiring go to it.

Did all of the FA.2 accept sea eagle? Figured the FA.2 manuals limitation of stores page would have had it.

Some of them definitely carried it:

I think Sea Eagle was retired before Sea Harrier though. So depending when the manual was dated that might explain it.

1 Like

I mean, it looks like it is running without them here, don’t know if it actually flew.

It was only the Harrier II where they were an integral part of the Lift Improvement Device System (LIDS), to increase lift in vertical flight esp. for carrying additional weight.

First generation Harriers don’t have the forward fence/flap that deploys when the landing gear are down, so cannot fully utilise the LIDS concept.
The presence of the gunpods trapping air under the fuselage and providing some additional lift in VTOL operation of the small wing Harrier, was probably a happy accident that was discovered and could be exploited when carrying full loads with wing tanks and munitions, rather than being by design. But it doesn’t seem necessary when carrying a light load, and it’s only beneficial for STOVL performance which you don’t need so much for runway operation.

2 Likes

Always informative cheers!

Whilst we’re talking technical…Something that isn’t modeled, if only just a visual thing…

When the landing gear is selected down, the speed brake/air brake, should deploy partially (not sure whether it was automatic or had to be done by pilots manually) as this was required to improve the Harriers low speed handing.

It was mentioned in David Morgan’s Hostile Skies book, as before the SHar officially had chaff, they Jerry-Rigged a makeshift chaff dispenser behind the speed brake, and the issue they had to overcome was, it not dumping all the chaff whilst it was partially deployed.