BAe Sea Harrier - Technical data and discussion

Personally I would prefer if they added an even later version in the normal tech tree with the sole purpose of having AIM-9M’s. I’d prefer the one at 10.3, another at 10.7 and a third at 11.3.

by this point just give us a FA.2 with 9Ms (no amraams would also be fine) we dont really need a third FRS.1

They can’t do that it will ruin me

I was flying the FRS1 the other night and was experiencing far more ground clutter interferance than I’d expect. I think Schindibee also touched on this a few weeks ago. Even at alt, with the nose of the aircraft pointing up, you seem to get quite a bit of interferance.

Is this a bug that needs reporting or is this expected behaviour. Would have figured that a aircraft/radar designed for naval air defence it would be a little better than most for handling ground clutter (I also took the Phantom FG1 out and its SRC mode was fine and what I was expecting in terms of ground clutter on the radar)

lets be fair it would make SHAR a unique vehicle. for more than 1 reason anyway.

1 Like

I feel if they add it, it’ll go up in BR ((

FA.2 with 9M’s would sit well there, would be bumped up with addition of amraam

they would probably drop it to 12.0because of the radar and BOLs

The BOL’s yes. The radar probably no.

OH NVM just saw the AV8B+ sits also at 11.7

Even then, unlike the Gr7 or AV8B+. It’s 4x Aim9M and no BOL or 2x Aim9M and 2x BOl (or 3x Aim9M and 1x BOL). So would be a lot less than either of the Harrier II. Would still likely be 11.7, but might scrape 11.3.

can’t it use the sidewinder rail with countermeasures?

See the OP

It uses the double rail to get 4 missiles, bol can be only one

So what’s the name of the sidewinder rail on the Gr.7 and Gripen?

It’s like the FRS1 and it’s dual 9L rails. But BOL can’t be fitted on those dual rails

Ok i think made it sound wrong. The Shar 2 uses harrier 1 base, so it has 2 pylons per wing, while GR 7 has 4 per wing. That is why Shar 2 has to use double rail, just like squad Shar 1, to mount 4 missile on the double rail on the outboard pylon. But bol cant be mounted on the double rail. So you either mount double rail with 2 9m or you mount a bol with 9M.
Inboard pylons are for fuel tanks and dumb munition, so neither missile nor bol can be mounted there.
Also i dont think the bol(what would be a better term to call amraam/Skyflash rail, bol or crl?) was mounted under fuselage, but i might be wrong.

Quick diagram.

On the Sea Harrier FA2 on the wings you have a choice between these 2 configurations and only 1 hardpoint for AAMs per wing. (You can also have AMRAAM instead of Sidewinder, but only with the single rail, though should still be able to have a BOL)

I understand that. What I’m asking is: the sidewinder rail. On the F-14B, Tornado F.3, JAS39, and Harrier Gr.7. that has 160 countermeasures in it. Was that ever fitted to the Shar FA.2?

I think they are the same ones. 160 per BOL. So 2x BOL = 320

Then plus the 60 internal like the FRS1 has. So 380 total when running 2x BOL.