BAe Sea Harrier - Technical data and discussion

OH NVM just saw the AV8B+ sits also at 11.7

Even then, unlike the Gr7 or AV8B+. It’s 4x Aim9M and no BOL or 2x Aim9M and 2x BOl (or 3x Aim9M and 1x BOL). So would be a lot less than either of the Harrier II. Would still likely be 11.7, but might scrape 11.3.

can’t it use the sidewinder rail with countermeasures?

See the OP

It uses the double rail to get 4 missiles, bol can be only one

So what’s the name of the sidewinder rail on the Gr.7 and Gripen?

It’s like the FRS1 and it’s dual 9L rails. But BOL can’t be fitted on those dual rails

Ok i think made it sound wrong. The Shar 2 uses harrier 1 base, so it has 2 pylons per wing, while GR 7 has 4 per wing. That is why Shar 2 has to use double rail, just like squad Shar 1, to mount 4 missile on the double rail on the outboard pylon. But bol cant be mounted on the double rail. So you either mount double rail with 2 9m or you mount a bol with 9M.
Inboard pylons are for fuel tanks and dumb munition, so neither missile nor bol can be mounted there.
Also i dont think the bol(what would be a better term to call amraam/Skyflash rail, bol or crl?) was mounted under fuselage, but i might be wrong.

Quick diagram.

On the Sea Harrier FA2 on the wings you have a choice between these 2 configurations and only 1 hardpoint for AAMs per wing. (You can also have AMRAAM instead of Sidewinder, but only with the single rail, though should still be able to have a BOL)

I understand that. What I’m asking is: the sidewinder rail. On the F-14B, Tornado F.3, JAS39, and Harrier Gr.7. that has 160 countermeasures in it. Was that ever fitted to the Shar FA.2?

I think they are the same ones. 160 per BOL. So 2x BOL = 320

Then plus the 60 internal like the FRS1 has. So 380 total when running 2x BOL.

Ok wait. I get it now.

So is it a size thing that prevents the bol from being used on the twin rack or is it electronics?

That I have no idea about. @Gunjob might know though.

Im guessing a combo of size, weight and wiring

Obligatory @Gunjob mention.

If in doubt, the almighty corgi will probably know the answer :D

It’s more a case of there being no evidence that it was ever done, than a case of there being evidence it was impossible to do.

3 Likes

on the inboard pylons, maybe the Chaff/Flares would foul the aircraft on deployment?

Not sure why the Outboard pylons wouldn’t carry them.

We are talking about mounting bol on the double rails, the ones seen on the squad Shar

1 Like

yeah I know. presumably the inboard ones with BOL rails might’ve fouled the exhausts?