BAe Sea Harrier - Technical data and discussion

AMRAAM is lighter though (i think this as the AIM7 is heavier then the AIM120)

1 Like

Can you send me the manufacturer bits I have a report in for this but that will be the missing piece.

Yeah its pretty clear that it is the CRL with the BOL attachment in the manual;

Here you go: Flight Refuelling :: Products >> Auxilliary Mission Equipment >> Common Rail Launcher

Flight refueling is the old name for Cobham Limited (a UK defence company).

2 Likes

Just realised that website link really does have all you need:

as well as a ballasted rear section which is interchangeable with the BOL 539 chaff dispenser system.

And

The Common Rail Launcher is currently capable of deploying the following weapons:

• Skyflash
1 Like

Yep added to my report. Got a good few pictures of the CRL with BOL on there too. It supporting Skyflash though, very nice find. I was just speculating it would support a range of missiles.

3 Likes

Well, that’s my 4 Harrier books finished.

Now onto one that isn’t Aircraft Specific.
Still Falklands war, but from a British Spy stationed in Argentina in the run up to, and during the conflict.

I think we need to start a book club on here 🤔

4 Likes

Hottest take of them all. Wonder if imma get any books for christmas haha.

As mentioned on the archived Cobham site, Japan’s F-2As are also using CRL. If more proof were needed that it can launch Skyflash and other Sparrow derivatives, Japan actively uses it to mount AIM-7M.

They use it for their AAM-4 as well

Interestingly the Jaguar GR.3 we’ve seen with ASRAAM was also using CRL on the over-wing pylon instead of the usual LAU-7

2 Likes

Now that is spicy!

1 Like

That brings the total countermeasures up to?

i think you might be in the wrong place

Well, from what i understand it is a skyflash and a bol, so 160 per rail

My bad

Nah, Sea Harrier FA2 has DU armour 😜

2xCRL/BOL 320CM
2xALE-40 60CM
380CMs

2 Likes

That would be very funny ngl. Uk mod spending 3 years worth of budget to slap DU plates in the SHar. Only for it to fall into the river

4 Likes

Hehe, one way to defend against gun fire

1 Like

3 Likes

That’s the MODs amphibious SHar.