BAe Harrier II (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

So should the GR7 MAWS only go off if a missile is going for you

Yes, they are PD for a reason.

Yeah but how does it know a missile is going for it

It scans for a fast moving contact thay is going on the direction of a plane.

Yeah that what i thought had people telling me it would be worse then IR for some reason

Well, it can be jammed.

Well they meant in game they somehow think it would go off more then IR

The other way around. It should not go off when contacts do not go at the planw

Thats what i said but they think it would just go after anything fast moving and kept talking about closing time

“Yes, it would. Because the 111’s MAWS only reacts to the heat plume of the rocket motor. That is going by closure rate. Which means even missiles that have burned out their motors at extreme range can and will set it off.”

If the missile will be determined by system, using relatvie speed, distance, closure rate and rcs as dangerous, system will send a warning.

I wouldn’t be absolutely certain that that is the case since IR systems could use reverse proportional navigation , and so declare only contacts with a Constant bearing (zero angular rate) to be missiles.

Depending on the detector’s band gap it may also be sensitive to black body radiation given off by the missile due to heat generated by skin friction, at a shorter range and so still be able to detect missiles post motor burnout, though at a shorter range since they can often get up to supersonic speeds, which generates quite a bit of heat.

1 Like

Thank you for you explanations

I feel kinda bad for asking this (I feel like I am going to look very stupid), but I’ve had a pretty major question bugging me about the BAE Harrier IIs, since I’ve seen people mention it:
Would the Harrier GR.9A be a justifiable addition (even with the GR.7 being in-game, and also getting more and better weapons), or would it be redundant?

If added, what would it get that the GR.7 wouldn’t?

HMD. If its 9a it will have a stronger engine. When it comes to loadouts it will most likely get Sniper pod and more advanced things like Brimsones, better Mavs, Pavs IV/ EPavs, maybe ASRAAM and Storm Shadow

3 Likes

Okay, so I could absolutely see Gaijin adding it in the future then lol

1 Like

How strong is Sniper pod in comparison to ingame Damocles? It is currently the best TPOD on fix wing in the game.

Both Gen 3, Sniper should have better zoom.

1 Like

there appears to be a bug with the Gr7 where it can no longer take this load out even tho its not over the weight limit

yet I still have the load out and can use it in game

1 Like

They changed the max wing load, wonder if its correct tho.