BAC Jet Provost T.5: The Toothed Trainer

Do you want to see this in game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

BAC Jet Provost

Hello! Welcome to my suggestion for the BAC jet provost, a mainstay of the RAF training for decades, i feel this could come as a light attack alternative to the Strikemaster that has been added as a battlepass vehicle.

History

Spoiler

Early in 1951 Hunting Percival had anticipated a demand for a jet based trainer based was on the horizon and so began working on the design studies that would ultimately lead to the Jet Provost. During the design Process Hunting Percival Reused as many components as possible from their previous Propeller driven Provost in RAF service in order to streamline the development process, because of this only 3 years after development started the first prototype XD674 made its maiden flight from Luton airport. Following this success the prototype was then submitted to RAF Boscombe Down for official trials and testing concluded it was satisfactory with only limited modification needed for RAF service and the first pre production models entered RAF service the following year.

Following on from the success in RAF Service, the Jet Provost also saw success on the export market with the T.5 variant being used by several countries, including Portugal, Nigeria and Iraq, who used the Provost for Training and Light Attack duties. Due to this success the Provost was also developed into the BAC Strikemaster we see in game which also saw success on the export market.

The story of the Provost and its COIN roles are often overshadowed by its more capable brother, the BAC Strikemaster, however not many know about the Provosts duties in a light attack role, whilst never fully utilised to this extent like the Hawk, the provost did have attack capabilities, something that started with the prototype T.2 and then further perfected on the T.5, the T.5 had the provisions for mounting 4 pylons of armament under its wings allowing for it to carry a rather large amount of ordinance (although limited conpared to the strikemaster) mainly consisting of SNEB rocket pods and 500/540 lbs bombs. In addition to this, the T.5 seems to have had the provision for two 7.62mm Machine guns under the air intakes along with all the systems and machinery required to use them, however these would only be fitted to the export T.55s to sudan.

Photos

Spoiler

Shows a possible Camouflage for the Provost

Image of a Provost carrying armament (Possibly Practice Munitions)

Diagrams showing two potential camos for the Provost in game, note the bottom one is already featured as a marketplace skin for the Strikemaster Mk.88

The BAC Stikemaster prototype, you can clearly see the similarities between this and the Provost

A T.5 in flight over Yorkshire in summer 1978

Another interesting camo for the provost, featuring a tricolour scheme

A Provost performing a flypast of RAF College Cranwell in september 1969

Specifications/Armament

Spoiler

Crew: 2 (Pilot and Instructor}
Length: 34ft 0in (10.36m)
Wingspan: 35ft 4in (10.77m)
Height: 10 ft 2 in (3.10 m)
Wing area: 213.7 sq ft (19.85 m2)
Empty weight: 4,888 lb (2,217 kg)
Gross weight: 6,989 lb (3,170 kg)
Max takeoff weight: 9,200 lb (4,173 kg)
Powerplant: Armstrong Siddeley Viper Mk.202 turbojet engine, 2,500 lbf (11,120.55 N)
Maximum speed: 382 kn (440 mph, 707 km/h) at 25,000 ft (7,620 m)
Range: 780 nmi (900 mi, 1,440 km) with tip tanks.
Service ceiling: 36,750 ft (11,200 m)
Rate of climb: 4,000 ft/min (20 m/s)
Wing loading: 32.7 lb/sq ft (160 kg/m2)

Guns:

• 2× 0.303 in (7.7 mm) machine guns (provision for them, never used in actively in RAF service)

Rockets:

• 6× 60 lb rockets (27 kg)

• 12× 25 lb rockets (11 kg)

• 28x 68 mm SNEB rockets in four pods

Bombs:

• 4× 500/ 540 lb bombs (245 kg)

T.5 In game

Spoiler

In game the T.5 would function very similar to the Strikemaster however slglightly worse, it would be a low BR jet who’s main role would be in ground battles providing close air support to allies, it would most likely struggle in air battles due to its lackluster offensive armament and small bombload meaning it would be useless for anything other than attacking truck columns and pillboxes.

Because the British tree does struggle with good CAS aircraft at the 6.0 - 7.0 brackets i feel that either this or the Strikemaster Mk.82 would be a good addition as a TT vehicle to help give british CAS a slight boost at these BRs

Feel free to check out this post for the Strikemaster Mk.82 as well as it could potentially fill the same roles and gaps the Provost would.

BAC Strikemaster Mk.82: Oh Man

Sources

Spoiler

Jet Provost - British hunting aircraft and hunting bomber | MiGFlug.com
BAC Jet Provost - Wikipedia
https://www.baesystems.com/en-uk/heritage/jet-provost
Hunting Percival Jet Provost / P.84
https://www.skytamer.com/British_Aircraft_Jet_Provost_T.5A.html

3 Likes

+1

another thing to note that there is a dedicated strike variant of the Jet-Provost built for the Sudanese Air Force as well as multiple Strikemaster variants that can be add as well

1 Like

I considered them as well but the main problem is that there is no guarantee that any non british aircraft will come to the TT, the best we have for the strikemaster is that some british pilots flew Omani strikemasters so this is the next best thing

1 Like

There is 3 or 4 Strikemasters that could potentially be added to the TT

Strikemaster Mk.80/80A: Strikemasters operated by Saudi-Arabia
Strikemaster Mk.82: Strikemasters operated by Oman
Strikemaster Mk.83: Strikemasters operated first by Kuwait, later some by Botswana
Strikemaster Mk.87: Strikemasters operated by Kenya

Also the UK did test the Strikemaster domestically as well

3 Likes

Yeah i’d love to see one of these in game as well, the provost can be very hard to come across reasonable information to prove things like weaponry.

However Smin told me that there was no plans for a TT Strikemaster in the near future but did hint that a provost wasnt out of the picture and told me to make a suggestion giving me the idea that we might see one in the near future

1 Like

However Smin told me that there was no plans for a TT Strikemaster in the near future but did hint that a provost wasnt out of the picture and told me to make a suggestion giving me the idea that we might see one in the near future

The thing with that is that Gaijin has a tendency to deny/state that they won’t add something only to add it anyways at a later date so it is not impossible to get a TT or the very least a Squadron Strikemaster. It just we need to get sufficient data to convince Gaijin to add it

2 Likes

I hope you are right just Smin was really exited about the strikemaster and seemed to jump at the opportunity when i suggested the provost which makes me genuinely think there are no current plans for one

3 Likes

+1

2 Likes

Some additional images for the potential Camouflage paint scheme

Spoiler

1 Like

Also found this on the armament of the Mk 55 ( an export variant of the T.5 so some armament will most likely be intercompatible)

• For the Mk 55, these include: two 75 Imp gallon (341 liter) fuel tanks; 12 × 8-cm Oerlikon 9-7 kg rockets; 18 × 8-cm Hispano-Suiza 11-9-kg rockets; 72 × 37mm SNEB rockets in four Matra launchers; four FN 7-62-mm; machine-guns in two pods (500 rounds per gun); 48 × 2-in rockets in two White & Riches launchers; 24 × 2-75-in rockets in four Matra launchers; four Aérospatiale AS.11 missiles; 6 × 3-in Mk 6 rockets with 60-1b heads or twelve with 25-1b heads; six Type T.10 rockets with 28-kg heads; four HVAR rockets with 35-1b or 52-1b heads; 28 × 68-mm SNEB rockets in four Matra launchers; two Beagle reconnaissance packs, each with one F.95 camera; eight 25-1b practice bombs; four 540-1b bombs; two 500-lb GP bombs, or eight 19-1b fragmentation bombs.

also this on the Regular T.5

• Provision is made for a camera recorder, and two 7-62-mm FN machine-guns (with 550 rpg) are fitted in the nose of each engine air intake duct.
  • Strong points are provided under each wing for the carriage of external stores.

Source:
https://www.skytamer.com/British_Aircraft_Jet_Provost_T.5A.html

1 Like

I support this as a TT variant for sure, along with any other versions. +1

1 Like

+1, I wasn’t aware that the T.5 could carry armament, so this would be a cool addition!

1 Like

found some images on WT live by Firing_Ma_laser back in 2017 showing the Provosts cockpit

Spoiler

note the rails for mounting a gun sight on top of the dash

This seems valid enough to have them in the British tech tree to me. The MiG-15s in the Soviet tree are marked as North Korean on the basis that Soviet pilots were flying them for the KPAAF during the Korean War just as British pilots were flying Strikemasters for Oman and supporting UK Special Forces that were on the ground during the Dhofar Rebellion.

4 Likes

Id hope we also get a tech tree stikemaster at some point, possibly if we get another air line in future it would be a light attack/ trainer line with Provost → Jet provost → Strikemaster (OMAN) → Hawk T.1 → Hawk T.2/ 100 → Hawk 200 etc.

1 Like

I guess Jet Provost T Mk. 5 would be 6.0 BR but not sure add before Swift F.1 or Vampire FB.5 ?

Strikemaster Mk 82 from Oman could be tech tree ?

The T.5 would probs go at rank IV before the swifts (the Strikemaster 88 is at rank IV also)

The Mk.82 was flown by British pilots in combat to support British ground troops, just under the Omani flag so it has a similar precedence to the USSRs north Korean Mig 15 bis. (I’ve got a suggestion pending for the Mk.82)

2 Likes