Armor problem for top tier

We’re not pretending mr rifled gun and hesh with underpowered engine is good in 2024 i mean at least the main gunner sight isnt attached to the breech like the ZTZ-99

1 Like

I mean, it kinda is. While everyone was moving towards highly mobile, armoured platforms, the Chally was a slow, underarmoured box with a rifled gun from the 60s. It was so bad and outdated that they immediately refreshed the thing into the Chally 2.

1 Like

The consequences of MBT-80 being cancelled will forever annoy me

1 Like

British MIC goes ACK!

1 Like

trvthnvke

HESH proved itself highly valuable during Op Granby on the Challenger 1s and so when they were developing the Challenger 2, it was decided to keep that capability. Especially when you consider that tank vs tank combat was consider ever more unlikely in the 1990s and early 2000s. The ability to use HESH to take out buildings and fortifications gave the Challenger 2 quite a degree of value in a combined arms formation.

Yes, unfortunately it does. This is the MoD / British gov at work. But in part because reliability was generally considered more important and as far as I am aware, it is a very reliable engine.

That isnt true though. Dont take Gaijins modeling as evidence of that. The Challenger 2 was and still is considered one of the better armoured tanks in the world. Especially the up-armoured variants like the TES that took an insane amount of fire on several instances and came out virtually unscratched. It is only in a certain recent conflict that they have sustained any losses and even then, in part due to a lack of Dorchester external armour.

You also have all the things that gaijin doesnt or wont model. Like the Hunter kills system and targetting systems. There is a reason why the Challenger 2 routinely wins most NATO tank gunnery exercises with its “outdated” gun.

Im confused now whether you are talking about the Challenger 1 or the Challenger 2. But that “rifled gun from the 60s” did and I think still does, hold the record for the longest range tank kill in history if you are refering to the Challenger 1

On a T-55. Hardly a modern opponent.

That isnt true though. Dont take Gaijins modeling as evidence of that.

I’m not. I’m taking tank trials as evidence of that. Besides, we’re talking about the Chally here, not the Chally 2.

Plenty of open bug reports for the Challenger 1 as well I beleive

HESH is literally only good against concrete structures in every other aspect its directly inferior to HE also it wasnt kept because it did okay during granby it was kept because of needing commonality with challenger 1 when it came to the gun, ammunition and various other parts

lol lmao

Its really not so far in its first conflict against an equal opponent and not guys in sandals with RPGs and T-54s its been knocked out in one hit every time doesn’t help that it would be too heavy to even move offroad if it recieved any armour packages

Its genuinely inferior to russian MBTs when it comes to FCS it doesn’t have the automatic targeting and lead like the T-90M or B3 and im pretty sure leopard 2A7, 2A8 and the Abrams SEP have a better FCS than the chally currently that if implemented in game would make the chally even worse

You posted a screenshot of a video game claiming that x is x … You do realize that a screenshot of a video game actually is not a source right?

1 Like

There seems to be a slight misunderstanding here. Challenger 1 had its issues, but Challenger 2 was not developed as a replacement for Challenger 1.

Challenger 2 was actually developed as a replacement for the UK’s remaining Chieftain tanks (at the time the UK had a mixed fleet of Chieftains and Challenger 1s). It was planned that the Challenger 1 & 2 would serve alongside eachother, with CR1 hopefully recieving some upgrades too.

Of course in reality Government spending cuts stuck again and they decided they could save money by just retiring CR1 once CR2 entered service.

1 Like

And when were those released? 2A8 Isn’t even out yet.