An Insight on Gripen's capabilities

HMD is incredibly valuable regardless of missile.

Being forced to point your entire aircraft at a bogey just to get tone is massively disadvantageous since you’re compromising your position for it. Having HMD allows you to stay on your advantageous path/circle and still get missiles off

4 Likes

i’m not saying is not valuable, but is not as valuable as it is for a missile like the R-73; anyway i think gaijin wants to give gripen A to sweden this patch and then the C later while keeping the A at lower Br without amraams, aswell as adding a premium gripen in the future. if that’s not the case i don’t really see why they would do that

https://web.archive.org/web/20060925235139/http://www.canit.se/~griffon/aviation/text/oden/

From the new datamine, good / bad / not important changes?

The 60t is a problem

So it wont be able to carry 4 GBU-24s anymore? Never payed attention to max carry weight.

No the mass of the plane i think
Its not that heavy or we are reading it wrong but people are saying its the weight

I dont think the grippen was 160t before…

The entire “full mass” number seems to be off imo.

60 tons
We must be reading it wrong or something as that ten times its mass

1 Like

very good changes, that reduces the drag of the plane, especially the stabilizers one… the thing i do not understand is if that is a general one or not, because it should vary depending on the Mach (the higher the better)

1 Like

Did the gripen A not have a drop tank or did gaijin just not add it yet?

Don’t forget, the leading edge slats on the wing also help a lot, slats are a big part of the reason f16 can rate so well, and THE reason the F4E outperforms every F4 that doesn’t have them. For those that don’t know: When pulling aoa the slats angle into the airflow and re-direct it over the wing. this creates a lot more lift and a lot less drag by preventing the air from becoming turbulent and dispersing across the LE of the wing instead of a flowing over the whole surface.

1 Like

Interestingly, Gripen A actually used Skyflash, but there is not a single photo with it.

there’s No way the gripen weighs 60tons,the weight of the F16 and F18 is 10-11 tons
and these are very capable fighters so i think the actual number is 16-6 T but they added a 0 for some reason

If I May correct you, the task of the slat Is to move the L.E. towards the front stagnation point, preventing the separation of the flow at High AOA and consequently the Stall (Remember that the Stall Is the condition of max Lift but also Max Drag)… The flow Will be turbolent no matter what and that’s a Huge plus, cause It helps itself to stay adiacent to the airfoil delaying the separation from the wing; but the idea Is right☺️

1 Like

lets goooo hmd for the gripen A

1 Like

You are correct about the slats, but not the stall. stall is the condition of ZERO lift, unless you meant right before the stall. but yes, the air is still turbulent, but it is directed over the wing (at least more than without them) to create more lift in high aoa situations than would otherwise be. this makes it so the plane pulls around the corner more and “drift” through it less which makes for less energy bleed. but whatever the case, thank you for explaining it better than i could. I’ve seen it in action a lot but not very good at explaining things lol

Where was this posted?

A bit into the post there is info on the JAS39.

1 Like

under the dev blog about the gripen

1 Like