• No
0 voters
Where do you want to see this vehicle?
  • BeNeLux tree
  • France
  • Other
  • I said no
0 voters

Welcome to another suggestion for a Belgian vehicle. This time we’ll be having a look at a Belgian version of the French AMX VCI platform, the AMX-13 mod.56 ENTAC.

AMX-ENTAC-Juva.jpg

In the mid-to-late 50s, Belgium was looking to replace to American-built M75 APCs that it had received, the replacement would eventually become the French AMX VCI. The latter was an APC based on the AMX-13 chassis. As such it did not feature the iconic oscillating turret of the French vehicle. Belgium ended up acquiring 555 units of the type, 523 of which were locally built by C.F.C. Familleureux. They operated 5 different types of the vehicle in different numbers. 305 troop transports, 72 mobile command posts, 90 mortar vehicles, 58 cargo vehicles, and 30 ENTAC vehicles. It is the latter that we are interested in. This AMX VCI, locally also known as AMX-13 mod.56, was equipped with the French ENTAC wire-guided anti-tank missile. The AMX VTTs in all their forms would stay in service until 1988 when they were finally fully replaced by M113s and AIFVs, however, the ENTAC models were upgraded with MILAN missiles in the mean time (but that is for another suggestion).

Mazaelle-AMX-ENTAC.jpg

The main armament of the vehicle obviously consisted of the ENTAC missile. These were fitted on top of a dual mount at the back of the vehicle. The AMX ENTAC could be equipped with 1 or 2 launchers as can be seen on the two images above. The ENTAC missile is a very early wire-guided missile that used MCLOS guidance, it first entered service in 1957 and was produced until 1974. The missile had a range of up to 2000m and a top speed of 305 km/h. Its 4 kg shaped-charge warhead could supposedly penetrate up to 650mm of armor. I couldn’t find any information on how much ammo the vehicle could store, but given the limited size of the missile, relatively large storage area, and small operating crew of the AMX VCI, I can only imagine it would be able to take a few more pieces of ammo inside. The vehicle had a crew of 3: a driver, commander, and gunner. Belgium made no changes to the engine of the vehicle so we can assume that normal stats apply. The roughly 15t vehicle was powered by a SOFAM Model 8Gxb 8-cyl. water-cooled petrol engine which produced 250hp, this gave the vehicle a power-to-weight ratio of about 16.7 hp/t and a top speed of 60 km/h.

General Characteristics:

• Length: 5.70m
  • Width: 2.67m
  • Height: 2.41m
  • Weight: 15 Tons
  • Crew: 3 Driver, commander, gunner
  • Propulsion: SOFAM 8Gxb 8-cyl. gasoline carb. liquid-cooled 250 hp
  • Power-to-weight: 16.7 hp/t
  • Top Speed: 60 km/h
  • Range: 350 km

Armament:

• Up to 2 double launchers for the ENTAC missile.
    • Range: 2000m
    • Top speed: 305 km/h
    • Armor penetration: 650mm

In-game:

This vehicle could serve as a very early guided-missile carrier, comparable to the Japanese Type 60 ATM. The missiles of both vehicles are nearly identical, featuring the same range and top speed. The AMX ENTAC should at least prove to be a more flexible launch platform thanks to its rotatable launchers. The launchers are elevated above the vehicle and can be controlled from the cupola, this should allow you to fire without exposing too much of yourself, giving you a significant stealth advantage. The vehicle is probably best played in a support role, trying to stay hidden from the enemy team and hitting them from range when they least expect it. The AMX-13 mod.56 ENTAC could come to a few trees, but the best options, in my opinion, would either be in the future BeNeLux tree or the French tree.

Sources

AMX-13 mod.56 - ABL-History Forum

AMX 13 – Armée Belge Belgisch Leger

Army Guide

Tank Encyclopedia - The Online Tank Museum

AMX 13 ENTAC – Armée Belge Belgisch Leger

ENTAC (ENgin Teleguided Anti-Char, char=tank)

https://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-32.html

Missile, Anti-Tank, Entac, Cutaway | National Air and Space Museum

https://history.redstone.army.mil/miss-entac.html

4 Likes

+1

1 Like

Would be a really fun addition to the French tree. Benelux if it comes, but more likely France. Either way +1

1 Like

+1 for Benelux

1 Like

This is going to be a really painful grind, but I’d rather have it in game than not. I hope this will at least get scouting so it can be somewhat useful independent of getting kills.

1 Like

+1 for MCLOS, a whole generation of early ATGM carriers from the 50s and 60s are missing from the game. Also BENELUX!

2 Likes